gs1200 clutch replacement at 5000 miles - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 15-May-2013, 05:29 PM (937) Thread Starter

gs1200 clutch replacement at 5000 miles

hi all, my 1200 gs started to show signs of clutch problem, when accelerating the motor would rave and the bike stays there not following the acceleration, i brought it to bmw of manhattan, they told me that the clutch was dead, the bike has 5000 miles, they told me that i must have ride the bike with my hands on the lever possibly unconsciously, but i'm aware of the damage it could cause and convinced that it is not the case, i've been riding motorcycles everyday of my life for the past 18 years.
anyone has an idea of what it could be ? it just seems impossibe to me , price for repair 2300 bucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 15-May-2013, 07:33 PM (023)
GS (and DR)

What year GS?

Is this your first bike with a dry clutch?

Burning up clutches in a short number of miles is not unheard of... it usually happens to guys who came from wet clutch bikes who spent a lot of time in the friction zone. The dry clutch of the '12 and earlier bikes doesn't like that. At all.

Or you could have something like a seal leak that contaminated the clutch. You may not know which until the bike is split in two.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 26-May-2019, 08:13 AM (550)

Garage
stealership prices urge!!!

Yeah the bikes got to be split in two in order to get to the clutch. You could do it yourself if you have some tools and a small gantry crane.

When you say 5000 miles what do you mean? Does that mean that a new clutch was installed 5000 miles before you got the bike or that itís only 5000 miles that you have ridden it?

How many miles on the bike?

R1200 GSA
KTM 500 EXC
F650 Dakar

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 26-May-2019, 08:54 AM (579)
Super Awesom Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei feng View Post
Yeah the bikes got to be split in two in order to get to the clutch. You could do it yourself if you have some tools and a small gantry crane.

When you say 5000 miles what do you mean? Does that mean that a new clutch was installed 5000 miles before you got the bike or that itís only 5000 miles that you have ridden it?

How many miles on the bike?
This thread is from 2013. He probably has his clutch fixed by now.

Rick
2018 R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode