R1200GS Forum banner

Front and rear brake issue

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  bmwbob51 
#1 ·
Although I've done a search I don't see anything that pertains to my particular brake issue. I have a 2018 GSA with just over 4k miles on it. All services performed at dealership including an end of riding season oil change and fluid flush.

Issue: When I start off riding both my front and rear brakes work as expected with good feel and modulation. As I continue to ride some distance both brakes begin to feel spongy and the travel on the foot brake and hand break increase dramatically. I can barely push the foot brake down far enough for it to work and the front brake lever comes nearly to the bar end. I use a two-finger method on the front brake but risk pinching my fingers on the bar end. Any ideas? Hot weather related? I don't think I'm hard on the brakes and certainly don't ride them.

Thanks!

#4 ·
Also an Exharley rider! I hear you - fluids were flushed at the end of last year so the bike would be ready to go once the snow melted. Yes, the dealer will be taking a look at this but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same issue.

#5 ·
In 1 year it would be hard to imagine it's your brake fluid.
My K1600 had a issue like you describe and since it's a linked system in the R1200 and R1250 I'm going to say it's your ABS controller.
Chances are there is an problem in your ABS pump.

Next step Bleed the ABS pump and the Hyd lines maybe that will work.
Make sure the dealer uses the ABS pump to Bleed the system.

If that fails open a PUMA case and BMW will most likely have him replace the ABS pump.

Reactions: Ripcord
#7 ·
Brake fluid is Hydroscopic "absorbs moisture" when it heats up it changes to steam and allows you master cylinder to bottom out.

I'm sure most people understand this. My racing machines are changed about every 6 months but non of this matters the orginal poster was asking for opinions I gave him mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.