Looking at a used GS. Need advice. - Page 4 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 34Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 10:58 AM (665)
'05 R 1200 Gs
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: South Florida USA
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawgator View Post
I pulled top right coil and put a new spark plug in. Grounded against cylinder. It’s getting good spark. I’ll try the rest this afternoon. If those are good could it be the fuel pump controller? Is there a test to see if controller is good? I’m going to order the Burnsmoto bypass and a spark plug socket that fits as soon as I find one.
Amazon (yuck).
$3.99
https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-884504-...J2KBJM6RCBFGZK
Crawgator likes this.

'05 1200 GS
Southpaw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 03:26 PM (851) Thread Starter
Member
 
Crawgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 32
Thumbs up It lives!!!

I found a socket that would fit the plugs. Replaced all 4. I checked all 4 coils and good spark at each one. Hooked GS911 in and no faults. Hit the starter and after 8 or so cycles nothing. I could tell it was trying. Turned key off. Set a minute and turned on and hit the starter and after 3 cycles it started! Woot!
Attached Images
 
Southpaw likes this.

08 Goldwing 1800
12 Ural Patrol
Crawgator is offline  
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 06:20 PM (972)
Junior Member
 
GSA-Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 6
Looking at a used GS. Need advice.

Id probably check the valve adjustment and throttle body sync.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crawgator likes this.
GSA-Dawg is offline  
 
post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 06:41 PM (987)
Senior Member
 
Dr. Strangelove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
Posts: 749
Progress!
The lower plugs always look oilier, and that it was sitting so long, probably more so. Looks like the dual electrodes are worn down?

What did the exhaust look like?

Have you changed all the fluids yet, including FD?

Re brakes...on my 04 roadster, at low speed they were a little "grabby," (iirc) but not anything problematic

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; 15-Apr-2019 at 06:45 PM (990).
Dr. Strangelove is offline  
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 08:58 PM (082) Thread Starter
Member
 
Crawgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 32
All fluids changed. I changed FD tonight. Fluid looked like new. Splines were bone dry though. Evidence of some white grease paste on rubber boot but not much grease residue on splines. I used Loctite 8012 moly paste. I've used that on my Ural hack rig and it has worked well so far. Electrodes were not worn down at all just oily and black as tar. Exhaust looks fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Progress!
The lower plugs always look oilier, and that it was sitting so long, probably more so. Looks like the dual electrodes are worn down?

What did the exhaust look like?

Have you changed all the fluids yet, including FD?

Re brakes...on my 04 roadster, at low speed they were a little "grabby," (iirc) but not anything problematic
Attached Images
   
Southpaw and dcysurfer like this.

08 Goldwing 1800
12 Ural Patrol
Crawgator is offline  
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2019, 12:19 AM (222)
OKU
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Irvine, Ca
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawgator View Post
I have a friend with a GS he wants to sell. It's an 05 GS with ABS and plenty of accessories. Issue is it has not been cranked in over a year and the gas is at least that old maybe a bit older. Battery is dead. He does not remember if he used additive in the gas. I bought a F650GS from him in past in similar case and it needed a fuel pump since it was rusted/locked up. Other than that it was a great bike. This GS has been stored inside. So what are the potential problems? I assume fuel pump may have issues. What else? What do I need to check? Build date for the R1200GS was 5/05. He believes its less than 20k miles.

I'm thinking drain the gas and add fresh with techron and stabil additive. Add new battery and crank and ride to warm up fluids then change all. Do a brake flush and check rear splines while changing the FD oil.

Thought, suggestions on the best way to bring it back to life?



Thanks!
I went from 2000 K1200LT with i loved.....was talked into getting GS from my buddies.....i found a 2005 that was in pristine condition.....everything was good on that bike except I found out on a long ride in the mountains that my ABS had failed.....I had failed to let the bike go thru the start-up sequence and started it right after turning the ignition on.....immediately got flashing ABS lights.....I was leaving Rancho Margarita campground and going to Salt Lake.......of course I had to go down the back side of the mountains to get to I-5 with very little braking action....I attempted to use the procedure to correct the ABS and it worked until I got 225 miles from Salt Lake......now it was raining like cats and dogs and hardly any braking action.....did the process before coming home and it finally worked.....got home and found out battery was bad.......sorry for the story, but i immediately traded for 2016 R1200gsLC......I found that the GS was lighter than the LT and it was 16 years newer in technology........not to mention all the work that you may have to do for seals, gas filter valve adjust and all the other things associated with getting your friends bike ready to ride,.......i would not buy it.....get a newer GS or a new one....just my 2-cents......

just for laughs, if your ABS module goes out on that bike, provided you have ABS on it, will be around $2500 plus to replace......good luck.....
happyintruder is offline  
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2019, 08:25 AM (559)
Senile Member on 2006 GS
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Ill-Annoy, USA
Posts: 263
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyintruder View Post
I went from 2000 K1200LT with i loved.....was talked into getting GS from my buddies.....i found a 2005 that was in pristine condition.....everything was good on that bike except I found out on a long ride in the mountains that my ABS had failed.....I had failed to let the bike go thru the start-up sequence and started it right after turning the ignition on.....immediately got flashing ABS lights.....I was leaving Rancho Margarita campground and going to Salt Lake.......of course I had to go down the back side of the mountains to get to I-5 with very little braking action....I attempted to use the procedure to correct the ABS and it worked until I got 225 miles from Salt Lake......now it was raining like cats and dogs and hardly any braking action.....did the process before coming home and it finally worked.....got home and found out battery was bad.......sorry for the story, but i immediately traded for 2016 R1200gsLC......I found that the GS was lighter than the LT and it was 16 years newer in technology........not to mention all the work that you may have to do for seals, gas filter valve adjust and all the other things associated with getting your friends bike ready to ride,.......i would not buy it.....get a newer GS or a new one....just my 2-cents......

just for laughs, if your ABS module goes out on that bike, provided you have ABS on it, will be around $2500 plus to replace......good luck.....
Yes, a bad battery will make the servo system act up... But that can happen to any year bike, and on a lot of systems in addition to brakes. It's the price we pay for all these sophisticated electronics. Hardly a reason to single out the servo brakes as a something to avoid. Anyway, there are plenty of discussions on this board about non-servo ABS pumps failing, which is hardly a cheap thing either (MAX BMW wants $1950 for an LC ABS unit).

My personal experience with the servo brakes on my 2006: bought the bike three years ago, hit 50K miles on the way home from the dealer. Changed the fluid mostly so I had a baseline for scheduling maintenance of my own. No mention of brake repairs (just a fluid change) in the service record. Just turned 70K, no problems whatsoever. Just changed the fluid week before last. Not a difficult job at all.

I rather like the servo brakes, particularly the front-rear linkage feature, as my right foot turns out a bit and this makes it hard to reach the rear brake pedal.

Whizzy brakes, no FD drain plug, what's not to like?
saughblade is offline  
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2019, 08:39 AM (569)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 128
Yea, there's yer problem!! You had your upper and lower plugs reversed! haaaah... So they don't look like they'd have any issues firing it up. Is it starting consistently now?
Crawgator and happyintruder like this.

Last edited by Also Ran; 16-Apr-2019 at 08:42 AM (570).
Also Ran is offline  
post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2019, 08:58 AM (582) Thread Starter
Member
 
Crawgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyintruder View Post
I found that the GS was lighter than the LT and it was 16 years newer in technology........not to mention all the work that you may have to do for seals, gas filter valve adjust and all the other things associated with getting your friends bike ready to ride,.......i would not buy it.....get a newer GS or a new one....just my 2-cents......

just for laughs, if your ABS module goes out on that bike, provided you have ABS on it, will be around $2500 plus to replace......good luck.....
Glad you found a ride you like! FYI, if you ever need ABS module repairs you can have that done at Module Masters now for around $350. They take your old unit and rebuild like new for a fraction of the cost of new!
Southpaw and happyintruder like this.

08 Goldwing 1800
12 Ural Patrol
Crawgator is offline  
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2019, 09:01 AM (584) Thread Starter
Member
 
Crawgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
Yea, there's yer problem!! You had your upper and lower plugs reversed! haaaah... So they don't look like they'd have any issues firing it up. Is it starting consistently now?
HAHA! So far so good. It is still a bit hesitant to start. I have started it 4 times now and the best way seems to be to turn key on, wait for everything to cycle thru and hit the starter and hold for 2-3 seconds and release. Then turn key off and back on and repeat and it fires right up after that. It has a bit of a rough idle for about 3 seconds then smooths out. I plan to try and flush the brakes today then I'll take it for a short ride and give it a chance to heat up easy.

08 Goldwing 1800
12 Ural Patrol
Crawgator is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need used GS advice Rtm58 General chatter 4 14-Nov-2016 05:27 PM (977)
Looking at buying used 2014 GSA Harley General chatter 7 18-Oct-2015 06:03 PM (960)
Need advice about buying used. bearman1964 General chatter 5 06-Oct-2014 10:31 AM (647)
New or used gs, advice. Crashbar General chatter 9 29-May-2013 02:29 AM (312)

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome