Tick Tick. Boom? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By saughblade
  • 3 Post By mikec
  • 2 Post By mikec

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-May-2019, 12:00 PM (708) Thread Starter

Tick Tick. Boom?

2004 R1200 GS, 62,000 Km on it. Right side tick. Valves adjusted. Quiets down when clutch lever compressed and or rpm's raised. Just enough to annoy me and ponder imminent CIAOS DEATH AND EXPLOSIONS! I am a worrier. Any insight greatly appreciated as usual. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-May-2019, 09:22 PM (099)

Is the idle speed adjusted correctly. Throttle bodies may need adjusting/balancing.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-May-2019, 06:28 AM (477)

As far as I know, idle speed is automatic adjustable.

R 1200 GS '06

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-May-2019, 08:18 AM (554)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
A noise that goes away when you pull in the clutch is unlikely to be a valve train noise, or an engine noise at all for that matter.

I have read that Hexhead transmissions have a sort of cush-drive on the transmission input shaft (similar to Harley's infamous "compensator sprocket") to smooth out power pulses a bit, and that these have a not terribly uncommon benign failure mode which does nothing beyond make a bit of noise. Can't say I've ever heard that sound myself, so don't know if it's a ticking or not.

There is also a thread somewhere on this forum where a guy spent forever chasing a noise and it turned out to be a loose windshield screw!

These bikes are in many ways mechanically farm implements (though with supercomputer electronics!) and make lots and lots of noises. I have gotten in the habit of simply ignoring "funny noises" if all the routine adjustments are within spec.

Your mileage (and sanity) may vary, of course.
Southpaw likes this.

Whizzy brakes, no FD drain plug, what's not to like?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-May-2019, 09:35 AM (607) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saughblade View Post
A noise that goes away when you pull in the clutch is unlikely to be a valve train noise, or an engine noise at all for that matter.

a guy spent forever chasing a noise and it turned out to be a loose windshield screw!

These bikes are in many ways mechanically farm implements (though with supercomputer electronics!) and make lots and lots of noises. I have gotten in the habit of simply ignoring "funny noises" if all the routine adjustments are within spec.
Your mileage (and sanity) may vary, of course.
I was quite sure it was drive train as well since when the clutch was engaged it stopped. Gets louder when hot. It's driving well, shifts fine, no clutch slippage and great acceleration. I wish it were a loose nut. Only found one and he's holding the wrench. For now it's keep it in gear to shut it up. Cheers
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-May-2019, 02:05 PM (795)

Garage
Tick Tick. Boom?

Had an '09 that had a similar ticking noise. Changed the cam chain tensioner and that did the trick. I think Beemer Boneyard has the fix . . . . . . yup, just looked: https://www.beemerboneyard.com/11317656922cuk.html

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-May-2019, 02:43 PM (821)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
I had a 2004 1150 roadster and iirc the chain tensioner made that noise. I don't remember the clutch playing any role though, and it was an 1150, not a 1200.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-May-2019, 09:03 AM (585) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Had an '09 that had a similar ticking noise. Changed the cam chain tensioner and that did the trick. I think Beemer Boneyard has the fix . . . . . . yup, just looked: https://www.beemerboneyard.com/11317656922cuk.html

Mike
I had intended to change the tensioners if they weren't all ready but would that stop when the clutch was engaged?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-May-2019, 09:07 AM (588) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
I had a 2004 1150 roadster and iirc the chain tensioner made that noise. I don't remember the clutch playing any role though, and it was an 1150, not a 1200.
So far the consensus is "It's nothing they all do that" all the way to "Yer bearings are going and if you don't do it now your trans. will dis integrate $3k minimum" ??? I'm going to change the gear oil and see what it says. No metal to worries I guess.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-May-2019, 09:57 AM (623)

Garage
Tick Tick. Boom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
I had intended to change the tensioners if they weren't all ready but would that stop when the clutch was engaged?
I cannot tell you that. It certainly cured my '09 but I don't recall the clutch either being or not being engaged. The cam chain tensioner was a known issue in that series of engines. The parts isn't too expensive and you can install it. Personally, I'd make the change and see what happens as it cannot hurt the engine.

Mike
Dr. Strangelove and Also Ran like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode