Replacement Windscreen - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-May-2007, 12:22 PM (723) Thread Starter

Replacement Windscreen

My first post. Hello and thanks for your help. I use my GS mostly on long trips to areas where I then go off-road, so the majority of time is spent riding at speed on the road. The stock windscreen causes buffeting. I am 5' 10" tall and use a Schuberth C2 helmet. The C2 is quiet, but the buffeting tends to negate the positive affects of this fine helmet. Is there consensous amongst you as to which aftermarket windscreen best negates this affect but doesn't look lke something I made in shop class?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-May-2007, 02:14 PM (801)

Hi Peebster...problem with a tall fixed screen is that it's not a good solution for when you do finally go off road...the ideal solution is a variable screen such as the wunderlich vario screen or the Touratech desierto III...

Can't say that I care much for the looks of the wunderlich screen and whilst the desierto III looks great...it's pricey...

others will probably have alternative solutions.

Desierto III Pics...

Last edited by GSRider; 03-May-2007 at 02:22 PM (807).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-May-2007, 02:48 PM (825)
Free Genie

Send a message via MSN to Schtum Send a message via Skype™ to Schtum
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebster View Post
My first post. Hello and thanks for your help. I use my GS mostly on long trips to areas where I then go off-road, so the majority of time is spent riding at speed on the road. The stock windscreen causes buffeting. I am 5' 10" tall and use a Schuberth C2 helmet. The C2 is quiet, but the buffeting tends to negate the positive affects of this fine helmet. Is there consensous amongst you as to which aftermarket windscreen best negates this affect but doesn't look lke something I made in shop class?
I believe that the current hot tip is the Givi screen + the GSA winglets. I'm currently running the standard screen + Laminar Lip + Adventure winglets but that might be too "made in shop class" for your tastes.

"A map is not the territory it represents, but if correct, it has a similar structure to the territory, which accounts for its usefulness".
Alfred Korzybski

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-May-2007, 03:32 PM (856)
Middle aged hooligan

I have the adventure winglets, which definitely help the buffeting. I tried the CeeBaileys +2"+2" screen and noticed a further, albeit minor, improvement in buffeting, but not in wind noise.. I have since switched back to the stock shield (+winglets). I'm going to try it on a reasonably long trip this weekend and will let you know how it works out.

Steve

'07 R12GS
'03 K12GT
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-May-2007, 06:47 PM (991)
GS (and DR)

Less is more

Instead of more screen, try less. A dremel tool or a band saw works wonder it cutting down the stock screen which then puts clean air around your head. The windglets might be a nice addition, but preclude the use of tank panniers which I couldn't live without.

http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gs/2006/0517-windscreen/

Last edited by marc; 02-Apr-2014 at 11:46 AM (698). Reason: Fix broken links
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-May-2007, 08:30 AM (562) Thread Starter

Replacement Windscreen

Thanks. The "less is more" idea warrants a try. When I ride my son's Dakar, the lack of wind protection creates clear air (pretty much) in the face, and the C2 handles that pretty well. I think I will remove the stock windscreen first, do some highway riding and see if that works. Much cheaper than buying something without testing.

Regards.

Peebster
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-May-2007, 03:49 PM (867)
Kool Aide Dispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtum View Post
I believe that the current hot tip is the Givi screen + the GSA winglets. I'm currently running the standard screen + Laminar Lip + Adventure winglets but that might be too "made in shop class" for your tastes.
That's what I use for cold weather riding.

Then I switch to the TT dash cover for summer.

It has much smoother air than my cut-down screen had.

Jim

Jim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 BMW R1200GS Wethead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode