Looking at a used GS. Need advice. - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-Apr-2019, 07:35 AM (524)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I bought an "05 under similar conditions 3 years ago. Dead battery. Stored in a garage 3 years with a tank of gas . In Florida, gas turns to crap from heat. I took the chance plus I knew the seller well enough and bought the non runner.

Step #1 - Ran the VIN through the BMW service recall database. Bike had not yet had the fuel pump recall performed yet. Good news for me since dealer would honor the recall "free".

Step #2 - Pulled tank and dumped putrid fuel. Reinstalled tank.

Step #3 - Installed a new battery , switched on, but did not crank the motor since did not want to run any putrid fuel through EFI.

Step#4 - got an appointment with local BMW service center and trailered bike down to them. Did not tell them about condition of bike.

Step #5 - Picked up bike next day and was delighted when they told me bike was running great and they performed 3 recall services including new pump, controller and even did the rear hub recall.

Bike had 24 k miles on odometer. Has run perfectly ever since. I do the rest of the maintenance myself. The original owner was a perfectionist on maintenance and accessories. Still can't believe how little I paid for the bike and how well it has served me. Only issue of any significance I incurred was a brake servo malfunction. BMW wanted $3000 for new unit. On my own I bled the system and the problem was air bubbles in the rear lines. Just the price of fluid was the cost of the repair. Be careful of dealers. They are profit based. If it were me I would take the dive.
Its true dealer are in business to make money. If the servo unit does go tits up they can be rebuilt for significantly less than BMW charges for a new unit or you can do a bypass and do away with it and the ABS all together.

Sounds like you got a nice bike. Good on you, enjoy!
Southpaw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-Apr-2019, 07:34 PM (024)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
>> If the servo unit does go tits up they can be rebuilt for significantly less than BMW charges <<
if that is a model ModuleMasters works on. I would give them a call to be sure.
also, does this bike have a float or the dreaded fuel strip?
and was the 05 GS out of the woods for clutch splines??
Crawgator likes this.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-Apr-2019, 09:47 PM (116) Thread Starter

Update!

Battery came in today. I pulled fuel pump. Dry as a bone and you can tell it has been for a bit. Flushed tank with fresh gas and reinstalled fuel pump after soaking it in clean gas. Installed batter and plugged in GS911 and pulled a report. Low voltage fault. Cleared codes, turned on key again. Can't hear the fuel pump running. Tried to crank, throws an error. Pulled code and getting Fuel pump fuse trigger. Reset and try a few times. Same result. I think the fuel pump motor is locked up ( went thru this with a F650GS before in similar condition. Lack of treatment and sitting up locked the motor. Replace and cranked right up!). Soooo I plan to let it soak overnight the try again. There is a fuel pump recall on the bike. Not sure if they will replace whole pump or not. From what I have read they check for cracks and add the reinforcement band sometime, replace if the cracks are too bad other times. Decisions, decisions! Oh, the bike only has 10,100 miles. Order a motor from beemer boneyard and hope controller is good? Ebay a used motor? Call dealer and hope for best? Order new and install myself? Anyone have a complete fuel pump laying around you don't need? Oh, the servos have their "normal" whine so maybe they are good to go! I plan to flush them soon as my stuff comes in next week.
Southpaw likes this.

08 Goldwing 1800
12 Ural Patrol

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-Apr-2019, 09:52 AM (619)

Servo brakes are problematic even when working properly. They will grab and lock up on you at the worst possible time IMO.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-Apr-2019, 10:24 AM (642) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
>> If the servo unit does go tits up they can be rebuilt for significantly less than BMW charges <<

if that is a model ModuleMasters works on. I would give them a call to be sure.

also, does this bike have a float or the dreaded fuel strip?

and was the 05 GS out of the woods for clutch splines??

It has a float. Not sure about clutch splines but I am going to grease both driveshaft splines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

08 Goldwing 1800
12 Ural Patrol
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-Apr-2019, 01:48 PM (783)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbus View Post
Servo brakes are problematic even when working properly. They will grab and lock up on you at the worst possible time IMO.
Never heard of that happening. Never on my '05.
Jonnybow likes this.

'05 1200 GS
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-Apr-2019, 01:50 PM (785)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawgator View Post
Battery came in today. I pulled fuel pump. Dry as a bone and you can tell it has been for a bit. Flushed tank with fresh gas and reinstalled fuel pump after soaking it in clean gas. Installed batter and plugged in GS911 and pulled a report. Low voltage fault. Cleared codes, turned on key again. Can't hear the fuel pump running. Tried to crank, throws an error. Pulled code and getting Fuel pump fuse trigger. Reset and try a few times. Same result. I think the fuel pump motor is locked up ( went thru this with a F650GS before in similar condition. Lack of treatment and sitting up locked the motor. Replace and cranked right up!). Soooo I plan to let it soak overnight the try again. There is a fuel pump recall on the bike. Not sure if they will replace whole pump or not. From what I have read they check for cracks and add the reinforcement band sometime, replace if the cracks are too bad other times. Decisions, decisions! Oh, the bike only has 10,100 miles. Order a motor from beemer boneyard and hope controller is good? Ebay a used motor? Call dealer and hope for best? Order new and install myself? Anyone have a complete fuel pump laying around you don't need? Oh, the servos have their "normal" whine so maybe they are good to go! I plan to flush them soon as my stuff comes in next week.
When my fuel pump recall was addressed at dealer in 2016 on my 2005, they installed a brand new unit. Don't they get full $$$$ from BMW on recall fixes?
Crawgator likes this.

'05 1200 GS
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-Apr-2019, 05:30 PM (937) Thread Starter

I have heard of some getting an entire new assembly. From what my dealer tells me the majority are not cracked severe enough to warrant replacement. They get the metal collar around the fuel flange. It seems it is somewhat up to the dealer but the requirements seem to be as I stated. Logic as I see it, why would a manf give you a new pumpe for cracks in the input flange if it didn't work in the first place? It appears they have to send photos back of repairs and BMW has requested the entire pump be sent back. If I get this pump working I may see what they say. That is a 5 hour total travel time for me plus time at shop. Kinda sucks to do all that for them to say nope not going to replace since its dea

Quote:
When my fuel pump recall was addressed at dealer in 2016 on my 2005, they installed a brand new unit. Don't they get full $$$$ from BMW on recall fixes?

08 Goldwing 1800
12 Ural Patrol

Last edited by Crawgator; 07-Apr-2019 at 05:36 PM (941).
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-Apr-2019, 05:34 PM (940) Thread Starter

Update on motor. It's been soaking in 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and ATF fluid for almost 2 days. Ive rapped it a few times with rubber mallet and tried bumping it forward and reverse. Nothing. I just dropped it in my ultrasonic cleaner. Lets see how that does!
Attached Images

Southpaw likes this.

08 Goldwing 1800
12 Ural Patrol
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-Apr-2019, 05:49 AM (451)

Quote:
Never heard of that happening. Never on my '05.
Yea same here my 04 is fine. Has anyone had this issue first hand? I hear about guy who knows a guy who etc... I just never hear it from the "guy"
Southpaw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode