R1200GS Forum banner

Heated Gear, BMW Vest

10K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  goethe 
#1 ·
Anyone here own or use the Heated BMW Vest? Looking for something like this when riding this winter. I'm in SoCal so nothing too crazy which is why the Vest seems like it might be ideal or something like it. Small not too bulky and fit right under my BMW Rallye riding gear. Thanks guys!

#12 ·
Heated jackets typically call for a 15 amp fuse and that is more than your accessory ports will permit. If you install a fused pigtail (SAE connector, https://smile.amazon.com/Quick-Disc...&qid=1506268089&sr=8-3&keywords=sae+connector) directly to the battery, you can use that for several purposes. First to attach a battery charger/maintainer, second to power an electric air pump, third to attach a mini voltage meter that allows you to check the charge while the bike is sitting (https://smile.amazon.com/Battery-Te...89&sr=8-20-spons&keywords=sae+connector&psc=1), and fourth to power your heated gear by using an SAE to coaxial adapter (https://www.thewarmingstore.com/gerbing-sae-adapter-female.html). Some heated gear brands use SAE plugs, but most use coaxial plugs.

Once you have a fused SAE power cable installed it is simply a matter of attaching your heat controller to the cable, using the SAE to coaxial adapter if required, and then attaching the jacket to the controller. There are a variety of styles of controllers including permanently mounted, portable, remote and those with multiple circuits for running heated pants in addition to the jacket and gloves. Gloves are normally powered by being plugged into leads on the sleeves of the jacket and use the same heat controller circuit.

I use the portable controller that I velcro to a rubber pad that is on the back of the fuel tank. On other bikes I have always found a place to velcro the controller. It can also be worn on your person. It makes things easier if you have enough cable between you and the controller so that you can mount and dismount while connected. I find using a coiled cord works well (https://www.thewarmingstore.com/erbings-coil-cord-extension.html)

#13 ·
Dang that helps out a ton. My bike came with the SAE battery tenure the dealer installed and left on the bike which is hooked up directly to the battery, it does have that little fuse thing on it so I suppose i should be looking at that for the fuse amp, and from what you are saying ensure it's a 15. i also have that little SAE USB think that attaches to it so it looks like that's the one I will be using along with the recommendations you showed above and yes I think I will be getting the Gen 4 heated liner. Just need to narrow down the size I think. i do not have however one of those SAE volt readers which I may purchase as well. This site is great and it's because of people like yourself willing to share information and experiences that really make it great!

#14 ·
Just to add to your plate. I'd shop around before going with BMW heated gear. Their stuff is overpriced and there is gear of equal or better quality available for less. I am a fan of Warm and Safe products, but there is also First Gear and Gerbings that come to mind. Also, I think you'll be disappointed if you but a vest rather than a jacket. Especially on a GS, your arms will one of the areas that will become chilled quickly.

#15 · (Edited)
Ok here's some pictures.

The first picture is from warm and safes website and shows the 2 channel wireless remote I use. The wire on the top of the picture is the battery lead. You wire that into the battery and stick the connector for the receiver out in a handy place near where the other lead will come out of your jacket pocket.

The other pictures are the remote receiver that goes in your pocket and a finished picture of it installed in the pocket and plugged in. The remote heat troller is up on the bars in a handy place. You can see I have the yellow lead plugged into the jacket, which corresponds to the yellow knob on the remote. The red lead on the receiver can be used for gloves or any other heated accessory you choose.

Attachments

#21 ·
Thank you to everyone who has some input here I really appreciate it. I ended up with the Jacket liner, pants and glove liners from warm & safe and I have to say that the gear is very high quality and incredibly warm. I have the duel troller and heat up my jacket liner and gloves on one and the pants on another. Highly recommend Warm & Safe products also great customer service.

#24 ·
+1
I am using the gloves, jacket, pants down to 18 degrees so far and warm. My mind is no longer distracted by shivering body so I am safe. So the brand is aptly named.

Additionally, Ive found the W&S owner is very interactive and his website are very instructive and clear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.