Help stuck fitting - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-Feb-2019, 12:58 PM (790) Thread Starter

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
Help stuck fitting

The side tank panels are secured in by a few bolts.
I have one that is stuck, NOT the bolt itself, but the brass receiving female seating that is incorporated into the tank. When I turn the torx 20 bolt head the whole thing just turns, bolt and seating underneath.
Running farkles to the front of the bike, I've been under there numerous times and make every attempt to not be ham-fisted.

I have tried
-slipping a thin screwdriver underneath the grey plastic tab and turning the bolt head
-grabbing the bolt head with a pliers and pulling up/out
-rapping the bolt head with a well-placed hammer strike
-trying to squirt some wd-40 beside the bolt head hoping it will find its way to the threads???

None of this worked

I've seen similar issues on both the Yamaha and Aprilia forums and there are no good solutions. One remedy included cutting the tab with the offending bolt, and then drilling out the bolt. That could be done with this bolt, but really?
I don't know if the bolt is seized in the threads, or the attachemnt of the seating to the tank failed or some combo of both...and I did not overtighten, I don't think.
Before I am forced to cut an opening medially to slide the tab out from under the bolt or surgically amputate the tab, any wisdom from y'all?
It is this bolt. and TIA
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-Feb-2019, 03:32 PM (897)
Gordo 2018 1200 GSA

There are a couple of thing I would look at.
If the female nut is spinning, can it be pulled out of its housing? Or pulled up enough to get some pliers in to grab it?

You can cut the tab, but will only allow you to take the panel off and you will have to make another tab....but still have the original problem.

You could try pushing down with mild pressure rather than lifting, pushing down might hold the female nut better by forcing down into its housing.

If you can loosen it a few threads you might be able to get a drop of glue onto the nut, just enough to hold it in place to get the bolt out.

As a last resort you could Use a dremel to grind the top of the bolt and then glue the female brass nut in with epoxy or similar and the drill out the bolt. You would obviously have to source a new bolt (eBay or local BMW workshop)

If you donít have a dremel you could use some files or an angle grinder (I would use an angle grinder myself because it is too big).

My two cents worth, good luck.
Gordo
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-Feb-2019, 04:25 PM (934)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
Can you post a picture of the female fitting on the other side of the bike, so we can get a better idea of what that bolt is seized into?

Can you get a screwdriver, or better, a forked pry bar, between the panel and the tank, and pull the brass insert out of the tank with the panel? Then you could chuck it up in a vise and probably break the bolt loose.

Figure at this point that the hole in the tank is stripped. What's the tank made of? Polyethylene? Nylon? This will determine what kind of adhesive (if any will work) you could use to install a new brass insert.

I hate fittings like this, by the way--they always seem to corrode and seize in this manner. When I encounter one, I always make a point of putting anti-seize on the bolt.
bigjohnsd likes this.

Whizzy brakes, no FD drain plug, what's not to like?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-Feb-2019, 05:46 PM (990) Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick responses! Much appreciated to have other eyes on it.

Quote:
If the female nut is spinning, can it be pulled out of its housing? Or pulled up enough to get some pliers in to grab it?
That's the problem...no, I cannot access it because everything is attached, ie, male bolt->tab from side trim-> female encased-in-tank nut, IOW no access to it.

Quote:
You could try pushing down with mild pressure rather than lifting, pushing down might hold the female nut better by forcing down into its housing.
just tried that, no joy, still spinning underneath the tab, feels like little to no grip at all

I cannot loosen the bolt at all or in any way access the nut underneath the tab. It fits very well (German engineering, but gone awry). The tab is so flush to the tank that I can barely insert a single edge razor blade under the tab.

Quote:
As a last resort you could Use a dremel to grind the top of the bolt and then glue the female brass nut in with epoxy or similar and the drill out the bolt. You would obviously have to source a new bolt
You mean grind away the head of the bolt completely, leaving the shaft inserted? I think I would rather cut a slot in the tab so I could then slide out the side trim, have the bolt head still attached and try to remove it and the recessed-in-the-tank female nut in one piece. I would have the head of the bolt to grab with a vice-grip or similar. I planned on re-seating it using epoxy, JB Weld, something like that. I feel pretty certain I could find a similar bolt, prob a hex head button cap bolt at a hardware store or Home Depot, Lowes etc. I do have a Dremel. On the Aprilia forum someone tried to Dremel or drill the head away and remarked how tough the material was.

