Advice on 1200 Mile Service. - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-Apr-2019, 08:40 AM (569) Thread Starter

Exclamation Advice on 1200 Mile Service.

Hi all,

Just purchased 2015 R 1200 GSA , its due for 12,000 mile service. Called around for quotes, dealers asking $800.

History of the bike, never been off road. Previous owner maintained it pretty good. Don't think he rode it hard.

So seeking advice to see if it can be done my self and recommendations on stuff to get

1. Engine oil change with filter (Whats the best engine oil (So Cal weather) and filter)
2. Gear Box oil change (Which brand?) is it necessary?
3. Adjusting Valve clearance? Can I wait till 18k miles or do you think it should be done for sure?
4. Replacing all spark plugs? Which brand to get and is it necessary if the bikes not ridden hard?
5. Replacing air filter ( Brand?)
6. Replacing belt for generator? No idea about this. Will look for some videos and please recommend type of belt to purchase.
7. Checking break fluid, coolant and other levels.

Anything else I am missing. All recommendations appreciated. Thank you in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-Apr-2019, 09:36 AM (608)

Garage
I am a big fan of doing all my oil/filter, air filter, and final drive fluids at any service interval. It makes the final price more tollerable too.
I also am a fan of letting my local dealer do anything that requires cracking a seal, which the 12k requires for valve checks, especially while bike is still under warranty.
It also means another set of eyes looking over the things on the service list and it connects into the mother ship for any updates, etc.
I let my local dealer know I have done most the work already for the service interval and gets me in and out in a jiffy.
My local dealer has been great to me in the past and I have no problem supporting them.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-Apr-2019, 10:54 AM (662)

Garage
Helpful Q and A. Thanks guys.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-Apr-2019, 03:41 PM (862)
GS (and DR)

You are looking at maintenance info for the previous generation of bikes. A '15 doesn't have a separate gear box and the alternator is internal to the engine -- no belts to change, etc.

Dealer maintenace is expensive, partly because labor costs and partly because they will always replace wear items where an owner might re-use them. Example: valve cover gasket sets are expensive. I have a spare set just in case I ever need one. So far that has never happened. A dealer, on the other hand, will always replace them.

https://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gsw/Service.pdf is my unofficial checklist for 6K and 12K services. Fluid changes, air filter change, oil filter change, and spark plug changes are necessary when using the stock parts. If using iridium spark plugs you can go longer than 12K.

I use any oil that meets BMW specs. This stuff doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

This is the oil filter I use. If in doubt that it will fit your bike buy one from your local dealer.

I get the recommended FD fluid from the dealer. They sell in in a 7 oz bottle.

I usually get an air filter from the dealer, too.

You want to check your valves, if for no other reason that to see where they are so you have a baseline to compare against future measurements to tell how fast they are wearing. I've not yet had to change a valve shim.

https://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gsw/...0-12k-service/ documents the first 12K service I did on my '13 GS. It may give you a rough idea of what needs to be done.
fampton, goethe, Crawgator and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-Apr-2019, 06:11 PM (966)
Survivor

Garage
Buy Jim Von Badenís DVD (jvbproductions.com), buy a BMW service manual DVD. All your questions will be answered and you wonít have to rely on the advice of some guy on the internet. As motorcycles go, this is a very easy one to maintain.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-Apr-2019, 06:42 PM (988)
Kam

I am no mechanic. I have a 2015 gs.
I've done oil changes, filter, final drive, spark plugs, air filter, and even a valve clearance check.

How was I a non mechanic able to do this? The DVD mentioned, you tube, AND THE HELP OF THE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE. this bike is easy to work on, at least the "normal" stuff.

Get the 6k kits from beemer bone yard.

You'll save $$$

Now, said that, I chickened out about actually adjusting my valves. But with all the moola I've saved I was ok with that.

Kam
ExHarley Rider and Kartik7k like this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-Apr-2019, 06:50 PM (993)

In this case you would need the 12K service kit. Like was said above, get the DVD and watch some YouTube. If I can do it anybody should be able to. You will need the correct tools though. I've got the set from AdvDesigns. It has everything you should need, except maybe feeler gauges. May as well use what you would be using on the side of the road.

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/r1welbi.html
https://www.advdesigns.com/ulcotokitfor.html
Kartik7k likes this.

Cliff
Lincoln County, NC, USA
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 20-Apr-2019, 01:46 PM (782)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
You can do it yourself, but agree with the rec for the JVB DVD.
If you want to get a taste of what the DVD is like, go to his website and there are some maintenance videos there and you can see for yourself.
This assumes you have a torque wrench and feeler gauges.

I've found only 2 mildly tricky parts---and neither are anywhere close to deal breakers---getting to TDC--hard to see in there--and finagling the cover back on to the air filter case. Neither results in cursing or calling on God for help.

I get replacement oil and air filters from Amazon, but BeemerBoneyard is a good source also. I ( and many also) use Shell Rotella T6 (I believe), good oil for our rides.
Do it, you'll be glad you did.
ExHarley Rider likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 20-Apr-2019, 07:51 PM (035)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartik7k View Post
7. Checking break fluid, coolant and other levels.

Anything else I am missing. All recommendations appreciated. Thank you in advance!!
Brake fluid should be changed at 1 year. On a 2016 model (mine) it was done in 2017 and then every other year (again this year). Speed bleeders help a lot if you are doing it alone, but not required. They are relatively inexpensive.

Clutch fluid does not require changing unless you are into the transmission or suspect air in the line.

Cliff
Lincoln County, NC, USA
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2019, 06:06 PM (963)

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/r1200wcsmaintkit.html

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/finalbottle.html

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/83300401700.html

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/jvbdvd1200lc.html

This will get you started, you will also need feeler gauges. I just did the 12,000 on my GSA and the valves are much easier to access than they were on my old KTM 950....lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode