Asking r1200-1250gs owners - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 13-Dec-2019, 10:29 PM (187) Thread Starter

Asking r1200-1250gs owners

Hi everyone,
I have R1250GS adv which I purchased brand new in January. It's been 3 months that I have started to notice rev is not stable between 2500 3000 rpm in any gear. It is up and down in any gear you actually feel surging and can literally see in the screen that it goes up and down approx 200rpm. On a flat road, it starts doing it in ~1 min, riding down the hill starts straight away especially cruise control on (it's like having your bike's drive chain never had maintenance and 60.000 km old). I finally had a chance and took it to dealer and told they couldn't find any issue as surging is normal as all r1250gs doing what I described. (I work a lot, don't have time during Mon to Sat)
Now all I'm asking is if you can ride at 60km/h in fourth gear. Or try to ride at constant speed and rev (between 2500 and 3000). Last dealer I took the bike said that these types of bikes is not like other bikes so rev range I notice this is low and I should ride in higher rev range rather than 2500rpm. However, I did not have this issue until 3500km.
I appreciate your time reading this and would be delighted if you can tell whether your bike does same as mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 13-Dec-2019, 11:13 PM (217)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejango View Post
Hi everyone,
I have R1250GS adv which I purchased brand new in January. It's been 3 months that I have started to notice rev is not stable between 2500 3000 rpm in any gear. It is up and down in any gear you actually feel surging and can literally see in the screen that it goes up and down approx 200rpm. On a flat road, it starts doing it in ~1 min, riding down the hill starts straight away especially cruise control on (it's like having your bike's drive chain never had maintenance and 60.000 km old). I finally had a chance and took it to dealer and told they couldn't find any issue as surging is normal as all r1250gs doing what I described. (I work a lot, don't have time during Mon to Sat)
Now all I'm asking is if you can ride at 60km/h in fourth gear. Or try to ride at constant speed and rev (between 2500 and 3000). Last dealer I took the bike said that these types of bikes is not like other bikes so rev range I notice this is low and I should ride in higher rev range rather than 2500rpm. However, I did not have this issue until 3500km.
I appreciate your time reading this and would be delighted if you can tell whether your bike does same as mine.
I have a R1200GSA (2018). I find anything below 3000 rpm is too low for cruising. I am generally always between 3000-4000 rpm.

As far as cruise control going downhill, the bike can "buck" a bit on steep descents as it tries to hold speed. Its not the engine's fault, just the way the cruise control is programmed. I think it gets confused and its on and off the throttle when engine braking is too much for its algorithm.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-Dec-2019, 12:17 AM (261) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV Wanderer View Post
Quote:
Hi everyone,
I have a R1200GSA (2018). I find anything below 3000 rpm is too low for cruising. I am generally always between 3000-4000 rpm.

As far as cruise control going downhill, the bike can "buck" a bit on steep descents as it tries to hold speed. Its not the engine's fault, just the way the cruise control is programmed. I think it gets confused and its on and off the throttle when engine braking is too much for its algorithm.
I see that makes sense however mine does it on flat straight road too (Just to clarify; not with cruise control) and down hill.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-Dec-2019, 03:30 AM (396)
LAS

Are you asking about one issue or two (surging and bucking when using cruise control). My 1250 GS does neither.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-Dec-2019, 05:50 AM (493)

OP, rpm's are too low. The bike likes to run in the 35-4500rpm range. Under that you're lugging the motor. 37mph, you should be in 2nd gear, not one higher.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-Dec-2019, 06:57 AM (540) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS View Post
Are you asking about one issue or two (surging and bucking when using cruise control). My 1250 GS does neither.
Please ignore cruise control. Surging and bucking while riding without cruise control at say 60kmh in 4th gear. Does rpm moves up and down in the screen? Do you feel anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie View Post
OP, rpm's are too low. The bike likes to run in the 35-4500rpm range. Under that you're lugging the motor. 37mph, you should be in 2nd gear, not one higher.
I see what you say. BUT does your bike do anything what I described?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-Dec-2019, 10:20 PM (181)

Quote:
Please ignore cruise control. Surging and bucking while riding without cruise control at say 60kmh in 4th gear. Does rpm moves up and down in the screen? Do you feel anything?

Can't say, I've never lugged the motor in that rpm range, it's not where the bike was designed to be run.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-Dec-2019, 11:35 PM (232) Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

Can't say, I've never lugged the motor in that rpm range, it's not where the bike was designed to be run.
Thank you.
Some says its normal, some it is not. Found only 1 person nearby who has got same bike, does not have this issue (this person have had 9 r12 and now this bike, guessing throttle body issue since my bike does not start at first). I have ridden demo bike and didn't do anything like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Dec-2019, 10:20 PM (180)

Bought mine in January as well. R1250 ADV. 8k miles so far. No issues as you have described. Only issue I've had is the left heated grip doesn't heat as well as the right. Dealer blew me off saying it was because the right was on metal. Total bull.

Ride Safe!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-Dec-2019, 04:26 AM (434) Thread Starter

Quote:
I am kinda new in this bike so I may need some help here, what gear do you choose in school zone (ie 40km/h = 24 mph)? my bike does want higher gear after ~2500 rpm as upper arrow appear above selected gear which I assume it needs higher gear guess Im wrong in this case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode