Panniers set, half price bmw oem, better quality in my opinion - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 20Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-Jan-2016, 05:46 PM (990) Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
x7289155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Orange California
Posts: 371
Garage
Panniers set & TOP CASE, half price compared to bmw oem, better quality in my opinion

So

i've been searching for a pannier system for my 2016 1200GS ADVENTURE and found this set,

Pannier system (Left + Right Bags) for R1200GS 2013-2015 ADVENTURE LOCKS + MOUNTS

I was surprised that not many people knew about it, well i guess many of us don't want to take any chances and end up going with the OEM ones.
I wanted to save some $$ so i figured i'd give those a shot.

here is a youtube video on how to install uninstall etc.


the set costed me $599 plus $23 shipping,
Iv seen those posted on amazon.com with free shipping but now it's out of stock on amazon, but it's available on ebay and their own website.

i also got the top case just today, its really great, $299 only.. fits well and feels very sturdy, here is a video i just made, install uninstall
Switchglide, Boneheadnw and Vin829 like this.

2016 1200GS ADVENTURE WITH ALL THE GOODIES

Last edited by x7289155; 06-Mar-2016 at 06:58 PM (040).
x7289155 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-Jan-2016, 06:14 PM (010)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: West chesterfield,NH.
Posts: 40
I looked at them before I purchased my GSA with OEM bags,
They do look very good BUT they are made in China so I would not buy them because of that!
happyjoe likes this.

Harley
2018 R1200 GSA Rallye
2014 K 1600 GTLE
Harley is offline  
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-Jan-2016, 03:32 PM (897) Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
x7289155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Orange California
Posts: 371
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I looked at them before I purchased my GSA with OEM bags,
They do look very good BUT they are made in China so I would not buy them because of that!
if "made in china" is a deal breaker for you, then you will end up with nothing to use cause almost everything we use on a daily basis is made there.. Also stuff assembled in china is getting better and better by the day, at the end, workers are human whether they speak chinese or german, they just need to be trained well and quality must be controlled well to get the product well made.

Where do u think your phone was made? iphone or samsung or anything acient? or your navigator V? ... all garmin products i think are made in china. i did not check my navigator V, but i have other garmin products and they are all made in asia.

i would be more scared of electronics made in china than couple pieces of thick metal pieces welded nicely together. there is nothing to go wrong in there but plenty to go wrong with circuit boards and electronics.

BMW and mercedes benz are no longer manufacturing everything in germany, my 2014 cla250 is made in hungary.
Switchglide and happyjoe like this.

2016 1200GS ADVENTURE WITH ALL THE GOODIES

Last edited by x7289155; 12-Jan-2016 at 03:42 PM (904).
x7289155 is offline  
 
post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-Jan-2016, 03:40 PM (903) Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
x7289155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Orange California
Posts: 371
Garage
I'm curious though where did you see where it's made ?
my panniers set are not tagged made in where, it's not that i care. but just curious.

I would think since the price of stainless steel is the same across the countries, stainless steel is like any other material,
i would think that welding it here in the U.S is cheaper than welding it in another country and shipping it and pay customs and everything.

anyhow, the manufacturing done on those is just the RIVETS which is done by a tool and the welding also done by a tool.
The tolerances and dimensions are perfect, the weld lines are also perfect. The lock cylinder is also of good quality.

and if i'm saving $1000 on other welded metal pieces stamped BMW... i would still take that chance.

I'm very happy with mine and planning to order the top case. I will probably make a video about that one also, I just need to send them the code for my key of the current panniers i have on my bike so that they change the cylinder lock on the top case to match the locks that i have. This will allow me to have 1 key that locks and unlocks all 3 cases instead of 2 keys.

anyway good luck boycotting Chinese made anything .

2016 1200GS ADVENTURE WITH ALL THE GOODIES

Last edited by x7289155; 12-Jan-2016 at 03:49 PM (909).
x7289155 is offline  
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 13-Jan-2016, 09:05 AM (628)
Junior Member
 
RoughRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by x7289155 View Post
So

i've been searching for a pannier system for my 2016 1200GS ADVENTURE and found this set,

Pannier system (Left + Right Bags) for R1200GS 2013-2015 ADVENTURE LOCKS + MOUNTS

I was surprised that not many people knew about it, well i guess many of us don't want to take any chances and end up going with the OEM ones.
I wanted to save some $$ so i figured i'd give those a shot.

here is a youtube video on how to install uninstall etc.
https://youtu.be/Mzpi1rnnSu8


the set costed me $599 plus $23 shipping,
Iv seen those posted on amazon.com with free shipping but now it's out of stock on amazon, but it's available on ebay and their own website.
Looks like a good find...clear cost advantage over OE bags. Long as stainless is same quality and construction is sound, I wouldn't hesitate to go with a set if I was in the market. Only thing that might worry me (and I'd really need to play with it to tell), are the latches you cinch down from the inside of each bag coming loose.
RoughRider is offline  
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 13-Jan-2016, 01:48 PM (825) Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
x7289155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Orange California
Posts: 371
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
Looks like a good find...clear cost advantage over OE bags. Long as stainless is same quality and construction is sound, I wouldn't hesitate to go with a set if I was in the market. Only thing that might worry me (and I'd really need to play with it to tell), are the latches you cinch down from the inside of each bag coming loose.
I'll keep giving an update as it ages.
the hinges are riveted and the lock is riveted.
it feels solid and the seals seems solid.

I'm now waiting for the center top case to arrive, it may take time because they are getting me the same lock cylinder i have on my side bags so that i have 1 key for all 3.
x7289155 is offline  
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 15-Jan-2016, 08:37 AM (609)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: SWFL
Posts: 39
In the future, you can change the lock cylinder to match your bike key fairly easily. I went to my local dealer to pickup some other items, and mentioned I had just received my bags from a site in the EU, lock sets included. He had me bring the lock set inside, and within about 20 mins, he had both new lock sets matched and working with my bike key.

I viewed a video online about doing it, just hadn't gotten around to it yet, and he offered. The only trick he did that I don't recall seeing in the video was dabbing a little white grease on each of the opening where the little tabs and springs inserted, so they would keep in place during his assembly and not keep slipping out while being handled.
x7289155 likes this.

2016 K1600GT Cosmic Blue
2016 R1200GSA Matt Red
Snblislandtime is offline  
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 15-Jan-2016, 11:03 AM (710) Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
x7289155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Orange California
Posts: 371
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snblislandtime View Post
In the future, you can change the lock cylinder to match your bike key fairly easily. I went to my local dealer to pickup some other items, and mentioned I had just received my bags from a site in the EU, lock sets included. He had me bring the lock set inside, and within about 20 mins, he had both new lock sets matched and working with my bike key.

I viewed a video online about doing it, just hadn't gotten around to it yet, and he offered. The only trick he did that I don't recall seeing in the video was dabbing a little white grease on each of the opening where the little tabs and springs inserted, so they would keep in place during his assembly and not keep slipping out while being handled.
yes they can do that, but they may force u to buy their lock cylinders, i think its around $189 for that mod. it's probably worth it. that way all the luggage open with the bike key.

2016 1200GS ADVENTURE WITH ALL THE GOODIES
x7289155 is offline  
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 16-Jan-2016, 11:33 AM (731)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by x7289155 View Post
yes they can do that, but they may force u to buy their lock cylinders, i think its around $189 for that mod. it's probably worth it. that way all the luggage open with the bike key.
I don't have same case but on different case. I change the cylinder to fit my ignition key. I bought 2 cylinders from BMW $60 each then rekeyed it to the ignition key. Parts manager said since it wasn't BMW case he was not authorize to touch it. So I did it myself.
x7289155 likes this.
Switchglide is offline  
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 16-Jan-2016, 11:56 PM (247) Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
x7289155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Orange California
Posts: 371
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchglide View Post
I don't have same case but on different case. I change the cylinder to fit my ignition key. I bought 2 cylinders from BMW $60 each then rekeyed it to the ignition key. Parts manager said since it wasn't BMW case he was not authorize to touch it. So I did it myself.
i figured they would say such a thing.
im a good with one extra key! i anyhow have keyless ride, so. i never carry the key, it's usually in my jacket or pack.

2016 1200GS ADVENTURE WITH ALL THE GOODIES
x7289155 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
1200gs adventure panniers

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome