BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums (https://www.r1200gs.info/forum/)
-   Maintenance and Modifications (https://www.r1200gs.info/forum/14-maintenance-modifications/)
-   -   Looking at a used GS. Need advice. (https://www.r1200gs.info/forum/14-maintenance-modifications/48777-looking-used-gs-need-advice.html)

Crawgator 29-Mar-2019 10:47 AM (658)

Looking at a used GS. Need advice.

I have a friend with a GS he wants to sell. It's an 05 GS with ABS and plenty of accessories. Issue is it has not been cranked in over a year and the gas is at least that old maybe a bit older. Battery is dead. He does not remember if he used additive in the gas. I bought a F650GS from him in past in similar case and it needed a fuel pump since it was rusted/locked up. Other than that it was a great bike. This GS has been stored inside. So what are the potential problems? I assume fuel pump may have issues. What else? What do I need to check? Build date for the R1200GS was 5/05. He believes its less than 20k miles.

I'm thinking drain the gas and add fresh with techron and stabil additive. Add new battery and crank and ride to warm up fluids then change all. Do a brake flush and check rear splines while changing the FD oil.

Thought, suggestions on the best way to bring it back to life?

Thanks!

judgedelta 29-Mar-2019 11:03 AM (668)

It appears that if "friend" wants to sell this bike and is not planning on giving it away, he should be the one doing the rehabbing to get it in running condition. If you buy a new battery, there is no guarantee that it will run. I would never buy an inoperable bike unless for a basket-case price.

Crawgator 29-Mar-2019 11:04 AM (669)

Quote:

Originally Posted by judgedelta (Post 287245)
It appears that if "friend" wants to sell this bike and is not planning on giving it away, he should be the one doing the rehabbing to get it in running condition. If you buy a new battery, there is no guarantee that it will run. I would never buy an inoperable bike unless for a basket-case price.

It is a good price based on current market prices.

Revilok 29-Mar-2019 11:19 AM (680)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawgator (Post 287247)
It is a good price based on current market prices.

The point being that you don't even know if it runs and if not what it will take to get it there. The deal would have to be sweet enough that if you had to do some pretty major work to get it to run you would still be in it for a good price.

Catbrown357 29-Mar-2019 11:40 AM (695)

Sounds like your friend doesn't take care of his bikes. If you want a bike at fair market price, look elsewhere. There are plenty of them for sale whose owners have taken good care of them. Probably with meticulous maintenance logs. Walk away from your "friend's" problems unless he is willing to sell at a significant price cut.

Crawgator 29-Mar-2019 11:44 AM (697)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revilok (Post 287249)
The point being that you don't even know if it runs and if not what it will take to get it there. The deal would have to be sweet enough that if you had to do some pretty major work to get it to run you would still be in it for a good price.

Understood! That is why I am asking thoughts on what it takes to revive a dormant bike.

Crawgator 29-Mar-2019 11:49 AM (701)

Thanks for suggestions on buying. I am happy with the price. Considerably less than market and it has $6k in aftermarket parts (Custom suspension, aftermarket and stock luggage, tons of Touratech goodies, etc...)

What I am looking for is suggestions from those that have revived dormant bike. :nerd:

So.... I plan to drain the gas and replace new. Its fairly easy to clean the injectors from what I have seen. I know I need to flush the brake fluid and all the other fluids. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

chaostrophy 29-Mar-2019 12:50 PM (743)

I'd throw in that year has the servo brakes, I'd at least want to give it electrical power, and see if the warning light goes from the 4 per second to the one per second (goes out once you're moving above 2mph or so). That means that it passes the abs self test. I believe Module Masters is finally rebuilding the units for sane money ($350 vs $3k from BMW), check the thread for the info, I could be wrong.

Sent from my S70 using Tapatalk

Southpaw 29-Mar-2019 01:31 PM (771)

I bought an "05 under similar conditions 3 years ago. Dead battery. Stored in a garage 3 years with a tank of gas . In Florida, gas turns to crap from heat. I took the chance plus I knew the seller well enough and bought the non runner.

Step #1 - Ran the VIN through the BMW service recall database. Bike had not yet had the fuel pump recall performed yet. Good news for me since dealer would honor the recall "free".

Step #2 - Pulled tank and dumped putrid fuel. Reinstalled tank.

Step #3 - Installed a new battery , switched on, but did not crank the motor since did not want to run any putrid fuel through EFI.

Step#4 - got an appointment with local BMW service center and trailered bike down to them. Did not tell them about condition of bike.

Step #5 - Picked up bike next day and was delighted when they told me bike was running great and they performed 3 recall services including new pump, controller and even did the rear hub recall.

Bike had 24 k miles on odometer. Has run perfectly ever since. I do the rest of the maintenance myself. The original owner was a perfectionist on maintenance and accessories. Still can't believe how little I paid for the bike and how well it has served me. Only issue of any significance I incurred was a brake servo malfunction. BMW wanted $3000 for new unit. On my own I bled the system and the problem was air bubbles in the rear lines. Just the price of fluid was the cost of the repair. Be careful of dealers. They are profit based. If it were me I would take the dive.

Crawgator 29-Mar-2019 08:49 PM (076)

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks folks! I went and looked at it today. Full ZEGA luggage including top case, BMW tank bag and hard trunk, Sargent low seat, Touratech skid guard, cylinder guard, hand guards, lockable GPS holder and a few other parts and pieces, GS-911 tool. Did I mention the custom lower Wilber adjustable shock and BMW low seat (one reason I was interested since I am vertically challenged... :wink2: )

Battery dead dead dead. Active recalls for fuel pump and rear wheel flange. Tires are brand new but old and I will replace them. Oil was full but gas tank just about empty. Few normal scraps and scuff but overall in decent condition. So far I'm pleased! I'll pick it p in the next few days and get to work getting it back on the road!

Forgot to mention it has the Sargents low seat and handlebar riser as well.