TFT update - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 27-Mar-2019, 06:35 AM (483)

Garage
Here is what software version is on mine.
Attached Images

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 27-Mar-2019, 08:00 PM (041)

TFT update

Thanks for addressing the TFT display.

My dealer had to update my TFT display about 3 weeks ago with <3000 miles on my 18 GS. Display would not let me use the wonder wheel to shift screens to the right consistently. It took them about 3 hours to get the new update installed. Just checked and my software version is 001-018-040, so it must not be the latest version you showed.

The update still didn't solve the problem, so they swapped out the wonder wheel last week. So far, so good, but I haven't used it much.

We'll see what happens. Fingers crossed
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 28-Mar-2019, 11:30 AM (687) Thread Starter

Garage
Confirmation from BMW corporate headquarters. If nothing technically wrong with your TFT the dealer will not be able to submit a warranty claim for the update.

There are 3 problems.

1. The TFT update should be free. A TFT update will occupy a bay in a workshop. So crowds out other bikes that might be repaired. There might be other incidental costs associated with updating a TFT. However absent these costs a TFT update should be costless to a dealer. In my case I wandered around the dealer while waiting 4 hours. So am a farkle prospect. Thus by virtue of bringing customers into the dealership the dealer probably breaks even versus the incidental cost of the TFT update. BMW should NOT be charging dealers for the update. That’s a rip off of customers who would naturally expect software updates for free. Thus to gain an update one needs to lie to the dealer. That’s not a business model I think BMW should endorse but it is with this situation.

2. I’m just not up to game playing. The corporate BMW folks have zero info on this subject. I spoke with two independent customer “service” reps. Neither enquired the details of the situation. They regurgitated some line from a script.

3. In my case, MAX BMW accepted my appointment and said they would handle the warranty costs. I then drove 2 hours there, waited 4 hours, then was told no update and drove 2 hours back. (I had a headlight guard installed while there too.)

All round a very unimpressive event.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-Apr-2019, 10:31 AM (646)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goethe View Post
Thanks all. Marc Im just not sure what I am giving up (am I missing ABS pro or not) without the update on this specific motorbike. I do trust Max BMW but will speak with BMW NA next week and let you know what I hear. Thanks flyjets.
"ABS Pro" is BMWs name of cornering ABS, and this system should be on your bike as it is quite new. The plug under the seat , you mention is for enabling "Enduro pro" mode which basically switches off you ABS and gives you the full power to the back wheel. Some people that do extreme off-roading want this feature. I will probably never try it. After software update , "ABS Pro" text should be visible on your screen.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old Today, 05:12 AM (425)

My 18 Rallye is at the dealer now for its 600 mile first service, while it was there I had a ton of loose spokes so its waiting on new wheels.... anyhow, I asked about a TFT update as its not normally looked at in the service check list and they said they wouldn't update it unless there is a service campaign put out by BMW. I called with the latest software version and asked if they could see what needs to be done for me to get it. No word back yet, but Im having little faith that it will get done.

I get the feeling the dealer has never updated a single TFT there, which may be fine. but there are certain functionalities I want as well as the bluetooth issue fixes.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old Today, 08:37 AM (567)
Super Awesom Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelast13 View Post
My 18 Rallye is at the dealer now for its 600 mile first service, while it was there I had a ton of loose spokes so its waiting on new wheels.... anyhow, I asked about a TFT update as its not normally looked at in the service check list and they said they wouldn't update it unless there is a service campaign put out by BMW. I called with the latest software version and asked if they could see what needs to be done for me to get it. No word back yet, but Im having little faith that it will get done.

I get the feeling the dealer has never updated a single TFT there, which may be fine. but there are certain functionalities I want as well as the bluetooth issue fixes.
You don't ask them to update the firmware, you ask them to fix the Bluetooth issues.

Rick
2018 R1200GS
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old Today, 08:49 AM (576) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick92040 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelast13 View Post

You don't ask them to update the firmware, you ask them to fix the Bluetooth issues.
100% correct. There’s a code you’ve got to speak to get it done. Utter nonsense for BMW to set it up in this fashion that has customers shading the truth with their dealers. BMW can join the modern age with this TFT and get more customer data by engineering a way dealers can update bikes in a low cost fashion. It’s as if you had to go into an Apple store and wink wink to get an iOS update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode