Replacement battery - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By GrayBeard
  • 1 Post By kramdunc
  • 2 Post By CallanderGS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 21-Jun-2019, 11:03 AM (668) Thread Starter

Replacement battery

At my 24K service my service manager told me my battery was needing replacement based on load testing. The bike is a 2017 BMW GSA that I've had for 25 months (battery warranty lasts 24 mos!). I've never had much luck with BMW batteries, and replaced them with Odysseys on previous BMWs. But, Odyssey doesn't list a battery for my bike. Any advice on a good replacement battery for a BMW waterhead, adventure/touring bike that does 95% touring?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 22-Jun-2019, 08:11 AM (549)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankling View Post
At my 24K service my service manager told me my battery was needing replacement based on load testing. The bike is a 2017 BMW GSA that I've had for 25 months (battery warranty lasts 24 mos!). I've never had much luck with BMW batteries, and replaced them with Odysseys on previous BMWs. But, Odyssey doesn't list a battery for my bike. Any advice on a good replacement battery for a BMW waterhead, adventure/touring bike that does 95% touring?
My usual reaction to needing a battery is to run down to my local Battery Warehouse where I can get a beefy CCA sealed gel cell battery for about $70. My 3 year old 1200GS needed a battery this spring and I decided to finally succumb to the LiFePo battery and put an EarthX 36C (I believe) in my GS. It's speedy but has more CCA and weighs a fraction of the old battery. The EarthX also has all the circuitry built in so that a standard charger works with it (haven't needed to charge it yet) as well as the cell balancing technology. It's so light and working so well that I went ahead and put one in my 1290R when its battery failed and I'll probably go ahead and preemptively put one in my WR250R to shed a few lbs.
SoCalGuy likes this.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 23-Jun-2019, 07:24 PM (016)
Fisherman on 2 wheels!

Garage
OptiMate 4 is your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankling View Post

Sorry to hear, I have a 2015 GS with the original battery still in it. When not in use, the bike is always plugged to an OptiMate battery tender. I use the powerlet plughttps://www.amazon.com/OptiMATE-CAN-...05820177&psc=1

Hope that helps.
ExHarley Rider likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 24-Jun-2019, 04:18 AM (388)

Optimate

Thats + 1 for the Optimate. I have not bought a new battery for at least 5 years. the 2015 GS in my garage has over 50,000km. They can desulfate a battery that many may give up on, give it a try before shelling out the big $$$

Bruce
kramdunc and ExHarley Rider like this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 24-Jun-2019, 11:39 AM (693)

Send a message via Skype™ to nikolasvel
I ordered a $35 sealed AGM battery from amazon. I figured for that price it is a worth a shot even if i only get 2-3 years out of it. Seller was based out of Illinois US.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 24-Jun-2019, 07:00 PM (000)

Garage
I'm a fan of EarthX also. Got one for a custom V-twin, big ci engine, and that battery cranks it over at 30 degrees outside with 20-50 oil in the crankcase. The battery is super light and small too. Never had to charge it, even if it sits for for a month or three, over the last 7 years. I can absolutely recommend them.

Black 2018 R1200GS Adventure, Yes Nav VI, no TFT.
Still have Harley, but it's quite lonely now...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 27-Jun-2019, 01:08 AM (255)
Not that senior.

Send a message via MSN to gdayjr Send a message via Yahoo to gdayjr Send a message via Skype™ to gdayjr
I fitted a new Lithium Ion a few months ago.

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...m/atx12-hd-rs/

Plus this

https://adventuremotorcycle.com/news...attery-monitor

Graham Day. Sydney Australia
2005 R1200GS 93,000km (Stolen)
2004 R1200GS. 88, 000 km
2007 R1200GS. 34000 km.
current bike. 2010 R1200GS. 83000 km and going as good as new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode