3Likes
  • 1 Post By PerazziMx14
  • 1 Post By 20-100
  • 1 Post By Clayshooter08

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-Dec-2019, 12:39 PM (777) Thread Starter

Garage
Lights????

Hey guys experiencing a odd thing, my low beam isn't working and I have a "FAULT!" on the dash??? Replaced the low beam H7 55W bulb, no low beam but works on HIGH beam......hmmmmmm!!!
Would a GS-911 tell me anything??? TIA!!!

Marty
2007 R1200 GSA

Asheville Area USA

Last edited by Clayshooter08; 01-Dec-2019 at 03:49 PM (909).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-Dec-2019, 02:47 PM (866)

Test the new bulb with a continuity tester to verify its good. More than one bulb has been faulty from the factory.

The GS911 tool is good but it can only process information from the onboard computer. It can tell you faults but cannot diagnose things like broken wires it just see's the fault caused by the broken wire.
Clayshooter08 likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-Dec-2019, 03:51 PM (910) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
Test the new bulb with a continuity tester to verify its good. More than one bulb has been faulty from the factory.

The GS911 tool is good but it can only process information from the onboard computer. It can tell you faults but cannot diagnose things like broken wires it just see's the fault caused by the broken wire.
Guess I'll get the voltmeter out as well and see if it's getting voltage, could have a brand new bulb bad!!! YUK!

Marty
2007 R1200 GSA

Asheville Area USA

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-Dec-2019, 03:53 PM (912) Thread Starter

Garage
Are there fuses anywhere? Can't seem to find any....the wiring diagram doesn't show any, just CanBus. I'm starting to wonder if it's the headlight switch, Hmmmmmmm.....

Marty
2007 R1200 GSA

Asheville Area USA

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-Dec-2019, 07:07 PM (046)
Riding a 2009 R1200gs

Garage
This is a schematic I found somewhere, it might not be applicable to your BMW but it definitively typical of R1200 motorcycle.

I use it to work on my 2009 R1200GS and it is mostly accurate.

Note the absence of fuses, all the outputs are monitored by the ZFE (main control module) for short circuits/excessive current draw. If such a condition is detected, the ZFE cut the 12v to that output (shut down and restart motor to reset).

You can also see the absence of direct wire for the lights. All the switches are connected only the the ZFE and 'ask it' to send power to the requested light.

Look at the left multifunction switch, you'll see only one common wire for left flasher, horn and High beam. The LOW beam is on by default, no power running through the handlebar switch.

1st step of diagnostic: swap the bulb with the high beam to make sure it's good (dead new bulbs are not unheard of)
2nd: check carefully the connector where you plug the bulb, make sure it makes a good contact. It's hot behind the bulb and sometime, the connectors become loose.
3rd: Measure with a voltmeter (motor running) if you have power at the bulb connector.

If power present, replace connector
Non power, check wiring from ZFE.
Clayshooter08 likes this.

Proud owner of a 2009 R1200GS....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-Dec-2019, 08:19 PM (096) Thread Starter

Garage
Yep I found it.....corroded pin on the plug for the headlight body, no voltage at the bulb so I pulled the connector and started to check for voltage and one of the pins was green!!! Contact cleaner to the rescue....then lube!!!
dsquires16 likes this.

Marty
2007 R1200 GSA

Asheville Area USA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode