Transfer seat lock assembly to new tail section - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By smillerv2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 20-Jun-2019, 10:32 PM (147) Thread Starter

Garage
Transfer seat lock assembly to new tail section

Hi, I bought a 2005 R1200GS with a broken pannier mount on the tail section aka luggage support. I found a used tail section online and am trying to swap it out. I've got the old one off but I can't seem to get the lock cylinder out of the old one so I can transfer the lock assembly to the new tail section. I put my key in the cylinder and push in on the locking tab but the cylinder won't budge. Is there a trick to this I'm missing? The key turns the cylinder OK so it's the right key, but I can't get the thing out. I know I'm probably missing something real simple.

I added a picture from the parts manual so you can see what I'm talking about.
Attached Images

Last edited by smillerv2; 20-Jun-2019 at 11:03 PM (168). Reason: Added attachment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 21-Jun-2019, 05:50 AM (451)

Garage
locks

Do a google search for bmw pannier lock removal there are a few videos it is fairly simple

The Clock of Life is Wound But Once
And No Man Has The Power
To Tell Just When The Hands Will Stop
Of What Day or What Hour
Now Is The Only Time You Have
So Live It With A Will
Don't Wait Until Tomorrow
The Hands May Then Be Still

02 GL1800 ABS
2020 BMW R1250 GSA
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 21-Jun-2019, 08:51 AM (577) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftartagl View Post
Do a google search for bmw pannier lock removal there are a few videos it is fairly simple
I tried that. They talk about doing exactly what I'm doing. Put the key in, push the little tab in, and the cylinder slides right out. But not with this one. One video says you have to have it in the locked position if you are trying to remove it without a key, but this doesn't have a "locked" position. You turn it one way to release the rear seat, the other to release the front. Both directions push on a release lever. The closest thing to a "locked" position is when it's centered and you can take the key out. And I do have the key, so I would think it would slide right out in the "neutral" position (centered). Last resort is I will take the tail section to the dealer and hope they don't charge an hour of labor for five minutes or less of work. If I figure this out I'll share the "secret".

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 21-Jun-2019, 02:01 PM (792) Thread Starter

Garage
Got it figured out. You just have to pry off the outer ring around the lock cylinder and the whole lock assembly comes off. I suspected that but didn't want to break anything. I finally decided to take the chance and try that, gently, and it popped off!
dcysurfer likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-Jul-2019, 01:21 PM (764)

Your blogs further

xhmgmcghmxxghnjxhm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode