Looking at a used GS. Need advice. - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-Apr-2019, 10:09 AM (631)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
If you do conclude the fuel pump's shot, you might find this listing at Beemer Boneyard to be useful. Whole lot cheaper than a new pump assembly from BMW...
Southpaw and Crawgator like this.

Whizzy brakes, no FD drain plug, what's not to like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-Apr-2019, 04:28 PM (895) Thread Starter

Thanks! I have items coming from them to do all the fluid changes and a few of their tools as well. I saw that motor. I also saw this one. https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-35462...147680379.html It comes with motor, tube and pre filter. This is the one David Petersen of Bestrest products used in his video on refreshing a BMW fuel pump assembly. Anyone else use a Quantum motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saughblade View Post
If you do conclude the fuel pump's shot, you might find this listing at Beemer Boneyard to be useful. Whole lot cheaper than a new pump assembly from BMW...

08 Goldwing 1800
12 Ural Patrol

Last edited by Crawgator; 08-Apr-2019 at 05:39 PM (944).
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 14-Apr-2019, 08:15 PM (052) Thread Starter

Getting fuel but still no crank.

New fuel pump motor installed. Injectors cleaned, tank cleaned and lines flushed. Fuel pump code cleared us GS 911 tool. Bike is on center stand and side stand is up. Still won't crank. I verified I am getting gas at injectors on both side. I pulled each injector and laid it on a piece of cardboard. I'm getting a good spray from what I can tell on both sides. It is acting like there is no spark. I plugged GS 911 in again and no codes for anything.
I have new plugs but.... None of my 16mm or 5/8 spark plugs will fit in the hole! So now I have to find a thin walled 16mm socket. Anything else I can check till I get the 16mm socket?

08 Goldwing 1800
12 Ural Patrol

post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 14-Apr-2019, 08:38 PM (068)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
ignition coils... about $100 each new. I've seen reports of some using ignition coils from a Ford, but I can't remember where I saw that, maybe advrider??? Maybe used ones from Beemer Boneyard?
Maybe I missed it, but did you buy this bike or just working on it to see if it runs. Your friend owes you quite a bit for the work you're doing.

you can get a thin walled socket on amazon

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; 14-Apr-2019 at 08:40 PM (069).
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 14-Apr-2019, 09:05 PM (087) Thread Starter

Thanks. I'd want to test the coils first before ordering. Just need to figure out how. There are 4 on the GS from that I can tell. 2 straight and 2 angled. I can't see how all 4 would fail at once! Can you just pull coil and put a plug in and crank to see if you get spark at the plug grounded against cylinder?
I bought this bike with understanding of problems. Coils from BMW are around $175-$190 each. I found them at Bob's BMW for $120 each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
ignition coils... about $100 each new. I've seen reports of some using ignition coils from a Ford, but I can't remember where I saw that, maybe advrider??? Maybe used ones from Beemer Boneyard?
Maybe I missed it, but did you buy this bike or just working on it to see if it runs. Your friend owes you quite a bit for the work you're doing.

you can get a thin walled socket on amazon

08 Goldwing 1800
12 Ural Patrol

Last edited by Crawgator; 14-Apr-2019 at 09:23 PM (099).
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 04:26 AM (393)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawgator View Post
Thanks. I'd want to test the coils first before ordering. Just need to figure out how. There are 4 on the GS from that I can tell. 2 straight and 2 angled. I can't see how all 4 would fail at once! Can you just pull coil and put a plug in and crank to see if you get spark at the plug grounded against cylinder?
4 bad coils? Hit by lightning I had saved this video for testing my Triumph coils. Might help. Good luck with it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=test...TF-8#kpvalbx=1
Crawgator likes this.
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 04:31 AM (397)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawgator View Post
Still won't crank.
Just to clarify. In my garage won't "crank" it means you turn the key and nothing happens. Won't "fire" means it cranks but no ignition. Are you no crank or no fire?
Southpaw likes this.
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 07:14 AM (509)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
what do the ignition coil "wires" connect to on the non spark plug end? If that is bad...is it the whole wiring harness? Speaking from ignorance here, but if nothing is getting to the ignition coils the problem could be more central, and the more central you go, the more $$$ I would think?
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 07:32 AM (522) Thread Starter

Gotcha. So it wonít fire. It cranks but no fire. Key in, push starter button, starter works, bike turns over normally, injectors squirt fuel, but it appears no spark at plugs. It did catch a few times like there was a spark but just briefly. I have not tested coils yet. I donít see how all of the coils could go bad at nice on a bike with only 10k miles that was running when stored but I guess anything is possible. The GS911 show no issues or codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
Just to clarify. In my garage won't "crank" it means you turn the key and nothing happens. Won't "fire" means it cranks but no ignition. Are you no crank or no fire?

08 Goldwing 1800
12 Ural Patrol

Last edited by Crawgator; 15-Apr-2019 at 07:44 AM (530).
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 09:30 AM (604) Thread Starter

I pulled top right coil and put a new spark plug in. Grounded against cylinder. Itís getting good spark. Iíll try the rest this afternoon. If those are good could it be the fuel pump controller? Is there a test to see if controller is good? Iím going to order the Burnsmoto bypass and a spark plug socket that fits as soon as I find one.

08 Goldwing 1800
12 Ural Patrol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode