Battery Tender - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 13-Sep-2019, 02:28 PM (811) Thread Starter

Question Battery Tender

It is my understanding that with the Canbus system and other electronics that the new BMW R1250 GSA can not have just any ole battery tender hooked up over the winter.

What is an approved one by BMW that won't fry the electronics?

Thanks!

My YouTube Page:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently riding a 2019 BMW R1250GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 13-Sep-2019, 03:28 PM (853)

Garage
If you go direct to the battery I don't think it matters, you can't charge through a power port is my understanding.

--
2017 R1200GS
1992 K75S
2013 G650GS
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 13-Sep-2019, 04:21 PM (890)

I have a Battery Tender Jr. hooked straight to the battery. No problem.

2014 R1200GS with Canbus and HEX ezCAN, too.

My understanding is to use the OEM power port at the handlebars, you must use a BMW accessory battery maintainer.

David

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 13-Sep-2019, 04:38 PM (902)

Garage
What he ☝️ said.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-Sep-2019, 01:05 AM (253) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxon View Post
If you go direct to the battery I don't think it matters, you can't charge through a power port is my understanding.
Ok... maybe that is where I went wrong?? I had always connected straight to the battery on my other bikes.

My YouTube Page:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-Sep-2019, 02:37 AM (317)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsrides View Post
It is my understanding that with the Canbus system and other electronics that the new BMW R1250 GSA can not have just any ole battery tender hooked up over the winter.

What is an approved one by BMW that won't fry the electronics?

Thanks!
Optimus 4 canbus friendly and can charge right through the port.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-Sep-2019, 03:14 AM (343)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB711 View Post
Optimus 4 canbus friendly and can charge right through the port.
Yes, accurate but....

I purchased the Optimus dual charger a couple of years ago and since my GSA is in storage six months or better, unattended, I became concerned about reports that if power is interrupted to the charger while connected to the Canbus port it goes off line without intervention. True or not I can't say but given the utility of a pigtail directly to the battery terminals and the included SAE plug that comes with Optimus, I went directly to the battery and the unit performs with excellence.

Generally all these units work well, even some that are lower priced but it's all in the chip and the features provided that make the more expensive units more attractive. The only thing you do not want to do is to connect to a dumb charger that just delivers constant voltage regardless of state of charge. Those will fry your battery.
DaveFromDenver likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-Sep-2019, 03:29 AM (353) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucian View Post
Yes, accurate but....

I purchased the Optimus dual charger a couple of years ago and since my GSA is in storage six months or better, unattended, I became concerned about reports that if power is interrupted to the charger while connected to the Canbus port it goes off line without intervention. True or not I can't say but given the utility of a pigtail directly to the battery terminals and the included SAE plug that comes with Optimus, I went directly to the battery and the unit performs with excellence.

Generally all these units work well, even some that are lower priced but it's all in the chip and the features provided that make the more expensive units more attractive. The only thing you do not want to do is to connect to a dumb charger that just delivers constant voltage regardless of state of charge. Those will fry your battery.
I have been using a Battery Tender brand for years on my other bikes. I had no intention of using a "port" on the GSA. I am going directly to the battery no matter which way I go. I need a pigtail anyway on the battery so I can run my air compressor if necessary on the road.

I usually only store the bike from Dec to Mar. Unless we get a warm spell.
jaxon and DaveFromDenver like this.

My YouTube Page:

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-Sep-2019, 12:06 PM (712)

My 1250 GSA came with a Battery Tender pigtail from the dealer. (it was a demo) I need to remove the battery cover and see what size fuse it has in it. My Slime compressor calls for a 15 amp fuse.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-Sep-2019, 06:31 AM (480)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgedelta View Post
My 1250 GSA came with a Battery Tender pigtail from the dealer.
Splitting hairs: Your bike came with an SAE pigtail connected directly to the battery. "Battery Tender" is a brand name of one of many battery maintenance devices. I only point this out due to the need for clarification on different "Brands" of battery chargers, their cost and what they provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode