Trailer Hitch for a BMW R1200GSA? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-Feb-2017, 07:26 AM (559) Thread Starter

Garage
Trailer Hitch for a BMW R1200GSA?

Hi all,

I'm a pro photographer, always hauling a lot of gear. I'd prefer to take my 1200GSA when I travel to photoshoots, but never have enough room. I'm curious if anyone has a hitch and trailer set up on their moto and what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

Dejan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 23-Feb-2017, 05:15 AM (469)

Garage
Trailer Hitch for a BMW R1200GSA?

I see that no one has responded to this inquiry so I'll offer an opinion. First and foremost, I don't own a trailer for my GSA. In my riding experience, I've seen two motorcycles with trailers go down. Both jackknifed.

I did transport a Harley Davidson that was trailer equipped for a friend. He had a health issue while touring and had to leaved the rig and fly home. I rode his FLHT-something for three days on 80% interstate/20% US & state routes. I do not consider myself and expert by any means.

I found that the trailer pushes the motorcycle a bit when stopping. Obviously, the more you place inside the trailer, the more push is generated. I found it to be a bit disconcerting and began riding more defensively in order to avoid panic-stop situations. Also, the trailer was a bit "bouncy" and I could feel that on more bumpy sections. Being a very amateur photographer, I'd hate to put my prized photo equipment in there.

If you decide to get the trailer, I'd encourage you to get a bit of experience under your belt before loading it up for a photo shoot. Get the feel of it and be careful.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 23-Feb-2017, 07:50 AM (576)

Ball Hitch R1200RT

Try the Bushtec store for a hitch.
Dejan Smaic likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 24-Feb-2017, 04:49 PM (950) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
I see that no one has responded to this inquiry so I'll offer an opinion. First and foremost, I don't own a trailer for my GSA. In my riding experience, I've seen two motorcycles with trailers go down. Both jackknifed.

I did transport a Harley Davidson that was trailer equipped for a friend. He had a health issue while touring and had to leaved the rig and fly home. I rode his FLHT-something for three days on 80% interstate/20% US & state routes. I do not consider myself and expert by any means.

I found that the trailer pushes the motorcycle a bit when stopping. Obviously, the more you place inside the trailer, the more push is generated. I found it to be a bit disconcerting and began riding more defensively in order to avoid panic-stop situations. Also, the trailer was a bit "bouncy" and I could feel that on more bumpy sections. Being a very amateur photographer, I'd hate to put my prized photo equipment in there.

If you decide to get the trailer, I'd encourage you to get a bit of experience under your belt before loading it up for a photo shoot. Get the feel of it and be careful.

Mike
Thanks for the reply. I've been searching a BMW forums and have found a number of threads pertaining to trailers. No bad experiances from what I've read. The problem I have is it's either trailer the gear or take the truck. The gas savings using teh moto will pay for the trailer on one long distance shoot, and I have to travel a bit. This is where I'm coming from.
mikec likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 25-Feb-2017, 07:48 AM (575)

Have you considered a sidecar ? Sorry something about trailers behind motorcycles rubs me the wrong way . I know it is my issue but it kinda defeats the purpose of having a bike

I am a nobody here ,so don't put too much weight to this response
slowriding likes this.

1974 Yamaha 100
1976 Kawazaki KZ400
1982 Honda CB750F
1986 Suzuki GSX1100R (Stolen in 1988)

2016 R1200GS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
l
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-Mar-2017, 01:00 AM (292)

Wink This might work...

Perhaps you should talk to this guy - seems to have it sussed...
Attached Images

Brent, gsa_guy and DaveFromDenver like this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-Mar-2017, 02:53 AM (370)

Hi Dejan

I have been looking into this for a while and am currently building a single wheel pull behind for my 1200GSA.

If you youtube eaglemate trailer it will give you some idea of how a single wheel high mount works. The beauty of it is the actual weight over the rear of the bike is waaaaaaaay less than putting it in panniers and top boxes. When my wife and I go touring two up with our gear the handling is bloody awful.

The mount I am fabricating mounts under the rear top box frame area so the weight from the hitch is exactly the same spot as where the top box mounts. I will post some pics if you are interested.

You will get a lot of well meaning negative responses. Dont let them get you down. A lightweight well built bike trailer is a great accessory that opens up new adventures - and thats what its all about - the adventure.

cheers

Homer J lookalike!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-Mar-2017, 04:40 AM (444)

Garage
What year GSA?
I pulled a UniGo trailer with my '09 GSA and still have the hitch and
trailer. I've tried to figure out how to male a hitch for my '15 but I'm
not having any luck.
I can send picture if you like.
Mike
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-Apr-2019, 08:50 PM (076)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802mike View Post
What year GSA?
I pulled a UniGo trailer with my '09 GSA and still have the hitch and
trailer. I've tried to figure out how to male a hitch for my '15 but I'm
not having any luck.
I can send picture if you like.
Mike
Hi Mike,

What kind of hitch did/do you have for your 09 GSA? Do you still have it and do you want to sell it? I have an '05 R1200GS I'd like to pull my Bushtec Turbo +2 trailer with and I'm looking for a hitch without paying full retail on a new one.

Thanks,

Steve
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-Apr-2019, 03:05 AM (337)

Check out Bushtec trailers. I pulled behind an HD and an MX-5 for years with no problems whatsoever, in fact, you can easily forget it's there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode