R1200GS Forum banner

Replacement battery

29K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Bucket Meister 
#1 ·
At my 24K service my service manager told me my battery was needing replacement based on load testing. The bike is a 2017 BMW GSA that I've had for 25 months (battery warranty lasts 24 mos!). I've never had much luck with BMW batteries, and replaced them with Odysseys on previous BMWs. But, Odyssey doesn't list a battery for my bike. Any advice on a good replacement battery for a BMW waterhead, adventure/touring bike that does 95% touring?

#2 ·
My usual reaction to needing a battery is to run down to my local Battery Warehouse where I can get a beefy CCA sealed gel cell battery for about $70. My 3 year old 1200GS needed a battery this spring and I decided to finally succumb to the LiFePo battery and put an EarthX 36C (I believe) in my GS. It's speedy but has more CCA and weighs a fraction of the old battery. The EarthX also has all the circuitry built in so that a standard charger works with it (haven't needed to charge it yet) as well as the cell balancing technology. It's so light and working so well that I went ahead and put one in my 1290R when its battery failed and I'll probably go ahead and preemptively put one in my WR250R to shed a few lbs.

Reactions: SoCalGuy
#6 ·
I'm a fan of EarthX also. Got one for a custom V-twin, big ci engine, and that battery cranks it over at 30 degrees outside with 20-50 oil in the crankcase. The battery is super light and small too. Never had to charge it, even if it sits for for a month or three, over the last 7 years. I can absolutely recommend them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.