Quote:
Can you get a screwdriver, or better, a forked pry bar, between the panel and the tank, and pull the brass insert out of the tank with the panel? Then you could chuck it up in a vise and probably break the bolt loose.
It is really close fitting, a tiny flat blade screwdriver barely can get purchase...a razor blade is a very tight squeeze. The tank appears to be some sort of plastic, and risking damaging the tank is not something I want to risk by wedging something in and levering it.

I'm afraid cutting a slot and sliding the tab outward then addressing the bolt/fastener somehow may be the least damaging course????

This is what piece is spinning (from the other side) shown by the red arrow. The green lines on the other side, the offending side, shows where I would try to make the slotted cuts of the tab. I think thw side panel would still be very secure by putting a washer under the new bolt head, reinforcing the slotted tab.
Attached Images

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-Feb-2019, 06:23 PM (016)
Survivor

Garage
You may be able to cut a slot in the end of the tab where the plastic is at its narrowest. If this can be done, then you may be able to slide the tab out. Given the tight tolerances you described this approach may be difficult.
Dr. Strangelove likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-Feb-2019, 10:17 PM (178)

Have you called the BMW dealer for a suggestion. Surely they've had this come up more than once.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-Feb-2019, 07:56 AM (580)

Garage
Like Gordo said,can the female piece be pulled up with the complete panel if all other fasteners are off ? Whatís holding it in if itís spinning freely ? Maybe gently pried up all together?

2007 r1200GS
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-Feb-2019, 08:34 AM (607)

If you take your Dremel and cut through the flange on the bolt head closer to the bolt body, you can perhaps save more of your flange. Just don't let the bolt head get hot enough to melt the plastic.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-Feb-2019, 09:36 AM (650) Thread Starter

again, thanks for the suggestions, appreciate the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
You may be able to cut a slot in the end of the tab where the plastic is at its narrowest. If this can be done, then you may be able to slide the tab out. Given the tight tolerances you described this approach may be difficult.
Right, that is what I was trying to describe above and with the green lines on the previous picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
Have you called the BMW dealer for a suggestion. Surely they've had this come up more than once.
Not yet. The "backstory" is that this has been this way for a while. I am addressing it now because I am in mid install of an accessory brake light, using the JetSpeed mod of a Whelen TIR3 lighthead and the Skene IQ-260 Controller (I was sent I think a defective one, it looks traumatized out the pkg and seems to be non-operational). Since I had the bike apart, and frustrated by the lack of progress, I went to the bolt and fastener in question and posted the problem. I may wait on the surgical approach until Tuesday when they open again. I was planning on bringing it to them, but just hadn't yet. Right, though, agree with your comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbar View Post
Like Gordo said,can the female piece be pulled up with the complete panel if all other fasteners are off ? Whatís holding it in if itís spinning freely ? Maybe gently pried up all together?
I tried pulling it up with all the other bolts off...no go, and I was afraid I would break the tab. I don't know why it is not just slipping out of its seating, unless there is some circumferential ridge on the female fastener that will hold it IN while allowing it to slip, like a tongue in groove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgedelta View Post
If you take your Dremel and cut through the flange on the bolt head closer to the bolt body, you can perhaps save more of your flange. Just don't let the bolt head get hot enough to melt the plastic.
You mean like where I have drawn the yellow line? Thus saving a lot of the bolt to grab, to try to extract the whole she-bang, ie, the bolt and female seating? IOW, cut the bolt head so that now it is a half moon shape, no longer round...cut the tab to allow the tab to be slid away from under the bolt head...try to pull it out en masse as a bolt and nut?
Yeah, It could be where I am. The downside of that approach is sparks flying near the gas tank. I think I would get a wet towel and drape it over the tank and position the Dremel so that sparks will fly toward the rear and a well positioned fan, from the rear blowing fumes away from the sparks.
Attached Images

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-Feb-2019, 12:56 PM (789)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Any way to squirt some superglue around the edge of the fitting nut?

'05 1200 GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode