Looking at a used GS. Need advice. - Page 5 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 34Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2019, 09:23 AM (599)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawgator View Post
It is still a bit hesitant to start. I have started it 4 times now and the best way seems to be to turn key on, wait for everything to cycle thru and hit the starter and hold for 2-3 seconds and release. Then turn key off and back on and repeat and it fires right up after that. It has a bit of a rough idle for about 3 seconds then smooths out.
Sat with old gas for an extended period of time? How long does the pump cycle? Perhaps a ride will to trip any codes that might lead to your gremlin.
Also Ran is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2019, 10:01 AM (625) Thread Starter
Member
 
Crawgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
Sat with old gas for an extended period of time? How long does the pump cycle? Perhaps a ride will to trip any codes that might lead to your gremlin.
Sat for over a year. I think it just needs to be run a bit. I have flushed and cleaned the entire system. Itís hard to hear the pump but I would say it cycles for a few seconds after key is turned on.

08 Goldwing 1800
12 Ural Patrol
Crawgator is offline  
post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2019, 11:03 AM (668)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawgator View Post
Sat for over a year. I think it just needs to be run a bit. I have flushed and cleaned the entire system. Itís hard to hear the pump but I would say it cycles for a few seconds after key is turned on.
Strong possibility a run will blow any crud out of it. Could have been some stale gas residue lurking. The pump on my 04 is 1-2 seconds and easily audible. Let us know how it goes.
Crawgator likes this.
Also Ran is offline  
 
post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2019, 01:21 PM (764)
'05 R 1200 Gs
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: South Florida USA
Posts: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyintruder View Post
I went from 2000 K1200LT with i loved.....was talked into getting GS from my buddies.....i found a 2005 that was in pristine condition.....everything was good on that bike except I found out on a long ride in the mountains that my ABS had failed.....I had failed to let the bike go thru the start-up sequence and started it right after turning the ignition on.....immediately got flashing ABS lights.....I was leaving Rancho Margarita campground and going to Salt Lake.......of course I had to go down the back side of the mountains to get to I-5 with very little braking action....I attempted to use the procedure to correct the ABS and it worked until I got 225 miles from Salt Lake......now it was raining like cats and dogs and hardly any braking action.....did the process before coming home and it finally worked.....got home and found out battery was bad.......sorry for the story, but i immediately traded for 2016 R1200gsLC......I found that the GS was lighter than the LT and it was 16 years newer in technology........not to mention all the work that you may have to do for seals, gas filter valve adjust and all the other things associated with getting your friends bike ready to ride,.......i would not buy it.....get a newer GS or a new one....just my 2-cents......

just for laughs, if your ABS module goes out on that bike, provided you have ABS on it, will be around $2500 plus to replace......good luck.....
If anyone has an ABS Servo brake bike they have given up on, I will pay $500 cash for the bike you are giving up on.

'05 1200 GS
Southpaw is offline  
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2019, 03:35 PM (857)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawgator View Post
Sat for over a year. I think it just needs to be run a bit. I have flushed and cleaned the entire system. Itís hard to hear the pump but I would say it cycles for a few seconds after key is turned on.
I had an ask around and here's what I got. Just sharing what was given...

"In the past (and this is automotive related) if you have to cycle the key to start, it could be due to no residual pressure in the system. You can overcome that by cycling the key. If there was a plugged filter or pickup, you might end up having to cycle the (key) pump to suck enough fuel past the restriction. Not all that likely if it smooths out and runs ok under load."

"Is there a relay for the pump that you can swap with another? Just need to make sure if its a 5 pin you swap it with a 5 pin... or whatever the case may be. If the connections inside the relay are festered, they can do funny things."

"Maybe bad contact on the pump circuit?"

That's all I got.
Also Ran is offline  
post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2019, 04:50 PM (909) Thread Starter
Member
 
Crawgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 32
Thanks! I'll have to do a bit of investigating. I only replace the fuel pump motor but I got a lot of flow thru it when I purged the gas lines. I pulled the injectors from the lines and put a mason jar under each line and hit the starter button. With about 5 cycles I got about 1.5" of fuel in each jar. Seems the pump is working fine. Could be a relay but I have no idea where!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
I had an ask around and here's what I got. Just sharing what was given...

"In the past (and this is automotive related) if you have to cycle the key to start, it could be due to no residual pressure in the system. You can overcome that by cycling the key. If there was a plugged filter or pickup, you might end up having to cycle the (key) pump to suck enough fuel past the restriction. Not all that likely if it smooths out and runs ok under load."

"Is there a relay for the pump that you can swap with another? Just need to make sure if its a 5 pin you swap it with a 5 pin... or whatever the case may be. If the connections inside the relay are festered, they can do funny things."

"Maybe bad contact on the pump circuit?"

That's all I got.

08 Goldwing 1800
12 Ural Patrol
Crawgator is offline  
post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2019, 06:57 PM (998) Thread Starter
Member
 
Crawgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 32
Took her for a few laps around the neighborhood. Runs good and strong everything works except rear brake is soft. Next on agenda is a full brake bleed.
Southpaw and Also Ran like this.

08 Goldwing 1800
12 Ural Patrol
Crawgator is offline  
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 17-Apr-2019, 07:54 AM (537)
Senile Member on 2006 GS
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Ill-Annoy, USA
Posts: 263
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawgator View Post
Took her for a few laps around the neighborhood. Runs good and strong everything works except rear brake is soft. Next on agenda is a full brake bleed.
If the rear brake is spongy, you'll probably find air in the control circuit.

When I flushed mine a couple weeks ago, I found there was some air in the rear control circuit as well. I wonder if this has something to do with the linked system--in particular, I tend to not use the rear brake pedal very often (just squeeze the front lever and let the linked system apply the rear; yeah, I'm lazy), and I wonder if the lack of regular exercise allows the rear control circuit to admit air in some way. Seals dry out, maybe?

Whizzy brakes, no FD drain plug, what's not to like?
saughblade is offline  
post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 17-Apr-2019, 11:16 AM (678) Thread Starter
Member
 
Crawgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 32
Thanks! What size tubing did you use to go over the bleed nipples on calipers and for the modules under the gas tank? Will 1/4Ē work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saughblade View Post
If the rear brake is spongy, you'll probably find air in the control circuit.

When I flushed mine a couple weeks ago, I found there was some air in the rear control circuit as well. I wonder if this has something to do with the linked system--in particular, I tend to not use the rear brake pedal very often (just squeeze the front lever and let the linked system apply the rear; yeah, I'm lazy), and I wonder if the lack of regular exercise allows the rear control circuit to admit air in some way. Seals dry out, maybe?

08 Goldwing 1800
12 Ural Patrol
Crawgator is offline  
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 17-Apr-2019, 11:34 AM (690)
Senile Member on 2006 GS
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Ill-Annoy, USA
Posts: 263
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawgator View Post
Thanks! What size tubing did you use to go over the bleed nipples on calipers and for the modules under the gas tank? Will 1/4Ē work?
Both use 1/4" tubing. The bleeders themselves are different sizes: the ones on the module are 7mm, while the ones on the calipers are 8mm. Do yourself a favor and get a six-point box wrench (or socket) for both; it really sucks to round them off, and it sounds like yours have had a lot of time to get sticky.

BTW, there may be a "grub screw" in one of the front calipers instead of a bleeder. Apparently they came from the factory that way (something to do with how the system was initially filled). Almost everybody removes the grub screw and replaces it with a bleeder as part of the first flush... if you find the grub screw in there, it might be indicate the previous owner(s) never flushed the brake system... ugh...

Whizzy brakes, no FD drain plug, what's not to like?
saughblade is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need used GS advice Rtm58 General chatter 4 14-Nov-2016 05:27 PM (977)
Looking at buying used 2014 GSA Harley General chatter 7 18-Oct-2015 06:03 PM (960)
Need advice about buying used. bearman1964 General chatter 5 06-Oct-2014 10:31 AM (647)
New or used gs, advice. Crashbar General chatter 9 29-May-2013 02:29 AM (312)

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome