Aerostitch Darien... - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-Jan-2016, 08:33 PM (106)

Mine has always leaked

My Darien pockets have leaked from the first time in the rain and in Kentucky it rains all the time. I use plastic bags to keep my gear dry. FYI - putting your phone in a ziploc bag can cause it to overheat and shut down. I learned that on a cross country ride through west Texas last June. The rest of the suit is absolutely dry. Having said that, I'm giving serious consideration to buying a Fox Creek Leathers Classic Jacket for my next trip. That and a Hi-Viz vest will give me the best of both worlds except for putting on my rain jacket when the rain comes along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-Jan-2016, 11:39 AM (735) Thread Starter
Kam

***UPDATE***

Okay, I got some seam sealer this weekend and traced the sewing lines with it on the front chest pockets. Just so happened that we got more rain to test the "fix" on. Well, after 1 hour of getting totally wet (woot woot! I love riding in the rain, always have), the seam sealer seemed to have done the trick. Not a single drop of water in the chest pockets (or anywhere else).

We are scheduled for more rain all week, so I will continue to test all week before risking anything in these pockets (electronics)...

So far so happy!!!

~Kam
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-Jan-2016, 12:35 PM (774)

Garage
Aerostitch Darien...

Dang, Kam, you scared me for a minute with your statement, " Well, after 1 hour of getting totally wet . . . ." I'm glad it worked for you. Another trick I uses is Aerostitch's Wind Triangle. When I know I'm going to be in rain for quite a while, I put the Wind Triangle on so it covers my mouth, not my nose, and then put on my helmet. It keeps water from leaching into my shirt collar.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 19-Jan-2016, 10:31 AM (688) Thread Starter
Kam

And the story continues.

So, we're actually getting a lot of rain today in northern California.

I suited up, and went to San Jose area for a all day meeting.

Well, now the pants ABSOLUTELY failed. My pants are soaked. I mean, I'd be dryer if I jumped in a pool!

I was hoping as I was driving that the cold I was feeling was just the cold water on the Darien pants. But alas no.

So to date, both my jacket and pants leak.

I called arrostich and returning everything for a refund.

So, can anyone recommend another suit?

Kam
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 20-Jan-2016, 02:28 AM (353)

Garage
Aerostitch Darien...

Wow, Kam, I sorry to learn this! My wife and I sealed the crotch seams on our Darien pants when we got them around close to twenty years ago. All we do is wash them occasionally and, afterward, give them a very light spray with outdoor Scotchgard. There are many good suits out there and I hope you can find one that keeps you dry.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 22-Jan-2016, 12:46 PM (782)

I have had 2 pairs of Aerostich pants over the years...They have never leaked. My buddies who have Tourmaster, Cortech, Fieldshear etc. all leak at some point.....

No complaints here...

05 R1200GS
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 22-Jan-2016, 01:06 PM (796)

Garage
Aerostitch Darien...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnor View Post
I have had 2 pairs of Aerostich pants over the years...They have never leaked. My buddies who have Tourmaster, Cortech, Fieldshear etc. all leak at some point.....

No complaints here...
All of the suits I've had, Klim, BMW, Tourmaster leaked after two or less years of service except the BMW Rallye suit. It leaked from day one. I had my wife overnight my Darien from NC to Hays, KS and sent the BMW suit back. I received a full refund for that. The waxed Belstaff never leaked but I treated it every year. I just ordered a pair of Aerostitch's AD-1 pants and have the Seam Seal waiting.

Mike

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 27-Jan-2016, 09:17 AM (637)

Garage
Aerostitch Darien...

Kam,

I received my Aerostitch AD-1 riding pants today. I called Sarah in their customer service department and asked if I should Seam Seal the seating area of the pants as I had done my Darien pants years ago. She said, "No. The manufacturing process is different and, if they leak, we'll replace them."

You may have already sent the suit back but I thought I'd let you know my experience.

Mike

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 27-Jan-2016, 01:26 PM (809)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Kam,

I received my Aerostitch AD-1 riding pants today. I called Sarah in their customer service department and asked if I should Seam Seal the seating area of the pants as I had done my Darien pants years ago. She said, "No. The manufacturing process is different and, if they leak, we'll replace them."

You may have already sent the suit back but I thought I'd let you know my experience.

Mike
Mike I was looking in to Aerostitch AD-1 pants for my up coming trip. Do those pants do well in heat with humidity as well? how is the sizing?
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 27-Jan-2016, 03:11 PM (883)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchglide View Post
Mike I was looking in to Aerostitch AD-1 pants for my up coming trip. Do those pants do well in heat with humidity as well? how is the sizing?
Hi Switchglide,

I can't tell you how they'll perform with any authority just yet. The fit is different from the Darien pants I've had for so long. My initial impression is they're more comfortable than the Darien and the material is, essentially, the same. Several of my riding bud have switched from Dariens to AD-1s and they love the fit and performance.

For hot, humid weather, these pants will be hot, just like the Dariens. On my trip this past summer out to Montana, I wore my Darien coat with a hydration vest when crossing the Great Plains in 100į heat. My riding pants were BMW's City Pants. If rain were an issue, I put on Aerostich Ultralight Rain Pants :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear I've had these for several years and they fold up to a palm-sized package. They've been great.

Mike
Switchglide likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode