Engine trouble after fill up - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 30-Mar-2019, 04:21 AM (390) Thread Starter

Problem solved

Thanks for the notes!
I was in fact overfilling the tank. While trouble shooting this after reading the posts, I decided to not fill up, and leave it about ĺ. No issue.
Thanks for the advise. The canister was the problem all along when filling to the top; considering a Canirestomy or what ever itís called.
Rick92040 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 30-Mar-2019, 04:26 AM (393) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdini View Post
Are you over-filling? ...... flooded canister?
Hit the nail on the head. Thanks! It was really frustrating me.
Considering a canerestomy.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 30-Mar-2019, 12:12 PM (717)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
Canisterectomy

relatively easy procedure, you can find instructions if you do a search though it may be on a non-GS site, like for the roadster or RT.
happyintruder likes this.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 30-Mar-2019, 02:17 PM (803)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
ADV Rider has detailed instructions for doing the canisterectomy here.

After reading this, I went out and had a closer look at my '06. No canister. Checked manual, and apparently they were standard in all 50 states, so it would appear previous owner removed it. Interesting that the dealer had no trouble selling it to me with this supposedly mandatory emissions part missing... not that I am complaining...
Southpaw likes this.

Whizzy brakes, no FD drain plug, what's not to like?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-Apr-2019, 05:11 PM (924)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saughblade View Post
ADV Rider has detailed instructions for doing the canisterectomy here.

After reading this, I went out and had a closer look at my '06. No canister. Checked manual, and apparently they were standard in all 50 states, so it would appear previous owner removed it. Interesting that the dealer had no trouble selling it to me with this supposedly mandatory emissions part missing... not that I am complaining...
I think only California cares about the charcoal canister. Every bike I've ever had if they came to me with a charcoal canister they left me without one.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-Apr-2019, 09:41 AM (612)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobz View Post
Just an idea, does it only do it when the tank is full- really full. If you over fill a tank ( or normal filling and let it sit with a hot motor or on hot day ), the excess fuel goes into the vapor recovery canister and into your engine making it very rich for a while. Vapor recovery systems usually handle vapor, but now it handling liquid and it runs into the engine. This happen pretty regularly on my Harley. If I fill it to the top and then immediately stop for lunch. The gas expands from the heat of the engine and up into the vent tube and into the vapor canister. Then after lunch I would start the bike and it would stall in the middle of the intersection. If I don't over fill the tank and/or fill up after a long road break, it never happens. Just a suggestion.
Fuel coming out of the ground is probably at 60 some odd degrees or so...And will expand as it warms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode