Aftermarket LED Indicators; LAMP Error - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2019, 07:52 AM (536) Thread Starter

Lightbulb Aftermarket LED Indicators; LAMP Error

Hi all, had a quick question about installing some aftermarket LED indicators for my 2016 GSA. As I understand it, you can no longer have your bike flashed to be compatible with the lower load generated by aftermarket LEDs and need to wire a resistor in parallel with the LED to simulate the load of the OEM bulb and clear the LAMP error on the dash.

I tried this with a 12v 10 ohm resistor that I bought off Amazon, but was only able to clear the error and the rapid flashing during the short window between powering the bike on and starting the engine. Interestingly enough, after starting the engine, the LEDs do not blink at all, and the same LAMP error is given on the dash. Id imagine the voltage increases as the bike is started, mayhaps this ups the amperage and voids the resistor?

Note: the 10 ohm resistors worked, but only until the bike was started, then the indicators did not work at all. It should also be stated that I tested wiring the OEM bulbs in parallel with the LED indicators to simulate stock load (since the LEDs have next to no resistance) and everything worked fine. A Voltmeter found the OEM bulbs to be right at 2 ohms of resistance. Id imagine you could, therefore, use a 2 ohm resistor, but I cannot find one that low for purchase, and driving around with an extra set of indicators dangling from the nose is only slightly ridiculous looking...

Has anyone had experience with this, or found a solid work around? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2019, 09:39 AM (610)

Garage
I have the Weiser 2-in-1 LED brake light/ turn signal indicator upgrade on the rear and ultra bright LED indicator upgrades on the front of my 2017 GSA.
The first time I took my bike in for a service after I installed the upgrades, the tech said he got a error when he hooked my bike up to the diagnostic computer.
Apparently they flash rate is different compared to OEM indicators?
I don't remember if it was faster or slower. they look normal to me, except they are bright as hell.
But after that visit they have never gotten another error indication.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2019, 06:38 PM (984)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno23 View Post
I have the Weiser 2-in-1 LED brake light/ turn signal indicator upgrade on the rear and ultra bright LED indicator upgrades on the front of my 2017 GSA.

The first time I took my bike in for a service after I installed the upgrades, the tech said he got a error when he hooked my bike up to the diagnostic computer.

Apparently they flash rate is different compared to OEM indicators?

I don't remember if it was faster or slower. they look normal to me, except they are bright as hell.

But after that visit they have never gotten another error indication.

I installed the same on my 1250GS before first service without any issues. Did you try them with only one side done to compare? The LED are a slightly faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-Sep-2019, 08:25 AM (559)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytriumph View Post
I installed the same on my 1250GS before first service without any issues. Did you try them with only one side done to compare? The LED are a slightly faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did install them on one side to compare. Huge difference.
Then after I installed them on the front I compared the front and back in my darkened garage, again a huge difference.
I think they are a little expensive, but I wouldn't hesitate to install them on another bike.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-Sep-2019, 05:16 AM (427)

Garage
Aftermarket LED Indicators; LAMP Error

I've been running LED turn signals from Dynamic Motorrad and have had no issues.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode