Electric windscreen - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2019, 01:28 PM (769) Thread Starter

Electric windscreen

(If this has already been covered please just point me to the right thread)

Anyone modify their windscreen from manual to electric? I understand the knob adjustment is easy, I'm just curious.

Thanks
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2019, 04:54 PM (913)

I never adjust my windshield. Once it is where I want it, I put a rubber ball behind it to keep it upright and stable. In early winter, I'll put the Puig Touring windshield on my GSA and leave it in place until warm weather arrives.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2019, 05:23 PM (932)

Location: Washington, Idaho, Utah, Maryland, Nevada, Mississippi, Germany, Alaska, Texas, Italy...
Garage
I've got the Puig windscreen on my '16 R1200GSA. Love it, should have came with an electric adjustment. I use it to lower the screen off road, and to raise it up depending on how fast I'm going freeway speed wise. Pretty slick unit.
Pops58 likes this.

ďThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2019, 05:51 PM (952)

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgedelta View Post
I never adjust my windshield. Once it is where I want it, I put a rubber ball behind it to keep it upright and stable. In early winter, I'll put the Puig Touring windshield on my GSA and leave it in place until warm weather arrives.
I like to see a picture of that and what type ball. Sounds like a good simple idea instead of a metal brace.
Southpaw likes this.

2017 BMW GS Adventure Triple Black
Going to war without France is like going hunting without bagpipes, you just leave a lot of noisy useless baggage at home.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2019, 08:09 PM (048)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops58 View Post
(If this has already been covered please just point me to the right thread)

Anyone modify their windscreen from manual to electric? I understand the knob adjustment is easy, I'm just curious.

Thanks
Dan
puig sells an electric windscreen! its about 500-600 Euros I think
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2019, 09:01 PM (084) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sed8r View Post
I've got the Puig windscreen on my '16 R1200GSA. Love it, should have came with an electric adjustment. I use it to lower the screen off road, and to raise it up depending on how fast I'm going freeway speed wise. Pretty slick unit.
Thanks for that, this is the kind of info I'm looking for. I saw the Puig kit online and watched the installation video (above my pay grade). It's expensive but I have the need to move my screen up and down regularly and think it might be worth the money so am glad to hear it works well. My bike goes in for the 600 mile service next week I'll see at what my dealer says about the install.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-Oct-2019, 12:28 AM (228)
LAS

I commute daily 50 miles or so each way on my motorcycle, year round, some highway and some stop and go NYC roads and streets. I need to be able to raise and lower my screen on the go when it starts to rain and when I get cold. If the rain stops before I get where Iím going, I prefer the screen at its lowest position. I hate having to pull to the shoulder or to stop in traffic to adjust my windscreen, and doing so is sometimes not particularly safe especially when itís dark and rainy. The windscreen adjustment knob that came with the bike is not easy or safe to use on the fly. To complicate its use, my phone and radar detector are mounted on the right hand side of the bars making it difficult to reach the adjustment knob without knocking into them. I installed the Puig electric windscreen adjustment unit on y R1250GS. It works great. Problem solved. Worth the money....for me.
Pops58 and Clayshooter08 like this.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-Oct-2019, 04:23 AM (391)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS View Post
I commute daily 50 miles or so each way on my motorcycle, year round, some highway and some stop and go NYC roads and streets. I need to be able to raise and lower my screen on the go when it starts to rain and when I get cold. If the rain stops before I get where Iím going, I prefer the screen at its lowest position. I hate having to pull to the shoulder or to stop in traffic to adjust my windscreen, and doing so is sometimes not particularly safe especially when itís dark and rainy. The windscreen adjustment knob that came with the bike is not easy or safe to use on the fly. To complicate its use, my phone and radar detector are mounted on the right hand side of the bars making it difficult to reach the adjustment knob without knocking into them. I installed the Puig electric windscreen adjustment unit on y R1250GS. It works great. Problem solved. Worth the money....for me.
How much USD?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-Oct-2019, 05:47 AM (449) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by virkdoc View Post
How much USD?
Here you go:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...1200gs-r1250gs

There's stuff on eBay but like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Li...oAAOSwEppb9Qyf
Clayshooter08 likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-Oct-2019, 05:40 PM (944)

Location: Washington, Idaho, Utah, Maryland, Nevada, Mississippi, Germany, Alaska, Texas, Italy...
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops58 View Post
Thanks for that, this is the kind of info I'm looking for. I saw the Puig kit online and watched the installation video (above my pay grade). It's expensive but I have the need to move my screen up and down regularly and think it might be worth the money so am glad to hear it works well. My bike goes in for the 600 mile service next week I'll see at what my dealer says about the install.
I've had mine installed for a while now, about June 17th - the installation was *really* easy. If you can turn a screwdriver, you can install this in less than 30 minutes. I think that was the extent of the skill needed. I ended up mounting my buttons on the right handlebar side, since the left was too heavily occupied, but really just followed the instructions. It was a quick after work evening install with no hiccups.

ďThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode