Dragging Clutch - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 30-Mar-2019, 09:55 PM (121) Thread Starter

Garage
Dragging Clutch

Hi all, 2013 R1200GS LC, 35kkm. Clutch is not fully disengaging and bike drags when on 1st with clutch lever fully pressed. in only started in last 5k and was getting progressively worse. Checked on the centre stand and on 1st gear the wheel is only slightly slower with the clutch fully pressed than it is without.
Checked clutch fluid, clean blue color, lvl ok. Engine oil changed 5k ago at bmw shop Advantec 5w40, lvl ok. tried to adjust at the lever, but no difference.
Symptoms are very similar to Sgbiker problem he described here: http://sgbikerboy.com/2018/09/08/dif...could-be-this/
my clutch doesn't seem to be slipping though. I'm in Pakistan at the moment, so cannot access bmw service. My engine is in the range of those which might have this problem. I ordered the thrust adapter and it's due to arrive on Wednesday. I will replace it then and will check the clutch.
Anyone had similar issues, any ideas why it might've happened? I had to slip the clutch a bit in the offroad/city traffic here, but it wasn't anything extreme. If the part is to be blamed why no problems earlier? As clutch is wearing out it should be even easier to disengage as the slippage not dragging is developing?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 31-Mar-2019, 02:58 AM (332)
LAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by olski View Post
Hi all, 2013 R1200GS LC, 35kkm. Clutch is not fully disengaging and bike drags when on 1st with clutch lever fully pressed. in only started in last 5k and was getting progressively worse. Checked on the centre stand and on 1st gear the wheel is only slightly slower with the clutch fully pressed than it is without.
Checked clutch fluid, clean blue color, lvl ok. Engine oil changed 5k ago at bmw shop Advantec 5w40, lvl ok. tried to adjust at the lever, but no difference.
Symptoms are very similar to Sgbiker problem he described here: Difficulty Finding Neutral on BMW R1200GS LC? It Could be This! ? Ramblings of a Singapore Biker Boy
my clutch doesn't seem to be slipping though. I'm in Pakistan at the moment, so cannot access bmw service. My engine is in the range of those which might have this problem. I ordered the thrust adapter and it's due to arrive on Wednesday. I will replace it then and will check the clutch.
Anyone had similar issues, any ideas why it might've happened? I had to slip the clutch a bit in the offroad/city traffic here, but it wasn't anything extreme. If the part is to be blamed why no problems earlier? As clutch is wearing out it should be even easier to disengage as the slippage not dragging is developing?
thanks
Sounds like worn seals in your master cylinder. The MC is easy enough to replace.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 31-Mar-2019, 05:56 PM (955)
GS (and DR)

When you checked the fluid did you open the cover on your clutch fluid reservoir? Did you drain any excess fluid to make sure the lever is below the MAX mark?

As the clutch wears the fluid will rise in the master cylinder. Every service I open mine up. Every once in a while I need to extract some excess fluid. I do that by dipping the corner of a clean (hopefully line free) paper towel into the fluid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode