LC Skid Plate Suggestions - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 23-Nov-2015, 07:50 AM (576)

After doing my own research and reading a bunch of reviews, I installed the AltRider about two months ago on my 2015 LC. I was wobbling between the Touratech and AltRider. Thus far, I found that the AltRider lived up to the reviews and stated performance specs. As many other reviewers have noted, the hardest part is the installation where the plate attaches to the center stand pivot points. I suggest that you slide in the AltRider pivots as you slide out the OEM pivot pins. If you don't do that, you will likely end up having to remove the 2 springs from the center stand. That is relatively easy to do, but it is not easy to reattach them without using special brakespring pliers (available for $13 on Amazon). I bought the black plate. It's nice and thick and, unlike the Touratech, has no exposed bolts or attachment points on the bottom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 26-Nov-2015, 06:05 PM (003)
Ready for Adventure!

I concur with dakozicki. I went with the black as well. I had some alignment issues. Not sure if it was due to installing with the BMW lower crash bars, but I made it work. It's a nice look and my experience with AltRider skid plates on my prev f800gs sold me on it. Very durable.

Ed
2014 R1200GSW | Thunder Gray | BMW eng. guard | Givi aux projector lights | Touratech headlight protector | Touratech handguard spoilers | Touratech header guards | Altrider luggage rack/pillion rack replacement | Alt Rider skid plate | Givi Trekker Mono-key Panniers and rack | Continental TKC-70s current | Plasti-dipped OD GRN and Cammo BRN | and more...
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-Dec-2015, 04:37 AM (442) Thread Starter

Well, I liked a few of the designs. Some beefy, others less. I ended up with ordering a Hebco Becker skid plate. It fits very well, and of course covers more, and is far thicker than stock unit.
You can also change the oil without removing, which is nice. The replaceable skid rails on the bottom offer a rugged look, and should actually help out if ever needed!
I may even upgrade to the section over the center stand later on to protect the entire bottom, and yes, mostly maybe to just look cool.
MotoMachines likes this.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-Dec-2015, 12:32 PM (772)
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddee1 View Post
Well, I liked a few of the designs. Some beefy, others less. I ended up with ordering a Hebco Becker skid plate. It fits very well, and of course covers more, and is far thicker than stock unit.
You can also change the oil without removing, which is nice. The replaceable skid rails on the bottom offer a rugged look, and should actually help out if ever needed!
I may even upgrade to the section over the center stand later on to protect the entire bottom, and yes, mostly maybe to just look cool.
Glad you like the skid plate. How did the installation go for you?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-Dec-2015, 05:46 AM (490) Thread Starter

Install could not have been any easier, as uses the factory mounts there. I like the fact that it does not need to be removed for oil changes, and is pretty tight to the bottom of the bike, keeping ground clearance. I like it!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-Dec-2015, 02:34 PM (857)
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddee1 View Post
Install could not have been any easier, as uses the factory mounts there. I like the fact that it does not need to be removed for oil changes, and is pretty tight to the bottom of the bike, keeping ground clearance. I like it!
Glad to hear!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-Dec-2015, 03:13 PM (884)

Front factory mounts is not good. Set the bike on a big rock and you potentially punch a hole in the engine block. (Seen it happen).

If you are going to do serious off road the best choice is Black Dog.

It it is for looks only anything works but don't do serious off road with any skid plate using the front stock mounts.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-Dec-2015, 05:02 AM (459) Thread Starter

With me, it's mostly roads, with some fire trails, dirt roads, other fairly open areas. This one is a great improvement over stock, and should do my purpose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode