'08 GS Adv: No rear brake after service - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-Sep-2019, 07:22 PM (015) Thread Starter

'08 GS Adv: No rear brake after service

I just did my ~24,000 service on my 2008 R1200GS Adventure with just under 60,000 miles on it, a task I've done several times before on this and previous 1200GS bikes.

As part of that service I did a brake fluid flush, a task I've done before (also have done brake pad replacement before) on this bike, no previous problems. As usual, I wiggled the rear caliper a little before removal from rotor to slightly spread pads to ease re-installation afterwards.

This time, however, while front brakes bled fine and are working AOK, rear brakes are non-functional. Have pumped the pedal maybe 100 times in a row and can't get anything like pressure in the rear brake system with bleed valve closed. With bleed valve open have no fluid coming out of valve, and fluid level in rear reservoir remains unchanged. Pedal pumps up and down and apparently does nothing.

Thinking the rear brake master cylinder is bad, but before I order a $217 part I thought I'd pass the problem by the collective wisdom found here. :-)

Could the problem perhaps be air trapped in the rear caliper? I didn't fully depress the pistons when I took the caliper off the rotor, just wiggled the pads a bit loose to ease re-installation afterwards. Still, even if air is trapped in rear caliper, wouldn't brake fluid still come out of the bleed valve, and leave the reservoir, when bleeding (but the trapped air in caliper would leave pedal soft)?

If it does come to replacing the rear brake master cylinder, anything special I should be aware of? Do I just unbolt the old one, bolt in a new one, and run a bunch of DOT4 through the system, normal bleeding style? (I do have the GS-911 for doing the ABS bleed function.)

I should also mention that I've almost never touched the rear brake in nearly 60,000 miles, using it only very rarely, but I did use it a few times in the last month and it was working OK at that point. Also, I don't see any fluid leaking from anywhere, not rear caliper, not master cylinder, not reservoir.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-Sep-2019, 02:14 AM (301)

A few ideas fwiw

Have you checked reservoir hose? If this has deteriorated then it might not be feeding fluid to m/c. Remove reservoir and hose and check liquid flows through. Rubber does die over time

M/c not rebuildable from what I recall, but you can remove and clean it up with some silicone spray. you should be able to determine if it works by attaching a good reservoir hose and pumping fluid out of it

You can use a vacuum type bleeder to pull fluid through.

Seems unlikely to be blockage in caliper, but you can test this by pushing fluid through bleed nipple with syringe and checking it comes out clean from banjo hole

If you isolate and check each component you should be able to narrow down the location of the issue

one other point to note is that if the lines have no fluid, it can be a pita bleeding them. If you pump pedal multiple times and bleed quickly fluid will eventually start moving
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-Sep-2019, 04:23 AM (391) Thread Starter

Many thanks for the suggestions, JohnJo, I'll try those out!

--Andrew

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-Sep-2019, 08:02 AM (543)

pleasure. hope some of it is of use and you sort it soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode