Getting Tired if the Faulty Spring Strut Warning - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 17-Aug-2019, 05:26 AM (435) Thread Starter
LAS

Getting Tired if the Faulty Spring Strut Warning

While it is a distinct pleasure to ride my R1250 GS HP, it is an annoyance that every time that I find myself in heavy traffic on a warm day (which is every day on my daily commute into NYC), it does not take long for the Faulty Spring Strut warning to take over my TFT display. The first time it happened, I believed it and brought the bike to a dealer to correct the fault. I was told that a recalibration of the strut was necessary and would solve the problem. The next time it happened, I was told by a different dealer to whom I had dutifully taken the bike for the repair that this was a known problem. Again, recalibration was the “cure.” The third time it happened, I asked the dealer if a fix of the “known problem” was in the works and was told that they had no info on a fix but that, as I had experienced, there was really nothing untoward going on with the spring strut on my bike. It was working normally. The warning was the product of an overheated sensor. No need to recalibrate.
The warning has occurred too many times to count since. I have learned to ignore it, but it is an annoyance. Anyone know anything different? Has anyone’s spring strut actually failed to work as intended? Anyone else getting tired of getting the warning?

Last edited by LAS; 17-Aug-2019 at 05:30 AM (437).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 29-Aug-2019, 10:14 AM (635)

Haven’t struck that warning on my R1250GS HP, but on my short commute I sometimes get warnings albeit for only a few seconds of over heating and to check the coolant levels. But I wonder if it’s related to your problem. At those times my right side calf can sometimes cook. Trying to find the source of the heat, I noticed the rear shock and reserve almost scorching hot. I have no idea where the sensor is, but maybe a heat shield of some sort might work. Not a lot of help I know but maybe this will trigger some others to chime in.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 30-Aug-2019, 03:23 AM (349)

Strut warning light

https://ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/new-car-lemon-law-qa

I am loathe to suggest any legal action but you may find a faster solution/resolution by putting BMWNA on notice of a repeated safety issue with your motorcycle by sending them a certified letter indicating your desire to have this resolved before proceeding with other 'options' - give your dealer a heads up so they aren't blindsided.

It's not going to fix itself and I view any suspension malfunctions as extremely serious serious.

Good luck and safe travels

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 30-Aug-2019, 10:34 AM (648)

Is there no way to clear the screen when that happens? I've had the tire sensores taking over the screen saying that I need to check the tires. A real pain in the ass as you only can see the speed at that point.

Tanque 55
79 Super Glide
99 KLR
2015 Street Glide (gone):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 GSA
2019 1250 GSA
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 30-Aug-2019, 06:46 PM (990) Thread Starter
LAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tactical1 View Post
https://ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/new-car-lemon-law-qa

I am loathe to suggest any legal action but you may find a faster solution/resolution by putting BMWNA on notice of a repeated safety issue with your motorcycle by sending them a certified letter indicating your desire to have this resolved before proceeding with other 'options' - give your dealer a heads up so they aren't blindsided.

It's not going to fix itself and I view any suspension malfunctions as extremely serious serious.

Good luck and safe travels
Thanks. As I had stated, the problem is a false warning, not an actual suspension malfunction. The warning is an annoyance, nothing more as far as I can tell.
I would like BMW to fix the problem and expect that it will as, I understand from my dealer, this is a known issue. Please don’t anyone now recant on this thread horror stories of issues known by BMW in their cars and bikes that they did not address. I’m not naive.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 30-Aug-2019, 06:54 PM (995) Thread Starter
LAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Is there no way to clear the screen when that happens? I've had the tire sensores taking over the screen saying that I need to check the tires. A real pain in the ass as you only can see the speed at that point.
Yes, as is the case with all warnings of a non life or bike damaging nature, a push of the Wunderlich wheel to the left clears the warning (but the yellow warning symbol stays lit until the bike is turned off). Still, the warning popping up while my left foot is baking and I’m stuck in slow or not moving traffic on a hot summer day is adding insult to injury (metaphorically). Hopefully, the mother ship in the fatherland will come up with a fix before long.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 31-Aug-2019, 09:05 AM (587)

Haven't seen a 2019 up close and personal yet so cant compare to my 17. But didn't I read somewhere that BMW sort of rerouted the exhaust on the 19 models??
Maybe some exhaust heat wrap would help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode