Aerostitch Darien... - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 28-Dec-2015, 08:40 AM (611) Thread Starter
Kam

Aerostitch Darien...

Hi all,

Well, for about 3 months now, I've been using a Darien Jacket and Pants. No issues etc. Good fit, nice everything.

so, for the last 2 weeks, we've actually had rain in California! Guess what, the front chest pockets leak! They filled with water and my wallet, phone, etc. got soaked! My phone actually shutdown [was able to dry it out and it works!].

I spoke with Aerostich this morning, and told them the issue. The nice support lady laughed and mentioned that they know they leak and was sorry [bla bla bla]. I asked about the other pockets (bottom jacket and pants [BTW, I did not notice any leakage there]) and she said that they too could leak, and that I should put everything in ziplock bags!

I let her know that they should at least update their site to indicate that these jackets DO LEAK etc...

So, your mileage may vary, but I just wanted to give you all a heads up so you don't short your phone etc.

~Kam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 28-Dec-2015, 11:26 AM (726)

Darien claims their jackets are 100% waterproof GoreTex liner is baked in to the outer shell. I would want my money back if they are not waterproof. Thank god I went with RevIt paid less and fully waterproof
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 28-Dec-2015, 12:00 PM (750) Thread Starter
Kam

No joke eh?!

Actually, the only issues I've had was with the front chest pockets. The other pockets seems fine.

Ya, they really need to change their marketing verbiage!

It would have been another story if my phone was ruined!

Other than that, I'm very satisfied with the product, other than that!

~Kam

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 28-Dec-2015, 12:03 PM (752) Thread Starter
Kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam View Post
No joke eh?!

Actually, the only issues I've had was with the front chest pockets. The other pockets seems fine.

Ya, they really need to change their marketing verbiage!

It would have been another story if my phone was ruined!

Other than that, I'm very satisfied with the product, other than that!

~Kam
just so we're all on the same page, at no point did I get wet. Even though the front chest pockets filled with water, at no point did the water enter the jacket or pants. I was 100% dry. and I was VERY wet! it was great! the bike handled the water awesomely!

~Kam
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 29-Dec-2015, 01:42 AM (320)

I would be looking for a replacement phone from the clothing suppliers. Your phone got wet Yes it dried out and works for now but trust me it will pack up water and electrical devices don't get on. Water wins
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 29-Dec-2015, 08:30 PM (104)

Bummer. That said, I have had good success with the Aero stuff keeping me mostly dry, but anything that goes in a pocket and is delicate has always been put in a Ziploc (the freezer variety ... thicker plastic). Do their marketing materials say the pockets are waterproof? If so, put in for a claim.

I'm a cheapskate and bought my stuff used so can't complain too much. That said, I hated the jacket (too stiff) but the pants are fine and durable.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 30-Dec-2015, 03:05 AM (378)

Garage
Aerostitch Darien...

Kam, I've been a Darien owner for many years and am aware of the pocket issues. About a year ago, I "killed" my original 1997 Darien coat in an unceremonious "get-off" and replaced it with a new one. The first thing I did was use Seam-Seal on all of the pocket seams on the inside of the coat. I've some miles on this set up, now, and, so far, have had no issues.

One thing I noticed on my old coat was the pockets, particularly the slash pockets, never leaked when I was on my Harleys or BMW K-bikes. When I got my '09 GSA, though, the slash pockets leaked. I guess it had to do with riding position.

By the way, I've had more riding suits than Carter has pills, i.e., Klim, BMW, Tourmaster, Belstaff, etc. The Darien, with the modifications I mention, has been the best overall.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 30-Dec-2015, 06:10 AM (507) Thread Starter
Kam

Mike, good idea, I'll try seam sealer. Other then that, I really like the suit.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 30-Dec-2015, 06:42 AM (529)

Garage
Aerostitch Darien...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam View Post
Mike, good idea, I'll try seam sealer. Other then that, I really like the suit.
Kam, my old Darien had nylon YKK zippered upper front pockets and I never had an issue with them getting wet. The zippers on the new jacket are the water resistant type. A riding bud tells me to keep them lubricated with a touch of silicone and I should be fine. So far, so good. Also, with my old coat, I put 1/2 of an old washcloth in each pocket and, even on "frog-choker" rides, they only got damp. Again, I've had no issues with the new coat.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 30-Dec-2015, 08:42 AM (613)

Lost a phone and a camera to water in the "waterproof" pockets in my First Gear Kilimanjaro. My electronics now go in my top case when I am in heavy rain. I was told that I would have lost them even in a plastic bag because of the high humidity. I was in the tropics of Queensland in the winter time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode