Trigger Wire 2016 GS 1200 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-Aug-2019, 07:29 AM (520) Thread Starter
Just Want To Ride

Trigger Wire 2016 GS 1200

I'm in the process of adding a PDM 60,Wondering where you tap into for a simple trigger wire ? Also I'm adding Weiser led front and rear Turn Signals, Brake lights ,Do I still need to use the relays from Weiser or can I hook them directly to the pdm 60 minus the relay, And help would be appreciated, (New to Canbus Systems) TIA Mike B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-Aug-2019, 09:36 AM (609)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
a lot of people use the heated grips fuse wire, under the front seat toward the front. I tried that, but switched to the tail light wire instead. The reason I did was that the delay-to-off of the grips wire was unsuitable for me, it was too short. I wanted to have something that was on-off with the ignition and it was not.
So, I used the tail light wire and set the delay I wanted on the PDM. That said, that grips wire works fine for many people, and may for you. I do NOT know how it plays with the delay settings in the PDM, but the tail light works fine. If you use it, look for it NOT at the tail light plug insertion, but along the side where it is wrapped with other wires and tucked under the frame of the rear rack...much easier to get to and tap.
also, Many people just use the positap, but many will hit the trigger with a bit of solder. I did the solder thing, but 1) I am anal about these things and 2) I only wanted to do it once.

Search for this info over on advrider.com and you'll find a lot of info on this.

You need a windows computer to set the delays on the PDM, unless that changed, and it can be tricky, it was for me, because the process is a bit confusing, though there are instructions...again advrider is your friend on this.

Because it was confusing, I wrote it down--my process-- and have it tacked to the wall in my basement. the PDM has been in place for nearly three years and over 50k miles and I have not needed to tweak my initial settings.

Can't help on the weisers, sorry.

If you haven't purchased the PDM yet, look at the EZCan as an alternative, lots of people happy with it. When I put the PDM on, it was the latest and greatest.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-Aug-2019, 01:52 PM (786) Thread Starter
Just Want To Ride

Thanks for the info. That will get me in the Right Direction,I need to spend more time here reading and learning

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-Aug-2019, 06:19 PM (972) Thread Starter
Just Want To Ride

Okay I have the pdm 60 hooked up, and I used the 7.5 amp power supply right at the end of fuel tank next to the 10 amp in the same location,my question is, is it common for those fuses to also have a delay when the ignition is turned off? I was hoping as soon as I turned it off it would kill everything at that same time, yes I know the pdm 60 has a delay,but the trigger wire from the 7.5 amp fuse continues to stay powered up once the switch is off, so my added driving lights stay on after I have walk away for a lot longer then what I'm instrested in, Any idea as to what is happening.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 13-Aug-2019, 06:18 AM (470)

Garage
Trigger Wire 2016 GS 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by $$Badger1# View Post
Okay I have the pdm 60 hooked up, and I used the 7.5 amp power supply right at the end of fuel tank next to the 10 amp in the same location,my question is, is it common for those fuses to also have a delay when the ignition is turned off? I was hoping as soon as I turned it off it would kill everything at that same time, yes I know the pdm 60 has a delay,but the trigger wire from the 7.5 amp fuse continues to stay powered up once the switch is off, so my added driving lights stay on after I have walk away for a lot longer then what I'm instrested in, Any idea as to what is happening.
That is common for the 7.5 fuse to stay powered up after the ignition is switched off. On my '18 GSA, it stays on for about 45 seconds. On my '14 GSA, I had the PDM triggered to the tail light wire and it shut down immediately when the ignition was switched off. I tried that with the '18 GSA and I was handed a fault code. After that, I quit looking and used the 7.5 fuse.

Rowe Electronics has made the PDM dash accessible to Mac users.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 13-Aug-2019, 06:11 PM (966)

Garage
My PDM60 Trigger wire is the tail light wire as above. It does stay on a few seconds after ignition is switched off as well. With the Weisers - I have the front white/yellow driving/turn signals. My install was slightly different as I also installed Shroedie Roundel LEDs (go underneath the BMW roundels on the side). Since those are powered off the PDM 60, I hooked the Weiser fronts in parallel - no relay required. The Shroedies and Weisers are actuated off the same trigger wire, so no relay required. On the rear Weiser turn signals, I don't have the brake combo - so sorry on that one. I'll check with my buddy to see if he used the included relay for his Weiser Rear combos.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 13-Aug-2019, 07:31 PM (021)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
Yes on the delay up front. That is what I was referring to. It was not a convenient delay at all. That's why I went to the tail light. Does it have a delay as said, I don't know, but it is easy to work with if there is one.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 27-Aug-2019, 04:27 PM (893)

For anybody who is interested I just installed the Rowe electronics Amplink. The next step up from the PDM 60. Anyway they state a 12 volt switched source for the trigger and I wondered if it would switch with less voltage. So e-mailed them last week and they say 3 volts is the minimum.

Last edited by JMB711; 27-Aug-2019 at 04:29 PM (895).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode