18 R1200GS Rallye Shift Grinding Sensation - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 21-May-2019, 02:29 PM (811) Thread Starter

Unhappy 18 R1200GS Rallye Shift Grinding Sensation

So long story short, recently I started having these moments where when I shift from 1st to 2nd, sometimes it experience grinding sensation in the clutch foot lever. about 30~40% of the time.

It is more pronounced when I ride the bike for a few hours in...

Most of the time I could bang into the gear without "much" issue, but there are times I feel the transmission just does not like it while still allow me to shift into 2nd.

I sort of "negate" this issue by shifting REALLY fast but sometimes still happens or I could feel it...

I have searched thru the forum and several "solutions" popped up:

1. preload the gear before selecting <- I guess I would have to try that more
2. software update helps <- but that was pre 15, mine is 18, shouldn't software be latest or near the latest?
3. change the lever closer to my foot <- If I shift the lever any lower, I can't put my left boot in to shift up comfortably...

Has anyone with newer GS still have this sensation? or is it one of those deal of "shut up and ride more?"

Also, I have the clunk from N to 1st, but I just accept that as it happens to most of my previous bikes lol...

Anyway, any inputs are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 21-May-2019, 03:32 PM (855)

is the bike due for an oil change?

Riding "Sir Falls Downalot"

A wish is a desire without an attempt.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 21-May-2019, 03:38 PM (860) Thread Starter

not for a while...

it only got less than 4000 KM on it...

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 21-May-2019, 04:24 PM (892)

Garage
18 R1200GS Rallye Shift Grinding Sensation

1. Does this happen while you're using shift assist pro?

2. "If I shift the lever any lower, I can't put my left boot in to shift up comfortably..." Do you need to raise the shifter up?

3. At what rpm are you shifting? They seem to like 3500-4000 rpms for good shifts.

I have an '18 without shift assist and it shifts beautifully . . . smooth as silk.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 21-May-2019, 04:27 PM (894) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
1. Does this happen while you're using shift assist pro?

2. "If I shift the lever any lower, I can't put my left boot in to shift up comfortably..." Do you need to raise the shifter up?

3. At what rpm are you shifting? They seem to like 3500-4000 rpms for good shifts.

I have an '18 without shift assist and it shifts beautifully . . . smooth as silk.

Mike
1. it happens when I shift with the clutch. I rarely use the shift assist pro as I am not used to it and was warned against to use on lower gear. But I do notice I have to lift the lever harder than my other bikes without any sort of shift assist.

2. right now my foot fits okay. Some people mentioned the lever should be tighter to the foot for less of a gap. I don't think I have that gap...

3. I tend to shift 4~5K RPM if not slightly more...perhaps I should shift @ lower RPM?

I should mentioned it does have shift assist pro...

Last edited by TimmyTheHog; 21-May-2019 at 04:30 PM (896).
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 21-May-2019, 04:41 PM (903)

Garage
18 R1200GS Rallye Shift Grinding Sensation

Tim, I'd take it to the dealer and let them sort it out. Don't let them tell you, "they all do that."

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 22-May-2019, 06:20 PM (972)

I have just replaced my 2011 GSA ESA with a 2018 GSA Rallye with shift assist and I just can't get used to the gearbox. Despite adjusting the clutch lever and gear lever positions I can't get the new bike to shift anything like as well as the one I just sold.

The 11 shifted beautifully and I never missed a gear, right from day 1. Sure it seemed a little agricultural and a bit clunky but in a nice solid well engineered sort of way. As for the 2018, when its cold its not too bad but once it warms up it drops into first with a clunk and the bike lurches forward despite the clutch being held back to the bars. Changes from first to second and second to third aren't always clean and result in some grinding and down changes in the lower gears are similar. Its as if the clutch isn't opening fully and I am beginning to suspect it needs a good bleed. As for the quick shifter, its so violent through the gears I've stopped using it for fear of breaking something.

Having read the operating manual I was of the assumption that shift assist didn't kick in unless clutches gear changes were being made but mine blips the throttle on downshifts even when I have de clutched. The bike is due for its 10,000km service soon and I'm going to report it as an issue but would also appreciate any feedback from other owners who have experienced something similar.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 23-May-2019, 12:36 PM (733) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundodger View Post
I have just replaced my 2011 GSA ESA with a 2018 GSA Rallye with shift assist and I just can't get used to the gearbox. Despite adjusting the clutch lever and gear lever positions I can't get the new bike to shift anything like as well as the one I just sold.

The 11 shifted beautifully and I never missed a gear, right from day 1. Sure it seemed a little agricultural and a bit clunky but in a nice solid well engineered sort of way. As for the 2018, when its cold its not too bad but once it warms up it drops into first with a clunk and the bike lurches forward despite the clutch being held back to the bars. Changes from first to second and second to third aren't always clean and result in some grinding and down changes in the lower gears are similar. Its as if the clutch isn't opening fully and I am beginning to suspect it needs a good bleed. As for the quick shifter, its so violent through the gears I've stopped using it for fear of breaking something.

Having read the operating manual I was of the assumption that shift assist didn't kick in unless clutches gear changes were being made but mine blips the throttle on downshifts even when I have de clutched. The bike is due for its 10,000km service soon and I'm going to report it as an issue but would also appreciate any feedback from other owners who have experienced something similar.
Ya, Your experience is exactly same as mine...

I don't have long legs, so sometimes that jerk forward causes me almost lose balance...fear of dropping is def there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Tim, I'd take it to the dealer and let them sort it out. Don't let them tell you, "they all do that."

Mike
I haven't had a chance to call my dealer...been too busy at work.

So far I changed my shifting habit a bit...softer but firmer...quick but not jerky...clutch hand slower...

all those helps with the "grinding" feel...still does happen once a while but nothing crazy.

I am going to do the same as Sundodger, call it in and at VERY minimum, have them record what happen so no future surprise and warranty issue if they deemed "okay".

man, frustrating...
mikec likes this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 27-May-2019, 12:43 PM (738) Thread Starter

so a quick update...

called the service department on Saturday, basically gave me "yup, it just required some break-in", "it will be better with time", "you are not the only one mentioned it but I wouldn't worry about it"...all that sort of things.

I told him, I WILL keep on riding and will try to shift softer...but if anything does do worth things, this WILL be a warranty job.

He says "shouldn't be a problem"...

so, ya, request to record "feedback on file", and I will keep on riding...crossing fingers nothing goes BOOM in the meantime...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 27-May-2019, 05:14 PM (926)

My 2016 GS since new has never shifted smoothly. It clunks into first and a slight grind in 2nd and 3rd. This has been going on for 33k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode