LED H7 dipped beam globe replacement? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mikec
  • 1 Post By Sundodger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 03:40 PM (861) Thread Starter

LED H7 dipped beam globe replacement?

I recently rode home around midnight without my dipped beam, the globe had blown. Its the first time that I can recall having a headlight globe blow in over 40 years of riding, maybe I'm just lucky, but the experience got me thinking about replacement LED globes that are so common these days.
Does anyone have any experience with fitting one to their oil cooled 1200? The only potential issues I can see are getting one that is canbus compatible and size/cooling. The ones I've seen of Fleabay have a large heat sink which I doubt would be particularly effective in dispersing heat once the watertight cap was replaced, always assuming that the cap would go back on. Some of the heat sinks seem to be fairly chunky in comparison to the globe itself.
I could always carry a spare Halogen globe I guess but I found it a pig to replace if I'm honest, having big hands didn't help and I was thinking an LED replacement would be a better long term proposition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 17-Apr-2019, 04:53 AM (412)

Garage

A friend of my acquired two of Cyclops' LED for his machine and they're first class. He said it was the best improvement he's done to the motorcycle. Here's the link: https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.c...set_p_147.html The Cyclops units have been on his bike for a few years and yielded flawless results.

On the site, you'll see the installation video as well as the before/after results. It's pretty impressive.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Crucian likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 17-Apr-2019, 05:47 AM (449)

Garage

Matt Gecko has an option for you, too: https://mattgeckoleds.com/shop?olsPa...ed-and-hexhead

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 17-Apr-2019, 02:14 PM (801) Thread Starter

Thats good information, thanks. Given that 50% of my riding is in the dark, I commute home around midnight, I figure effective lighting is a good investment.
mikec likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode