R1200GS Forum banner

2018 GS How to remove handlebar switch

12K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  marc 
#1 ·
Trying to remove handlebar switches. Have remove the screw from the right hand switch and have the back side loose, but figure out hot to get the front of the housing to release.
I have BMW service DVD for my R9T. It says to push the lower housing forward and up to release. Feels like I'm going to break something when I do it with this one.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Do NOT separate the top/bottom parts of the switch. You'll damage the protective sealer which will likely result in a ruined switch unit over time. The time period can be quite short.

Remove any handguard and the handlebar weight.
Remove the grip assembly (which includes the switch)
* Pull back the rubber portion to get access to the retaining screw.
* Disconnect the clutch switch (I'm assuming you are removing the left switch unit)
* Rotate handlebars to the left and slide the grip unit and switch off the end of bar
Then you have access to the tabs that hold the cover over the connectors for switch functions and heated grip power.

The switch is a sealed unit. About the only thing you can do is remove it and re-install it. Supposedly it can not be repaired if not working.

Edit: Oops! A closer look at your pictures shows you are working the throttle side. Still similar comments.

Remove handguard and weight if you need to remove the throttle tube. You might want to remove the handguard regardless as it gives you more room to work.

Disconnect wiring plug for throttle tube.

Remove the screw and pull down the cover you pictured slightly

Push cover forward and up to remove. See attached diagram.

Disconnect plugs for heated grips and switch functions.

Remove a screw that was hidden by the plugs.

Now you can remove the switch.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.