R1200 GS LC 2014 Rear Brake Bleed problems - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 15-Feb-2019, 11:02 AM (710) Thread Starter

R1200 GS LC 2014 Rear Brake Bleed problems

My 2014 GS rear brake pedal goes nearly all the way down with very little brake.

I decided to try and bleed the brakes. I added a stahlbus bleed nipple to make it easier. This is a one way valve so I should be able to pump the fluid out and not air going back in.

However releasing the bleed nipple and pumping the brake pedal Im not getting any fluid coming through. The reservoir is full of fluid.

I have also tried running the engine and holding the front brake whilst pumping the rear pedal but cannot get any real pressure on the rear pedal.

Do I need to bleed the front brakes first due to the brakes being linked? The front brakes are working as expected.

Is there anything Im doing wrong in my method?

Has anyone experienced these issues and found a solution?

Thanks for any help

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 15-Feb-2019, 11:35 AM (733)
GS (and DR)

Ignore the linkage between front and brakes. The foot pedal controls the rear brake only. You should be able to bleed the rear brake using only the foot pedal.

Have you removed the caliper from its mount and used a block (or the appropriate tool) to hold the pistons into the body of the caliper before doing the bleed? I'd pump the pedal with the bleed valve closed until I could feel the pressure build up. Only then would I crack the bleed valve until the pressure on the pedal starts to release. Once you feel the pressure start to release you know you are pushing brake fluid through the system.
Attached Images

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 15-Feb-2019, 01:07 PM (797) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
Ignore the linkage between front and brakes. The foot pedal controls the rear brake only. You should be able to bleed the rear brake using only the foot pedal.

Have you removed the caliper from its mount and used a block (or the appropriate tool) to hold the pistons into the body of the caliper before doing the bleed? I'd pump the pedal with the bleed valve closed until I could feel the pressure build up. Only then would I crack the bleed valve until the pressure on the pedal starts to release. Once you feel the pressure start to release you know you are pushing brake fluid through the system.
Thankyou for your response. I did push the caliper pistons back a bit to check that they were not seized but I didn't push them all the way back and block them as you suggested.

Someone else told me I need to bleed the fronts to get the fluid moving in the linked system but Im not sure if this is required.

Currently with the bleed nipple closed I started the engine held the front brake on and tried pumping the rear brake but cannot seem to get any pressure build up, maybe pushing the pistons back and blocking them as you suggested may help.

Thanks

Ian

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 16-Feb-2019, 07:18 AM (554) Thread Starter

I used a syringe to suck fluid out through the bleed nipple which helped get some pressure back at the brake pedal. I then used the new one way valve bleed nipple pumping the brake pedal to complete the bleed process whilst topping up the reservoir. The brake pedal now has good pressure and is operating the brake correctly. The one way valve allows you to open it slightly and by pumping the brake pedal you can push fluid and air bubbles out the bleed nipple, the advantage being in the one way operation as when releasing the brake pedal no air gets sucked back in as the valve closes.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions.

Ian
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 17-Feb-2019, 05:23 AM (474)

How did you change the oneway nipple from the stock one without letting the air in?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 21-Feb-2019, 07:05 AM (545)

Quickly? Actually, as long as you don't do anything to disturb the system (like moving the wheel or operating the pedal/lever) air won't get back into the caliper. And even if a little does, now you have a valved bleed nipple to take care of the problem.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 20-May-2019, 01:42 AM (279)
r1200GS MY2015

I am experiencing exactly the same symptoms after my dyi bleed - no brake pedal action on my 2015 LC.

a day after i re-bled the brakes to old-fashioned way open-pedal-close-refil etc and i got my brakes back! i will install the STAHLBUS valve anyways for the future jobs!

Last edited by keltis99; 20-May-2019 at 12:58 PM (749).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode