Sound proofing GS - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 18-Jun-2019, 07:31 AM (521) Thread Starter

Sound proofing GS

Caveat from the get go. It didn’t work but call me anal, I had to try. Seeing a lot of cars sound proofing engine bonnets with the stick on sound dampening sheets, I thought I’d apply it to all the plastic on the front end of my 1250gs to try to muffle some on the noise that my now sensitive ears continue to struggle with, even with ear plugs.
Heated with a hair drier the sheets mold very nicely, but add little bit of weight. Some pics attached. The sound pitch appear to change slightly, but if anything it’s sounds louder. Maybe it better funnels the noise up through the steering well. Actually I rode it without all the plastic, beak etc for a couple weeks, and looks aside that sounded quieter. The search continues.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 18-Jun-2019, 07:56 AM (539)
Super Awesom Person

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 18-Jun-2019, 11:14 AM (676)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Might want to trade it in for a Honda

'05 1200 GS

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-Jun-2019, 06:28 PM (977) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick92040 View Post
Thanks RIck, one of the ear plugs on my list to check. I read good and bad reports, particularly poor customer support, but trust your recommendation. Cheers.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-Jun-2019, 06:32 PM (980) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Might want to trade it in for a Honda
And or other brands. Looking on the positive side, it has galvanized me to get out and test ride other bikes, something I not done during my long time love affair with the GS.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 20-Jun-2019, 05:13 AM (426)

The irritating noise my R1250GS produces comes from the throttle bodies at the top side of the engine and no sound proofing can reduce it's volume or pitch...
Not being technical myself, I also wonder if your soundproofing material may alter the cooling particularities of your engine which might be harmful in the long run...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 20-Jun-2019, 01:55 PM (788)

I can't believe that your '19 GS is that much louder than my '17. I just got off of my bike after a short 80 mile jaunt and, after stopping to put in some foam ear plugs, I never heard the engine at all. If I might suggest, the cylindrical foam plugs work better, at least on me than the conical ones. They stay in better and seem to seal more thoroughly. If I get the plugs in correctly, I can feel every footstep in my ears. When I'm walking to my bike, if I don't feel the footsteps, I know I'm going to hear the rattle and static noises of the engine and tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode