Experience with Motul 300v in recent 12xx boxers - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-Sep-2019, 03:46 PM (865) Thread Starter
Hopeful new 1250 GSA'er

Experience with Motul 300v in recent 12xx boxers

Hey folks, new member, not new rider,

First off before anyone gets testy, this isn't a question about which oil is better etc., --> I've been a committed Motul 300V user for some decades now (mainly Japanese inline 4's), so this definitely isn't THAT kind of question . . . I have two different requests for experience, please,

The new R1250GSA that I just now have (2019), uses BMW oil of course and I'm well acquainted with the BMW perspective on their oil and why it's best for their bikes, and I even understand some of their rationale,

But . . . I've had such good results with 300V even though it costs more, part of me really still wants to use it long term in Kozel (my new boxer - all front-end/chest large, and narrow hips (sans cases!), just like my goat bucks!)

So, I'm sure some people can comment on the current ability/inability of BMW to withhold warranty coverage if I don't use their branded oil, this has been legally disallowed in the car market, I believe . . .

and secondly, can anyone say what their experience of Motul 300V (assuming correct grade) has been in a recent model boxer 12xx engine? the whole BMW boxer way of doing things is currently new to me, I've only got familiarity with inline 4 cyl engines, so the questions of what boxers should sound like, what difference decent oil makes in their banginess and function, etc., and similar issues, is also a black box so far,

so it's possible that most folks swear by BMW oil, or no one really does and people are happy with all sorts of different oils, but, again, I'm not asking about other oils per se, but about peoples specific experience with this particular one, though . . .

. . . I've also been pretty happy with the US Redline oil for years, which, base stock wise, seems fairly similar (polyol ester), so could include this oil in my two questions too . . .

so,

1) can BMW void a new bike warranty if I don't use their oil?
2) has anyone had good/bad experience with (probably 5-40) Motul 300V or Redline Synth.?

cheers folks!

glad yer all here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-Sep-2019, 05:17 PM (928)

Funny you should ask......

NO! BMW will not void your warranty for not using their oil or filters, just make sure the oil meets their minimum specs. Just keep your receipts and keep a log of when you did your service

I'm not an oil snob and generally go for the cheapest oil I can find that still meets the OEM recommendation

Now, here's the funny...remember I'm cheap. I couldn't find 5W40 oil anywhere within an 80Kms radius of my small town. Except for one bike shop that had Motul 300V, a 4 litre jug was $98.00 Cdn.

I spent the money and the first thing I noticed was how easier the bike shifted, that grinding that I sometimes got when shifting in the lower gears was gone.

I'm not saying this stuff is the greatest and I probably won't buy it again as I can't justify the price. And I've never heard of engine failure because someone used cheap oil. The key is to follow the recommended change intervals.

brian

Riding "Sir Falls Downalot"

A wish is a desire without an attempt.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-Sep-2019, 06:22 PM (973)

Canadian tire

Hey Candubrain, Last week Canadian tire had 5w40 Rotella T6 with all the appropriate certifications for our bikes on sale, $40 for 5 litres. i have been using it for years changing every 10,000km. There must be a CTC pretty close to you.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 14-Sep-2019, 05:36 PM (941)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallanderGS View Post
Hey Candubrain, Last week Canadian tire had 5w40 Rotella T6 with all the appropriate certifications for our bikes on sale, $40 for 5 litres. i have been using it for years changing every 10,000km. There must be a CTC pretty close to you.

I saw that, I've used it in the past in my HD's with no problems. Would you believe even though I've used it in the past, I had forgotten about it when I called around looking for oil.

Next service with be with the T6
thanks
b

Riding "Sir Falls Downalot"

A wish is a desire without an attempt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
300v, motul, oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode