Connectivity Conn Job - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 25-Jan-2018, 11:15 PM (219)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st.AussieTFT View Post
Hi Troppo, I agree moulded earplugs are probably the best solution and I use them when sport riding on my own. But, when I'm with the other half I need active comms. So I might as well try to get access to all the fruit that TFT offers. Also, I am going to try out noise filtering motorsport earplugs that claim to cancel out much of the harmful wind noise yet still allow you to hear comms and traffic etc. By the way, in reference to your photo, is the 5km/hr differential between TFT and Nav constant at all speeds?
Yes - about 4 @60, 5 @80 and 5.5 @100....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 25-Jan-2018, 11:16 PM (220)

Quote:
So from what I am beginning to understand, any 4.1 Bluetooth communicator should be fine when paired to TFT. My problems stem from is fact that I my Scala Q1 is a 3.0 device. However, BMW claim that the only way to get volume control on the multi wheel is to go with the BMW system comms. Does this mean that the BMW communicator is a 4.1 device with additional and exclusive functions. Can't find specs on it anywhere. Is it actually worth the asking price?????
Be careful - I read that someone bought the BMW stuff and it still would not work...
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 25-Jan-2018, 11:43 PM (238)

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgedelta View Post
Certainly. If you're goin' to drive on the wrong side of the road, you don't need tunes or phone calls. Just my $0.02
I'm on my bike....not in my car....

You RIDE a bike....FFS....

post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 26-Jan-2018, 12:13 AM (259) Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Troppo, good to know that TFT is soft by about 5km/hr.
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 26-Jan-2018, 05:18 AM (471)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedepp View Post
I asked a well respected NY/NH/CT dealer if they could install BMW communications system 76518556710 into a BMW GS helmet 76318553008 and they politely but firmly declined and kindly offered to do the BMW communications system install into a Schuberth C3 pro which they do all the time. I am instead taking the BMW helmet & BMW comms up to Montreal this weekend to have it installed there. Montreal informed me it is a 45 min very difficult job and charging me 50 CAD. I think that's reasonable. Helmet and comms were 780 USD combined sourced from Europe but are about 8% more expensive now EUR is higher. Of course, be warned there's no DOT sticker.
Just to be clear, BMW dealers won't install BMW comms into BMW helmets but will install BMW comms into Schuberth. BMW helmets aren't DOT and so cannot be sold here by BMW dealers. They do endorse/sell the BMW comms.
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 26-Jan-2018, 06:18 AM (512)

I have installed the BMW communication system in 2 Schuberth helmets myself. I found instructions online. It is a pain but doable if you take your time. I wanted the jog wheel volume control on my RT.
Just picked up a GS Rallye yesterday and will be trying to sync everything in the next couple of days.
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 26-Jan-2018, 11:28 AM (728)

Quote:
Yippee, so the Sena 20 will definitely pair and operate smoothly with the TFT? Thanks KYJELLY that is what I have been trying to discover. Do you get full functionality, i.e. can you operate navigation, media playback and telephone from the BMW control wheel? How about volume control? How do you command the intercom? Can these last two functions be controlled by the multi wheel or do you press the Sena for these?
Only no volume control from the thumb wheel. All other functions can be controlled from the thumb wheel.
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 26-Jan-2018, 01:03 PM (794) Thread Starter

Garage
Well the Sena 20s solution seems quite reasonable, I'd forgo the multi wheel volume control considering the Sena has a big jog wheel anyway. Plus the Sena is half the price and you can fit it to any helmet you like!!! Can you unplug the Sena speakers and run 2.5mm in ear monitors if you want to ?
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 26-Jan-2018, 01:51 PM (827)
GS (and DR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troppo View Post
Music? Been there, done that. Too distracting.

Feel the serenity...
You must be an Old Fahrt

I, too, have been there and done that. For reasons unknown (old age?) I tired of doing it and have for the last 10 years or so been happy riding with my thoughts and the sounds of the bike. I think the last bit of tech to go was my radar detector. Still, I understand what some want and their frustration that they can't get it for what seems to be selfish reasons on the part of the manufacturers.

By Selfish I mean a vendor that either wants to lock buyers in to their specific solution or doesn't want to spend the engineering time and money to make sure the system works with at least the popular devices on the market.
Southpaw likes this.
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 26-Jan-2018, 02:01 PM (834)

Yes, it is very poor form on BMW's part, for sure.

They need to sort it.
dkgruv123 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode