EBC brake pads - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By CallanderGS
  • 1 Post By Pterodactyl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-Nov-2019, 12:37 PM (775) Thread Starter

EBC brake pads

2015 GS, 60,000 km Just finished changing the rear pads for EBC double sintered and noticed one OEM pad has stainless hardware clipped to the back. Is this req'd with the aftermarket pads ?
Also had my 1st look at the final drive splines, dry, a bit rusted but not seized. should have looked long ago but a bit of moly grease has things sliding nicely.
Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-Nov-2019, 01:46 PM (824) Thread Starter

S/S hardware + fibre shim

Its back together with the S/S hardware and a 2mm thick fibre spacer that was lurking between the hardware and the original backing plate. Clips nicely onto the EBC backing plate, lots of room for everything.
Southpaw and dcysurfer like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-Dec-2019, 03:38 PM (901)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallanderGS View Post
2015 GS, 60,000 km Just finished changing the rear pads for EBC double sintered and noticed one OEM pad has stainless hardware clipped to the back. Is this req'd with the aftermarket pads ?
Also had my 1st look at the final drive splines, dry, a bit rusted but not seized. should have looked long ago but a bit of moly grease has things sliding nicely.
Bruce
Splines ok? I have 10K on a 17 GSA and will have to take a peek sometime over the winter.
Just so I know ya know?
How was the rubber boot? Did you have to replace it?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-Dec-2019, 05:04 AM (461) Thread Starter

splines

I should have taken some pictures at the time but lowering the final drive was not very difficult, I used a floor jack to support it and lower slowly while prying the boot from the swing arm. On re-assembly pay attention to the underside of the boot to ensure its seated properly.
Bruce
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-Dec-2019, 06:27 AM (519)
Survivor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB711 View Post
Splines ok? I have 10K on a 17 GSA and will have to take a peek sometime over the winter.
Just so I know ya know?
How was the rubber boot? Did you have to replace it?
The rubber boot should last you a very long time. I would say 6-8 years or 100K miles. Of course your riding conditions and care will influence your experience. A bit of 303 UV Protectant Spray for Vinyl, Plastic, Rubber every now and then will extend it's life.

I'm doing a 36,000 mile service on my 17 GSA at the moment. This is how my rear U-joint and splines looked:

This is the third time I've serviced the FD splines.

It is a good idea to pull the driveshaft early on in the life of your bike and grease the output splines and forward U-joint. It is a bit fiddly to get to the front and release the clip and even more so putting it back together, but if you do some research and know what to do, then it is not a big task. This is not something you need to do very often unless you do water crossings or ride on salted roads. The lube up front is to protect against corrrosion more than it is to prevent wear.
julit0 likes this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode