Rear shock absorber - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Niks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-Jul-2019, 04:46 AM (407) Thread Starter

Rear shock absorber

Hi all... im new on here and need some help. My 2007 gs has decided to leak hydraulic oil from the rear shock. Has anyone here ever changed one and are they difficult to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-Jul-2019, 08:37 AM (567)

Hi John, there are only two bolts that fix it. In upper end lower end.
About 1:55 min of video. You should have tools and torque wrench to prevent overtight. I assume that is possible only with rear tire removing.
This video is very helpful for almost all backside of bike.

Good luck!
Jonnybow likes this.

R 1200 GS '06
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-Jul-2019, 08:05 AM (545)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
Replaced my rear shock a couple years ago. Jim von Baden (who is a gold mine of information about working on these bikes) has a pictorial about replacing both shocks here. The rear shock part starts about 2/3 of the way down, with the note that it's easier to do than the front. Basic steps are:
- remove rear wheel
- remove muffler (on my bike, with its Happy Trails aluminum luggage, I first had to remove the left side pannier bracket, as it passed exactly right in front of the muffler hanger bolt); this involves the hanger bolt and the clamp nut where the muffler attaches to the cat
- remove lower shock bolt. Swing shock backwards out of the swingarm
- remove upper shock bolt/nut. Remove shock from beneath.

Installation is the reverse. One tip, that Jim didn't mention: there is a floating bushing inside the left side of the swingarm. You will see it protruding very slightly if you look through the notch where the bottom of the shock fits. You can slide it back into the swingarm using a c-clamp, and doing so will make it much, much easier to slip the bottom of the shock back into the swingarm. When you torque the lower mounting bolt, the bushing will be drawn back into position.

Easy job. Much less painful than paying for the shock, as a decent shock will cost you about 15-20% of what the market says your bike is worth!

Whizzy brakes, no FD drain plug, what's not to like?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-Jul-2019, 10:40 AM (652)

Easy job on the rear. You'll need to remove the muffler. Talk to Ted Porter at Ted Porter's Beemer Shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode