engine shuts down - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By wegger
  • 1 Post By saughblade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 25-Mar-2019, 02:34 AM (315) Thread Starter

engine shuts down

I have a problem with my 2007 1200GS: the engine shuts down randomly. This often happens when I accelerate and close the throttle to shift to higher gear. The problem also occurs when closing the throttle while riding down a hill. It usually occurs at the beginning of a ride, even if I rode before (so the engine is not cold), usually in the first mile or two. If you keep the rpm low - less than 3,000 rpm, even if you go into high gear, the fault appears less. I took it to my mechanics and they replaced the spark plugs, secondary coils and the Throttle Position Sensor, it was good for few hours (and the engine was running smoother...) and then the problem appeared again the day after. I returned to them and they replaced the primary coils, but the problem is still there, even though it seems that it occurs less then before.*
Any suggestions?*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 25-Mar-2019, 06:35 AM (482)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahendler View Post
I have a problem with my 2007 1200GS: the engine shuts down randomly. This often happens when I accelerate and close the throttle to shift to higher gear. The problem also occurs when closing the throttle while riding down a hill. It usually occurs at the beginning of a ride, even if I rode before (so the engine is not cold), usually in the first mile or two. If you keep the rpm low - less than 3,000 rpm, even if you go into high gear, the fault appears less. I took it to my mechanics and they replaced the spark plugs, secondary coils and the Throttle Position Sensor, it was good for few hours (and the engine was running smoother...) and then the problem appeared again the day after. I returned to them and they replaced the primary coils, but the problem is still there, even though it seems that it occurs less then before.*
Any suggestions?*
I had a '08 R1200RT that did the same thing. Some say it's the fuel pump controller and some people do a bypass or a new one. It gets moisture in it and causes an erratic shutdown. Sometimes the side stand switch is rumored to be the culprit.

https://www.hexcode.co.za/techinfo/e...ump-controller

https://burnsmoto.com/products/bmw-m...p-bypass-cable

--
2017 R1200GS
1992 K75S
2013 G650GS
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 25-Mar-2019, 02:32 PM (814) Thread Starter

[quote=jaxon;287063]I had a '08 R1200RT that did the same thing. Some say it's the fuel pump controller and some people do a bypass or a new one. It gets moisture in it and causes an erratic shutdown. Sometimes the side stand switch is rumored to be the culprit.

Thanks Jaxon, how was the problem on your bike solved?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-Apr-2019, 02:27 PM (811)

Quote:
I have a problem with my 2007 1200GS: the engine shuts down randomly. This often happens when I accelerate and close the throttle to shift to higher gear. The problem also occurs when closing the throttle while riding down a hill. It usually occurs at the beginning of a ride, even if I rode before (so the engine is not cold), usually in the first mile or two. If you keep the rpm low - less than 3,000 rpm, even if you go into high gear, the fault appears less. ... clipped...
Any suggestions?*
I was having a very similar problem. 2008 1200 with appx 98k miles. It first happened once on a day ride, accelerating through 2nd gear, maybe 5k rpm, and it just shut down, then almost immediately started back up. I thought the throttle might have slipped my grip. It did it again just a few miles later and this time I had time to notice that the dash and instruments went off and came back on like it just rebooted. Does this sound familiar? Over the next month it started happening more frequently. I went through all the dash, ecu, and fuel pump connections, cleaned and put dielectric grease on them. Found no problems. Jiggling the ignition key switch had no effect. I thought it might be the key or the key chip sensor. I finally took off the ignition switch cover below the top triple clamp, checked the wires, then removed the switch module and jiggled it around, and it caused the ignition to come on/off intermittently. Boom! The plastic ignition switch module had just worn out. Found a used one on Beemer Boneyard for $60. Cheap fix, and it solved all the problems.

Hope this helps.
Niks likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 20-Apr-2019, 12:20 AM (222) Thread Starter

Thank you all for replying. Well, it's probably non of those (my instruments don't go off). I found that it happens when I press the clutch lever. Actually, I can make the problem appear (engine shuts off) while standing, open and close the throttle and pressing the clutch lever when I close the throttle. Does anybody had a similar problem? Do you think it's the clutch lever that should be replaced or something else? Thanks.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 20-Apr-2019, 04:42 AM (404)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
Quote:
Thank you all for replying. Well, it's probably non of those (my instruments don't go off). I found that it happens when I press the clutch lever. Actually, I can make the problem appear (engine shuts off) while standing, open and close the throttle and pressing the clutch lever when I close the throttle. Does anybody had a similar problem? Do you think it's the clutch lever that should be replaced or something else? Thanks.
There is a micro-switch on the clutch lever whose purpose is to prevent you from starting the bike in gear with the clutch engaged. It's held in place by a 4mm allen-head screw that can come loose. I don't immediately see how this switch could cause the engine to shut down, because in theory it's only used when starting the bike. However, since all this safety-interlock stuff (gear position, kickstand position, clutch) is interpreted by software, it's possible that you've got some combination of flakey and/or loose parts (the kickstand switch is famously vulnerable) so that when you pull in the clutch it thinks it's in a forbidden position (in gear, clutch engaged, stand down) and shuts off. Check that the set screw (underneath the lever) is tight, and with the engine off, in a quiet environment, you should hear the switch click about halfway through the lever's stroke. If that doesn't happen, loosen the screw and adjust the switch's position until it does. Don't know if this will help, but it's worth a try.
Southpaw likes this.

Whizzy brakes, no FD drain plug, what's not to like?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 29-Apr-2019, 12:43 AM (238) Thread Starter

Thanks, I tried that - the microswitch was active not at the half way, I could hear it by touching the lever slightly. I adjusted it, but the problem was still there. Since the side stand was a bit loose, I took it to be fixed, and to set the sensor tight to it's place (it was loose). Again, the problem is still there. The amazing thing is that it happens only at the beginning of the ride. For example, few days ago it happened once a few miles after I started riding, in 6 gear while I closed the throttle down a hill, I started it again (without turning the key off), and then I rode for about 150 miles straight with no problem at all! Yesterday I tried again to create the problem while standing, it happened once after I reached 5000 RPM. It didn't happen on low revs. Any ideas? can it be a defective side stand sensor?
Thanks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-Jun-2019, 03:37 AM (359) Thread Starter

Hello, the problem didnít solve yet, but today we finally got a fault on the computer:

37644: vehicle speed dial stepper-motor malfunction

Does anybody know what this fault relate to?
Thanks
Asi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
engine shuts down

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode