R1200GS Forum banner

Let's Talk Crash Bars, what brand do you Have?

55K views 66 replies 45 participants last post by  fdbm17 
#1 ·
I am needing to add some crash bars on a 2015 r1200GS. what brand name did you get and are you pleased with your choice? there are a few choices out there. Going to add additional lighting on the crash bars maybe?

#2 ·
Mine are OEM as they came with the GSA. Since I ride a fair amount off road I REALLY use those bars and they hold up well. That said, when I did need to replace the upper tank guard I only had to replace that one piece, other brands require a complete replacement of both sides, so I did save a bit of money as a result.

#5 ·
SW-Motech

Mine are sw- motech! they haven´t been tested; were easy to install; fitted as they were OEM! The only thing I don´t like about them is the fact that you have to replace the bolt that goes in the upper part of the engine through the chassis, while the touratech crash bars do not require to replace it! In the other side, these Motechs are cheaper!

#8 ·
x7289155 thank you for the vid of your bike, what a great set up! however, you have made my "want list" even longer, my wife will black list you for this. :wink2:
what bag is that where you removed the rear luggage rack? I have no plans of ever doing "2 up" and the xtra space would be handy.
thanks to all for the replies, a-shopping I will go.....:nerd:

#25 ·
i just saw your post!.. i never get notifications on this forum.

my rear bag is an OGIO tail bag, from amazon, it's amazing, and super affordable.

fits really nicely and i can FIT TONS OF STUFF IN THERE!.

https://www.amazon.com/ogio-110091-...&qid=1489526806&sr=8-1&keywords=ogio+tail+bag

I think i paid $49.. for it.. it was like on sale, i dont remember.. but it's amazing and beats lots of other tail bags outthere.

#9 ·
I installed the full AltRider protection kit on my '16 triple black GS before I picked it up from the dealer. I liked this kit (upper and lower crash bars and skid plate) because of it's reputation for being very strong and it was available in black to match the bike.

Let me add that this GS has been ridden hard like an enduro bike in some pretty gnarly off-road terrain and takes a dirt nap from time to time - one or two of them were pretty spectacular and energetic. The bars are scratched and scuffed up but there's no sign of any deformity in the shape of them and they've protected the bike and all of it's more expensive and sensitive bits. This stuff isn't the least expensive option but I can say that I've tested it harder than I wanted to and it's ready to go with no problems.

Reactions: SoCalGuy
#10 · (Edited)
One other comment responding to your interest in lights. There are a number out there that attach to the crash bars and that seems like a lovely place for them until you, well, crash. I like a solution where I can step off of it as it's going down an not have to worry about what might break. I use the BMW aux lights attached to a bracket in the nose of the bike and leaves them mostly protected. I've bent the mount on them but the bars took the brunt of the impact and it was easy to straighten them out after the drop. Other lights have mounting systems that go up in the same area and I'd recommend looking at those vs. mounting on the crash bars.

#11 ·
I have the SW Motech on my R1200GS 2009, I can confirm that they are strong... but not too strong (they have plates that can bend in case of impact, to avoid transmitting all the force to the engine/frame).

I was riding along an abandoned railway, to pass a culvert I came too close to the track and I hit a tie, hard enough to turn the bike at a forty-five degree angle... almost crashed, been lucky enough to regain control.

The crash bar did not touch the cylinder, all I had to do was to remove and straighten it once at home.

I have installed the lower part only (protecting the cylinder, not the tank), I dont plan to install the upper part (tank protector).

Good product for the price, some might not like the paint finish (a bluish grey) which dont match the BMW silver at all. Not made of stainless, will have to be repainted/re-powder coated after 2-3 years.

#13 ·
Go stainless

I went with Touratech. More expensive, I know, but I liked the idea of stainless bars. Also, no engine attachment points, it's all frame. I did not pay close attention when ordering and didn't realize that the BMW OEM Aux light bracket does not work with these. You need to remove the bracket and mount the lights on the bars. Touratech does say this, again, me not paying attention. The clamps to mount are $50 for the pair. Assembly and mounting was not seamless, it took a couple tries to get things aligned so they would connect properly but not a big deal. I've dropped the bike several times at low speed <5mph and once at 25 mph coming in too hot on a dirt road corner and the bars worked perfectly. A couple scratches but nothing major and no paint to touch up or rust to form. Sorry the picture is sideways.

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
Touratech Crash Bar Reinforcements

I have the OEM BMW Crash Bar set on my '17 GSA. Touratech says that their Touratech Crash Bar Reinforcements won't fit on a '17. The only difference I can see is the addition of large rubber pads between the upper crash bars and the valve covers. The pads can be removed easily. Will they fit? Has anyone do this? Please advise.

https://touratech-usa.com/Store/BMW-Crash-Bar-Reinforcement-BMW-R1200GS-ADV-2013-2016-Water-Cooled

UPDATE: The Touratech Crash Bar Reinforcement Bars do fit a 2017 GSA with some minor modifications. You must cut away about 2" of the hard rubber pads and remove the bottom pop rivet and then they mount as usual.

Attachments

#15 ·
I have a standard 2013 GS with the OEM lower crash bars and Touratech uppers.
The BMW crash bars are garbage as far as strength goes, they are stainless and fit/look good but otherwise almost worthless.
I broke the right crash bar when I was pushing the bike on the grass to get it in the shed, it could not have been a lighter drop.
Photo is after I repaired it with a marginal weld job, BMW would not warranty it.

Attachments

#19 ·
The break could have been the result of a faulty weld.

The upper bars were installed primarily as a mounting point for the BMW Aux lights and I like the looks of them, they also help prevent damage to the side covers when I'm getting the bike in and out of a tight shed that it is stored in.

#21 ·
tried to order the altrider lower bars yesterday from revzilla...they posted a notice regarding the 2015 R1200 GS that 2 different frames had been made for that model and depending on how many holes in the frame I needed to order either the 2013 bs or the 2014 and up.....I had the 1 hole model but then another notice popped up that said if I had the std skid plate I would have to order the skid plat bracket as well ($15). I decided to call altrider and called about 10am their time the girl that answered stammered somewhat at my question, "if I install your skid plate bracket, do I have to remove it or a crash bar in order to change the oil?"....she finally said she would speak to a tech guy and call me back. after couple of hours I decided to send an email.......nothing yet when does not speak well of their customer service....maybe I learn soothing today or go with the tourtech...

#22 ·
Altrider Bars

I recently installed the Altrider Bars and skid plate on my 16 1200GS. The brackets are required regardless if you mount the skid plate or not. Just make sure, if you mount both, that you only purchase one set of brackets. Their skid plate does allow for draining oil and removing the filter. The system is very substantial and relatively easy to install.

I communicated with their Seattle home office folks when I mad my purchased through their European distributor. I had quick response and great service.

Good luck!

#30 · (Edited)
The crash bars come off easy enough and it only adds about 15-20 minutes max to the job, there is a 99% chance at 24k miles that your valves will not need any adjustment, you might want to consider learning how to check the valve clearance yourself if you don't already know how, the tools required are minimal and the task is simple.

#31 ·
Mine GS came with the Hepco and Becker chrash bars, lower and upper.
The looks and fitting is perfect, BUT the rust protection was so unbelievable bad..!
Mine allready started to rust on numerous points.. while it was just three years old.
I contacted Hepco and Becker, provided them with pictures of the rust, and they wrote back,
that I could have a discount of 100euro's on a new one..!

Ofcourse I thanked them for that..

#32 ·
Wunderlitch/Krauser

Ive just ordered the Wunderlitch/Krauser lower bars. Here in Australia they are about $150 cheaper than the BMW ones and are all stainless steel construction so (apparently) if the bike goes down just need a quick rubdown and good as new! I'm a road rider but we do have quite a lot of dirt roads outside the cities here so am putting them on for peace of mind, i have no intention of serious off-roadng do don't intend to test them out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.