Factory lowering means what? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 13-Jul-2019, 08:21 PM (056) Thread Starter

Garage
Factory lowering means what?

Edit: What I should have asked instead: Is your GS lowered? If so, do you take it off road, and have you ever felt the lowered suspension limited your off (or on for that matter) road enjoyment of the machine?

My 2016 R1200GS is factory lowered. After almost 3 (supercalafragalistic) years with the bike, even at only 5'8" (5'9" when it's real hot out) I suspect going with the lowered suspension was a mistake. Does anyone know:

1. What the factory lowering option entails?
2. What is involved in 'undoing' the factory lowering?
3. Opinion piece: would you pay to 'undo' the factory lowering or just trade the machine in?

Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.

Last edited by fdbm17; 14-Jul-2019 at 11:48 AM (700).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2019, 12:53 AM (245)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbm17 View Post
My 2016 R1200GS is factory lowered. After almost 3 (supercalafragalistic) years with the bike, even at only 5'8" (5'9" when it's real hot out) I suspect going with the lowered suspension was a mistake. Does anyone know:

3. Opinion piece: would you pay to 'undo' the factory lowering or just trade the machine in?
Why do you consider it a mistake?
Factory lowered has different shocks and a lowered seat.....I think
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2019, 07:00 AM (500)

Red face Factory lowered

I have a 2017 R1200GSA, and I have the factory lowered suspension and love it. I can now sit on the bike and put both feet flat on the ground with my 28" inseam. I wasn't even able to do that with an RT from 2008 on. The front and rear shocks are shorter, as is the side stand. Am unsure of the center stand, and my seat is the standard one with 2 settings-not lowered. I keep the shocks set on either normal or soft ride which allows bike to sit lower, and on single rider. All this keeps my ride lower, but the low seat only lowers the seat which makes ones knees to be more bent like a jockey and for me that is uncomfortable.
fdbm17 likes this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2019, 08:27 AM (561)
Super Awesom Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbm17 View Post

I would sell it to another height challenged person and get a new one. The new TFT display alone is worth a new bike.
fdbm17 likes this.

Rick
2018 R1200GS
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2019, 09:26 AM (601)

Or better still, spend less than the cost of the upgrade to a new bike on custom suspension from Touratech or the likes, You’ll have a bike specifically tuned to you, with better suspension than a new bike with standard height suspension. And you can always transfer the suspension to a second or third generation 1250, when the bugs have been ironed out. I suspect however you’ll need to replace or mod your side stand-minor really. The TFT is nice but not a reason to trade in.
fdbm17 likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2019, 11:25 AM (684) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by virkdoc View Post
Why do you consider it a mistake?
Factory lowered has different shocks and a lowered seat.....I think
"Mistake" is probably a bit strong ... I should have asked: For those of you with a factory lowered bike, do you take them off road, and have you ever felt the lowered suspension was a limitation? The gist being: I want to start riding my bike off the pavement, and I want to use my own bike to do the level 1 GS course.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2019, 11:29 AM (686) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimboAZ View Post
I have a 2017 R1200GSA, and I have the factory lowered suspension and love it. I can now sit on the bike and put both feet flat on the ground with my 28" inseam. I wasn't even able to do that with an RT from 2008 on. The front and rear shocks are shorter, as is the side stand. Am unsure of the center stand, and my seat is the standard one with 2 settings-not lowered. I keep the shocks set on either normal or soft ride which allows bike to sit lower, and on single rider. All this keeps my ride lower, but the low seat only lowers the seat which makes ones knees to be more bent like a jockey and for me that is uncomfortable.
Interesting ... mine came with the low seat. Part of my original calculus was: I could swap out the low seat for the regular one of I wanted / needed a plusher ride and / or more open knee angle. That said, I keep my low seat in its high position all the time (lowered suspension + low seat + high seat position), which I believe is the same seat height as low seat + low position + normal suspension (on the GS at least ... probably different on the GSA).

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2019, 11:30 AM (687) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick92040 View Post
I would sell it to another height challenged person and get a new one. The new TFT display alone is worth a new bike.
That TFT screen is the one thing I would most likely trade my 2016 in for.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2019, 11:36 AM (691) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdoss View Post
Or better still, spend less than the cost of the upgrade to a new bike on custom suspension from Touratech or the likes, You’ll have a bike specifically tuned to you, with better suspension than a new bike with standard height suspension. And you can always transfer the suspension to a second or third generation 1250, when the bugs have been ironed out. I suspect however you’ll need to replace or mod your side stand-minor really. The TFT is nice but not a reason to trade in.
That thought has crossed my mind. I recently watched Bret Tkacs' suspension videos with Ted Porter from Beemershop and thought "I too want the very best possible suspension that money can buy." Looks like the Touratech shop in Bromont, QC has closed its doors, but there seems to be another one in Montreal now (could be the same people, just moved).

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2019, 02:47 PM (824)

Garage
My friend has a factory lowered 1250 and we have traveled offroad together in hostile terrain.....and he has been just fine
fdbm17 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode