R1200GS K25 Update Software??? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By saughblade
  • 2 Post By marc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 30-May-2019, 02:46 AM (324) Thread Starter

R1200GS K25 Update Software???

Hi.
Does anybody know if it is possible to update the software of the bike and get some more info at the display? My bike (R1200GS 2007) have a really basic configuration and it only shows Trip 1 and Trip 2 distance. It would be nice to have at least the range and the outside temperature.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 31-May-2019, 06:18 AM (471)

Garage
2007 ecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by smonteiro View Post
Hi.
Does anybody know if it is possible to update the software of the bike and get some more info at the display? My bike (R1200GS 2007) have a really basic configuration and it only shows Trip 1 and Trip 2 distance. It would be nice to have at least the range and the outside temperature.
Thanks.
As far as I know the ECU on that generation is not the same as the oil cooled 2010-2012 model and therefore the update that you are looking for is likely not available.

Of course if you really want to be sure that your bike has all of the updates pertaining to your model it’s probably best to take your bike to a dealer near you and get your bike plugged into their computer. For the 30 minutes of their time to perform the check and download any possible updates that your bike doesn’t have shouldn’t cost more than $50.00 I would imagine.

Other than that there countless temp display units in the aftermarket and a Garmin Navigator can be programmed in accordance with your tanks range.

Personally I’d just check my phone for ambient temps and use one of the trip meters to physically mark zero from an empty tank a few times under various conditions and you will quickly get a sense of the range of your bike.

R1200 GSA
KTM 500 EXC
F650 Dakar
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 31-May-2019, 07:15 AM (510)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
When the fuel level drops into the "reserve" range (about 40-50 miles left) and the low-fuel warning (yellow triangle and flashing gas pump) comes on, a third trip meter showing miles left in the tank will appear and start counting down. So you do have a range indicator. At least that's what my '06 does.

I don't think it's possible to do more than a guesstimated range remaining on a pre-2008 model, as the saughstrahlpumpe ("sucking jet pump") keeps the left side of the tank (where the level sender is) full until the right half has been almost completely emptied. That's why the gas gauge goes from "full" to "1/2" instantly around 90-110 miles.

Whizzy brakes, no FD drain plug, what's not to like?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 31-May-2019, 07:44 AM (530) Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies.
It would be nice to have these functions onboard, but maybe I can just install a small temp. gauge on a 3d printed part fitted close to the dash. The range would be better to have it all the time, but it is what it is.
I will post an update if I add some temp. gauge somewhere.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 31-May-2019, 12:46 PM (740)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
Can't get much simpler than this. Or cheaper.
smonteiro likes this.

Whizzy brakes, no FD drain plug, what's not to like?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 31-May-2019, 02:03 PM (794)
GS (and DR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smonteiro View Post
I will post an update if I add some temp. gauge somewhere.
This is how I did it on my '05

dcysurfer and smonteiro like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-Jun-2019, 10:06 AM (629) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saughblade View Post
Can't get much simpler than this
This is a good option, but I live in Portugal and we use the metric system. I will try to find something like this but in ºCelsius.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode