Bmw 1200GS camshaft gear issue - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 19-May-2019, 05:15 AM (427) Thread Starter

Question Bmw 1200GS camshaft gear issue

Hi all,

I have the BMW 1200 Gs LC 2017 with 14.000km, purchased as new from a local dealer, a few days ago I had serious engine failure.
The left cylinder has suddenly changed the sound; it happened at approximately 7000rpm, I had immediately stopped and organised transport to the authorised BMW service point.

Were found loosen camshaft gear bolts on the left cylinder, it seems that nothing is damaged. We checked gear timing and looks all OK!

I would be very grateful for sharing similar experiences if there are? Also, I appreciate any advise on how to proceed with further relations with BMW...

Br Drazen
Attached Images

Br
Drazen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 19-May-2019, 11:28 AM (686)
GS (and DR)

If the cam gear bolts were loose the cam was probably not rotating as it should. My concern is that a valve could have been open when the piston was at TDC. I don't know if the GS valves/piston are an interference fit, meaning there isn't room in the head for an open valve and the piston at the same time. If so I'd pull the head and make sure a valve didn't hit the piston and bend.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 19-May-2019, 09:31 PM (104)

If it is the 4 bolts that hold the gear to the cam and the gear did not come off then refit the bolts and loctight/torque to spec, check timing if all correct then I doubt there has been any damage. Unless the gear came off or the chain skipped a tooth then the valves would not have hit. If you really need to check this for peace of mind get them to do a compression check and put a bore scope down the spark plug hole to have a look. There is no way I would remove the head if the bike is running fine.I have seen more than a few engines do this over the years and never seen 1 suffer from damage. Sometimes things come loose, were not tightened correctly. Mass production is it's own worst enemy.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 20-May-2019, 12:59 AM (249) Thread Starter

HI Ryan,

Thanks for yours, I also share your opinion.
From what I saw, nothing was damaged by loosening bolts.
I had look oil plug and open oil filter to check for possible metals practices, all looks OK.
I understand you have seen this failure in the past??? Am I correct???
Could you share some more details😲

Br
Drazen
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 21-May-2019, 08:07 AM (546)

Anyhow, I would send a registered letter to your dealer wherein you write down a detailed resume of what happened and which measures haven been taken by him.
In this letter you expressly reserve all your rights as to eventual future damages (direct and indirect) which may reveal themselves as a consequence of the defective parts and their recent repair.
By acting this way BMW won't be able to turn down its responsibility by pretending that you have accepted the executed repair as being final and thus waiving all your rights for the future.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 21-May-2019, 09:19 PM (097)

Hi Drazen. I have worked for a lot of manufacturers over the years. Not just a BMW issue. Have seen it happen on quite a few engines, BMW, Subaru, Ford, Suzuki, Opel, Honda, Kawasaki. Sounds like they were happy to show you what happened and are not hiding anything from you. If it is running fine and no abnormal noise or vibration then go for a ride and enjoy. Ask for a copy of the repair order. If anything goes wrong in the future it is on their system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode