Aerostitch Darien... - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 27-Jan-2016, 04:04 PM (919)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Hi Switchglide,

I can't tell you how they'll perform with any authority just yet. The fit is different from the Darien pants I've had for so long. My initial impression is they're more comfortable than the Darien and the material is, essentially, the same. Several of my riding bud have switched from Dariens to AD-1s and they love the fit and performance.

For hot, humid weather, these pants will be hot, just like the Dariens. On my trip this past summer out to Montana, I wore my Darien coat with a hydration vest when crossing the Great Plains in 100 heat. My riding pants were BMW's City Pants. If rain were an issue, I put on Aerostich Ultralight Rain Pants :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear I've had these for several years and they fold up to a palm-sized package. They've been great.

Mike
Thanks Mike. I went to BMW dealer today picked up BMW all around pants and City3 pants. I couldn't find any store around me to try on Darian pants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 27-Jan-2016, 04:38 PM (943)

Garage
Aerostitch Darien...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchglide View Post
Thanks Mike. I went to BMW dealer today picked up BMW all around pants and City3 pants. I couldn't find any store around me to try on Darian pants.
Switchglide, there won't be any stores that carry Aerostitch. It's only available through Rider Warehouse/Aerostitch. For summer riding, the City Pants are very good. They aren't mesh but they're still very good.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-Mar-2016, 08:30 PM (104)

Ad-1 pants from aero dont leak. For goretex they are less expensive and work awesome in the the worst of downpours. They have a lifetime warranty not to leak from Gore-tex. I have a pair and love them! They are also made in my home state of MN.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-Mar-2016, 04:05 PM (920)

Garage
Aerostitch Darien...

I left on Feb. 21 for a cross country trip from NC. Currently, I'm in Death Valley, CA and have been in some rain along the way. My new AD-1s and I are getting along quite well. These are my new favorite riding pants.

Mike
Switchglide likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 27-Apr-2019, 09:03 AM (585)

I went through the whole exercise of buying all sorts of riding gear including BMW gear. Finally, after reading numerous reviews I got the Darien jacket and pants. You cannot find this product anywhere but online or at there store in Duluth, Minnesota. The only time I’ve had a leak was with the crotch seams on the pants. Sent them in and they resealed all the seams for free. I’ve never had a jacket leak but have spent the last 22 years riding either the BMW GS or RT. This includes numerous trips out west and to the Smokies as well as two separate trips to the Article Circle from Michigan. I have both a regular Darien and a Darien light. For longer trips I prefer the 500 weight Darrien that I purchased in 1999 before my first Article Circle trip. I had it resealed about 5 years ago. Never had any problems. Let’s see, $500 (with the liner) over 20...it’s cast me $25 a year for the best gear I could find.

Go to: https://www.aerostich.com/suits/jack...SAAEgIiCvD_BwE

You can have the suit made to specifications.

Call them! They are extremely pleasant and helpful. Good luck hunting.
mikec likes this.

Last edited by JJSteffel; 27-Apr-2019 at 09:04 AM (586). Reason: Typo
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 27-Apr-2019, 01:11 PM (758)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
^^^^ what he says
or even better, visit them and then take a week to ride around Lake Superior.
That 's what I did.

Previously bought only RevIt, but it was time for new pants. I thought Aerostich was for old fat BMW riders---I figured I was close enough at 2 out of three, and bought a pair of the AD1 pants. Love them more with each ride. The side zipper is great for putting on or taking off, exceeded expectation on that. And they have been completely waterproof even in the pockets. I tested them on a cold wet ride in the fall to Wisconsin--they never failed.

The only thing I don't like about them is there are no loops on the waistband for hanging.
I wrote them asking if I could get a local tailor to attach. They wrote back saying that they would be a leak risk, so I didn't install. Why tempt fate. It is a pain to hang them up though using the belt loops.
mikec likes this.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 27-Apr-2019, 02:18 PM (804)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
I don't own a Darien, but I've put 22 years and something over a quarter-million miles on a Roadcrafter, so... yes, three of the four front pockets in my Roadcrafter leak a bit: the left upper one, and the two lower ones. What they have in common is that they're all closed with a flap held shut by Velcro. The right chest pocket has a zipper, and is absolutely water-tight. So my suspicion is that any leakage in the pockets has to do with the fastening system not keeping the pocket fully closed.
mikec likes this.

Whizzy brakes, no FD drain plug, what's not to like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode