TFT update - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 23-Mar-2019, 10:28 AM (644)
GS (and DR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick92040 View Post
They will only download it if you have a problem. If your not having a problem leave it alone.
I'd like to repeat this. Automotive systems are often hardened to ensure they keep working 20+ years down the line. Part of that hardening results in a limited number of write cycles. Examples from a scan of my '13:

XSAF: Program Count Maximum : 1024
XBCO: Program Count Maximum : 1024
XKOMBI50: Program Count Maximum : 1024
XABS: Program Count Maximum : 1000
BMSX: Program Count Maximum : 60

Notice that last line. That's the engine management controller. That is not a part you want to update often. If an update doesn't address a specific issue you are having leave it alone. When I'm having recall work done I tell the dealer "no updates unless required by BMW". I like the way by bike runs and see no reason to change unless it fixes an actual issue or adds some feature that I believe would be useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 23-Mar-2019, 01:37 PM (775)

Garage
Upon TFT screen power up you should see ABS Pro on the latest software update regardless of red plug in position either used or in the seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goethe View Post
hi Rick,
i do not have the plug plugged in.

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 24-Mar-2019, 07:39 AM (527) Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks all. Marc Im just not sure what I am giving up (am I missing ABS pro or not) without the update on this specific motorbike. I do trust Max BMW but will speak with BMW NA next week and let you know what I hear. Thanks flyjets.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-Mar-2019, 09:34 AM (607) Thread Starter

Garage
Received a useless reply from BMW customer service USA saying I should deal with my dealer. The problem with this is that they provided exactly zero information in the process. At the very least they could ask my VIN and let me know what version TFT. The other problem is I’ve already wasted a full day at a dealer trying to get this updated and been told firmly no update. Again this is a 1.5 year old BMW R1200GS that’s had no update. Very frustrating and really makes me question the brand.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-Mar-2019, 09:47 AM (616)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjets View Post
Upon TFT screen power up you should see ABS Pro on the latest software update regardless of red plug in position either used or in the seat.
Now im gettin all confused here....the red plug is for Enduro pro and not ABS Pro...........is what I know....arent you guys confusing both the things????
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-Mar-2019, 09:55 AM (622)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjets View Post
Now im gettin all confused here....the red plug is for Enduro pro and not ABS Pro...........is what I know....arent you guys confusing both the things????
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-Mar-2019, 11:50 AM (701)

Quote:
Received a useless reply from BMW customer service USA saying I should deal with my dealer. The problem with this is that they provided exactly zero information in the process. At the very least they could ask my VIN and let me know what version TFT. The other problem is Iíve already wasted a full day at a dealer trying to get this updated and been told firmly no update. Again this is a 1.5 year old BMW R1200GS thatís had no update. Very frustrating and really makes me question the brand.
If you tell them you have "bluetooth connectivity stability" issues then they will apply the update, otherwise they won't update it because they won't get paid by BMW for doing it. Apparently it's not something that is automatically covered under normal service and won't be updated unless there is an issue noted by the owner. As noted you don't want to just ask for an update just to get one as apparently the ECU gets flashed with each TFT update and that has a hard limit. The "ABS Pro" being displayed on TFT startup does nothing, it's just a quick view thing to let you know you're running a newer firmware version than one of the first for the TFT. If you don't connect your phone to the TFT or haven't had issues with it & the BMW connected app working for you and you aren't running ride modes pro then you won't gain anything from the TFT update. If you were running the ride modes pro plug then the TFT update would give you some fine tuning options for each of the pro riding modes for throttle response, DTC, ABS behavior...but again if you aren't having Bluetooth issues and not using the ride modes pro plug you aren't really in need of the update but if you want it then mention you've got the bluetooth connectivity issues and then they'll cover it under warranty.

Hope that helps.

2018 R1200 GS Rallye
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-Mar-2019, 01:00 PM (750) Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks. I’m not playing games with BMW or dealers. I made a specific appointment for TFT update with Max BMW who said it was a hefty update but that they would deal with the cost of updating TFT. They kept me there 4 hours and not til I was leaving said no update. BMW USA client service behavior is one notch above non responsive. I will be in pro mode later this year on Transtiaga. The run around and corporate talk atrophes the brand experience. I’m over it. The bikes great. Too bad about the company and it’s dealer.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-Mar-2019, 04:22 PM (890)

Garage
Quote:
Thanks. Iím not playing games with BMW or dealers. I made a specific appointment for TFT update with Max BMW who said it was a hefty update but that they would deal with the cost of updating TFT. They kept me there 4 hours and not til I was leaving said no update. BMW USA client service behavior is one notch above non responsive. I will be in pro mode later this year on Transtiaga. The run around and corporate talk atrophes the brand experience. Iím over it. The bikes great. Too bad about the company and itís dealer.
It took me 3 trips to get the Hill Start Control installed.

"It should have it." Make an appt, we'll check.

It doesn't.

Made an appointment.

"You don't have it."

No shit.

"We have to order it."

Order it.

"The right tech isn't in today."

Another appt.

"We haven't done this before, we need to get the authorized tech."

I got it installed the 3rd time. I don't mind riding the bike in, but come on man.

--
2017 R1200GS
1992 K75S
2013 G650GS
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 26-Mar-2019, 09:12 AM (592)

Garage
It appears to me that some of the service departments are not up to standards and some are just deceptive.

I have taken my k1600 to 4 different dealers for the same problem only 1 fixed it properly.

Caveat Emptor

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode