GS won't start, won't turn over, display goes dead - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tom Thornbury

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-May-2019, 09:44 AM (614) Thread Starter

GS won't start, won't turn over, display goes dead

Hi

My crusty 2005 r1200gs won't start. When I turn the key I get DWALO code, then when I press the starter button it makes one thunk, then the display goes dead. The display stays dead until I disconnect and reconnect the battery. The engine doesn't turn over and it doesn't make a starting sound. The battery is new and I was out on it recently so it should have some charge. Any ideas? TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-May-2019, 10:05 AM (628)

Garage
Mr Google says that is an internal Alarm Low Battery code. Assuming this is correct and you have an alarm there are two CR123A batteries in the Alarm box, under the seat. How or why this would prevent the bike from starting....no idea.

Was that code displayed on the instruments or the result of a GS911 scan? If you haven't scanned it for fault codes locate a scanner and see what you get and or if you have an alarm module, change the batteries and see what happens?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-May-2019, 10:58 AM (665) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucian View Post
Mr Google says that is an internal Alarm Low Battery code. Assuming this is correct and you have an alarm there are two CR123A batteries in the Alarm box, under the seat. How or why this would prevent the bike from starting....no idea.

Was that code displayed on the instruments or the result of a GS911 scan? If you haven't scanned it for fault codes locate a scanner and see what you get and or if you have an alarm module, change the batteries and see what happens?

Cheers. I should have mentioned the code was for the alarm (I googled it too). The code was on the instrument panel. I will replace those batteries asap. I was wondering if the alarm battery could possibly affect the starting of the bike. Is there any reason why an alarm with a low battery might automatically shut the bike down? Sorry I'm a bit of a dunce on electronics...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-May-2019, 01:17 PM (762)
LAS

Charge the battery or jump start that the battery is new and you recently rode the bike doesn’t mean that something did not drain the battery or that it has not failed.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-May-2019, 07:34 PM (024)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Thornbury View Post
Cheers. I should have mentioned the code was for the alarm (I googled it too). The code was on the instrument panel. I will replace those batteries asap. I was wondering if the alarm battery could possibly affect the starting of the bike. Is there any reason why an alarm with a low battery might automatically shut the bike down? Sorry I'm a bit of a dunce on electronics...
According to this post at ADVrider, low batteries in the alarm module shouldn't keep the bike from starting, as it's a CANbus bike and the immobilizer function is provided by the occasionally-troublesome EWS ("Engine Won't Start") antenna and chip key. However, as Abe Lincoln said, you can't believe everything you read on the internet, so by all means try changing the alarm batteries and tell us what happened!

Whizzy brakes, no FD drain plug, what's not to like?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 13-May-2019, 12:43 PM (738)

Check the battery terminals for loose connections.

Tanque 55
79 Super Glide
99 KLR
2015 Street Glide (gone):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 GSA
2019 1250 GSA
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 14-May-2019, 03:08 AM (339) Thread Starter

I got it started. It is the battery. It's only a few months old but it must be dead. Many thanks for all your help.
Crucian likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode