Oil cooler guard installation? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 14-Mar-2013, 01:31 PM (772) Thread Starter

Oil cooler guard installation?

Hi guys, anybody have experience installing a touratech oil cooler guard, having to take the beak off and such. It seems to be such a pain, with a few tricky bits that are not explained well, considering some guards just mount to the side of the beak with two screws, this one entails taking the whole front end of the beak apart, and then holding it in place with two twist ties, seems lame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 14-Mar-2013, 04:18 PM (887)
GS (and DR)

The wunderlich screen on my '05 is attached at the oil cooler mounting screws. Still have to remove the beak to install. I didn't find it all that much of a big deal.

Farkles

Perhaps it's harder on the newer bikes. Dunno.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 15-Mar-2013, 12:47 AM (241)

I have the same guard (Touratech).
It's not as bad as it seems. Putting the beak back together, remember there are pins and tabs on both sides that need to line up.
It only takes a few minutes.
Also, try to make sure your zip-tie buckles are at the top or bottom edges or the oil cooler, not somewhere in the middle.
It sounds daunting when the instructions say, "unmount the oil cooler", but it's also not a big deal. Then you gently lower it so you can put the guard on.

1992 K75s
2006 R1200GS
2008 K1200GT
2015 R1200GSA

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 15-Mar-2013, 07:22 AM (515)

Just did this the other day on my 2012 GSA. Like you, I was dreading the process and not sure about the zip tie connection. Turns out its really a piece of cake and a good way to get to know that part of your bike. Didn't take long at all and the zip ties are really more insurance than anything else. Go for it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 15-Mar-2013, 01:12 PM (758) Thread Starter

Oil cooler guard installation

Thanks, gentlemen for your input. Will tackle this on the next warm day, and i will let you know how it turns out.
Cheers
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 19-Mar-2013, 03:01 AM (334)

Mr. Postman just delivered a small box with my Wunderlich oil cooler guard for my R1200GS 2012 Triple Black. Any advice before I start tearing the bike apart to install it?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 20-Apr-2013, 10:27 AM (644)

ALTRIDER cooler guard installation

My only suggestion is when its time to remove the beak, or put it back on, go REALLY SLOW. There is nothing complicated about this job, just don't rush it and you'll be fine.

Apparently no matter what "decent" oil cooler guard you purchase, the beak has to come off, so I decided to go with the ALTRIDER oil cooler guard because it was cheaper.

It took me two hours but I went really slow and was interrupted a couple times. The real pain is putting the beak back on.

After only 1,100 miles I still cant believe the crud, bugs, etc that were in the oil cooler coils. Also, a couple of the blades already had a couple bends in them from small stones hitting the oil cooler. I'm shocked that BMW sells an enduro type bike that they know for a fact is going to be taken off road without a standard factory oil cooler guard in-place at delivery. What were they thinking?

The next time I'm at the stealership I'm going to pick up a few extra body molding clips that accept the screws that hold the body molding in place. I really beat up a couple of mine doing this job. They can't be more than a couple bucks each.

In-case you're wondering, those are SW-MOTECH crash bars. Another easy install job.

Below are three pictures. Sorry about the sideways view but you get the idea.

Regards,
Attached Images

Last edited by Absolutediver; 20-Apr-2013 at 10:43 AM (654).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-Apr-2016, 11:14 PM (176)

Just installed this bit tonight, the Wunderlich one in black. Very happy with the fit and finish!

A pointer - it indeed is unnecessary to remove the beak, much less the headlight cluster and instrument display as the directions indicate.

The guard can rotate, even after its tightened, allowing access to the bolt heads which obviously need to be held in order to tighten. See this video:

2008 R1200GS in Tanzanite Blue - Remus Hypercone, Akrapovic Headers, Wunderlich Performance Controller, AltRider Crash Bars and Rear Rack, BDCW Skid Plate, BDCW Light Bar and DOT's,

Other scooters:
'14 Ducati Hypermotard SP
'14 Ducati 899
'16 KTM 450 XC-F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode