Temporarily Remove TFT Display - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-Sep-2019, 11:12 PM (175) Thread Starter
New to the Enduro Game

Garage
Send a message via AIM to brucechristy
Thumbs up Temporarily Remove TFT Display

2019 R1250GS Adventure:

In order to install replacement to my two broken lower brackets for my windscreen, I have to somehow remove (or gently set aside) my TFT display in order to get to the screws in the windshield assembly. Anyone do this before? Kind of intimidating. I have removed the windshield and navigation bar etc. It would be such a simple repair if the TFT wasn't in the way.

Before I gave up and paid $200 for dealership to do it, I thought I'd ask all y'all.

Thank you!
Attached Images

Bruce Christy
Draper / Utah USA
2019 R1250GS Adventure

Previous Bikes:
2012 K1600GT
2007 R1200R
2003 R1150R

"Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window." ―Anonymous

Last edited by brucechristy; 10-Sep-2019 at 11:59 PM (207). Reason: Added another image
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-Sep-2019, 09:05 AM (586)

Can you put a box end wrench on a torx bit? Looked at mine and there is plenty of room for that.

Last edited by mhcolumbus; 17-Sep-2019 at 09:25 AM (600).
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 20-Oct-2019, 04:46 PM (907)

How exactly do you put a box end wrench on a torx? Sure, there is plenty of room for the box end to fit, but nothing to grip onto.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 20-Oct-2019, 06:24 PM (975)

Found a solution to remove TFT screen

Found a solution after a lot of effort. On the back of the TFT display are three posts running thru rubber grommets secured with little metal clips. The top one is easily seen above the headlight and I removed the clip with with a pair of needle nosed pliers. The clips are not the typical kind of c-clip you can remove with a pair of snap ring pliers.

The bottom 2 clips are the tricky ones. I had to recruit my wife to hold a flashlight. If you look through the gap above the headlight and below they seem to call the "front panel carrier", you will see the other two clips. They are too deep in there to remove from the front, at least for me. If you look from underneath you can see that there is access to the clips. After trying multiple methods, the one that worked was for me to reach around under the TFT with the needle nose pliers while watching what I'm doing with the pliers from in front of the headlight. This is where I needed my wife to hold a flashlight for me. I pulled out the clips and the TFT pops right out.

Well it worked for me and looks like I should easily be able to put it all back together the same way.

Good luck!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 20-Oct-2019, 10:11 PM (133)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter_W View Post
How exactly do you put a box end wrench on a torx? Sure, there is plenty of room for the box end to fit, but nothing to grip onto.
You put the little wrench on the little bit. Exactly.
Attached Images

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 21-Oct-2019, 08:34 AM (565)

Ahh, I see the problem........a difference in nomenclature.

I'll post pictures below.
-1st is box end wrench. No way to attach to a torx screw which is where the confusion was.
-2nd is a socket wrench. Not enough clearance for the job at hand, still need to remove the TFT.
-3rd is something that might work, it's kind of a combo of both and may just have the clearance.
Attached Images

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 21-Oct-2019, 10:37 AM (651)

Quote:
Ahh, I see the problem........a difference in nomenclature.

I'll post pictures below.
-1st is box end wrench. No way to attach to a torx screw which is where the confusion was.
-2nd is a socket wrench. Not enough clearance for the job at hand, still need to remove the TFT.
-3rd is something that might work, it's kind of a combo of both and may just have the clearance.
Yeah...you're right. What was I thinking using a 1 5/8" wrench on that little bit.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 21-Oct-2019, 11:23 AM (683)

WOW! I'm going to to have to gracefully bow out of what I come to find out is just a war of words for no apparent reason. You know darn well that the reference was to the type of wrench, not the size.

Let's let the thread stay on the topic of removing the TFT and changing broken windscreen brackets like the OP intended.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 21-Oct-2019, 12:21 PM (723)

Quote:
You are the one that questioned it. One more set of pictures and you may have figured that little 1/4" ratchet tool with the set could be what I was suggesting in the first place. OP probably realized it and is done.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 21-Oct-2019, 11:03 PM (169)
LAS

I added the Puig electric windscreen unit. In order to install it, removal of the TFT screen is required. I canít recall how I did it, but I do recall that there is a video on Puigís website that shows how, step by step, to do it. I needed no help from anyone and completed the entire task of installing the electronic windscreen adjuster in about an hour. Removing and reinstalling the TFT unit was but a minor part of the project.
As an aside, I love the mod. No more shaky windscreen or stopping on a ride to raise or lower my screen as needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode