Let's Talk Crash Bars, what brand do you Have? - Page 7 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-Feb-2018, 02:26 AM (351)

Garage
I have been all over the crashbar options for the last 4 mths whilst waiting for Australian delivery of my 2018 R1200gs. Here's the way I want to go. Wunderlich uppers for a fantastic price to quality ratio and I really like the form fitting design. Touratech lowers because of the stainless steel construction, the rubber isolation rather than a solid upper engine mount fitting and once again a design that just looks right. I know that the Touratech lowers need to be removed for valve checks, but at least they bend forward over the cover they are meant to protect rather than just encircle it. I know that Altrider make a fantastic system if you go all the way with uppers, lowers and skid plate but here in Australia they cost an absolute mint. Can't say too much about the Givi option as it's not very popular here, but the protection seems to be there at the right price. Also, if you want a bargain basement set of lowers look up Mastech, (eastern European copy of SW Motech).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-Feb-2018, 02:30 AM (354)

Garage
I took a closer look at the Givi lowers, not bad, and very close to Touratech in many ways;- except they lack the cross brace that can distribute crash loads over a larger area. Touratech lowers which do feature the cross brace however, cannot be used if your bike has the long travel "sports suspension". So for my money, its Altrider by an expensive nose to Touratech or Givi if you do have "sports suspension'. Favourable mention to SW Motech, but maybe not quite as good. Additionally, if you want uppers for a 2017 facelift model, go Wunderlich every time. (they fit with any of the above mentioned lowers).
post #63 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-Feb-2018, 09:29 AM (645)
GS (and DR)

I've expressed this opinion many times... won't stop me from saying it once again... So... Uppers are mostly bling (IMHO). In the many, many times I've dropped my bikes on both street and dirt I've never scratched or otherwise damaged any portion of the bike that would have been protected by upper crash bars. Damage has always been to panniers, lower crash bars, and the ends of the handlebar/hand guard/mirror. Maybe I've just been lucky.

For lowers I've been satisfied with Hepco Becker bars.

post #64 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-Feb-2018, 02:03 AM (335)

Garage
You may well be right about the need for upper crash bars, but the radiator area just looks so vulnerable to damage that I just couldn't not do anything about it. Check out Wunderlich uppers on a 2017 and then tell me they aren't worth every cent.
post #65 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-Feb-2018, 04:58 AM (457) Thread Starter

a few months ago I hit a deer doing about 50mph, the most expensive damage was the replacement of the radiator, I had no upper crash bars and I believe that those would have protected the radiators. I have altrider lowers and they performed so well that the deer went off the road like a sack of potatoes, the bars, no scratches or dents, only hair remained. just saying
post #66 of 67 (permalink) Old 15-Jun-2019, 12:12 PM (717)

Garage
WTB Crash Bars and Farkles for my 2008 R1200GS

Hey Guys & Gals,

I just purchased my 2nd ever R1200GS last week, a 2008 model. I installed Hepco & Becker lower crash bars on my previous 2007 as I read they don't require removal when having valves checked during a service.

So I'm starting all over "Farkling this 2008" now and installing lower crash bars are my first order of business.

1) Which lower ones do you folks recommend I narrow my choice down too and for what reasons...Why?

2) Next farkle would be additional front & rear lighting to be seen better. I installed the large Admore brake/running/turn signal large light bar on the rear of the '07 and REALLY liked the visual presence it gave my bikes rear visibility! I also tried a pair of "Hyper-Lites" too but they kept screwing up possibly from the Can-Bus device. Anyone have other recommendations though?

3) My previous '07 GS came with round 3" chrome housing PIAA Lights that used a 1100 type replacement bulb which I found bulbs online at Amazon for a reasonable cost. Any recommendations for a solid, reasonably priced set of Front Driving/Auxiliary lights?

4) Lastly here, I want to upgrade the WIMPY Ass OEM horn!! I went with the Denali Mini Sound Bomb horn with the replacement wire dongle from Twisted Throttle on the '07. Frankly, it honestly DIDN'T sound much louder than the stock OEM one I took off! Although, I did NOT install an additional relay on the '07 Mini Bomb...Would that have made a difference? But overall, I was disappointed with the Plug-n-Play results of the Mini Bomb. Your Recommendations Folks?

Thank you all for your input and recommendations here. Ride Far, Long and Safe All.

Kent
AKA - BeemerBum55
post #67 of 67 (permalink) Old 18-Aug-2019, 09:38 AM (610)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paco fernandez View Post
Touratech looks great
I like how you have your name + blood type in reflectives along the side of the bike. Great idea!

Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode